1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD installed and operational!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bee2643, 26 Feb 2004.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

well the power adapter will switch on the screen, its very basic circuitry in regards to power, if you plug the adapter in and you get no backlight and when you change the volume/contrast levels and dont see the little meter, then there is a problem with the unit by the sounds of it.

2. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

ummm, could be. This screen has been through several different attempts but it still works when tested in the PS2. When its attached to my PC there is no life at all - no image, no back light and nothing if you press the buttons. its like the PC is making no attempt to initialize it.

3. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

well theres a power issue and its nothing to do with VGA wiring, it should still power on when plugged into the power adapter? what your saying doesn't make any sence.

4. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

>what your saying doesn't make any sence

tell me about it. im sure im missing something :wallbash:
    i have been looking at this for what seems like ages and have read and reread your article and just about every other thing i can find on this mod but im getting no where.
    are you saying that with [power but no input to the screen the back light should be on?

5. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

that is correct
    plugging the unit into the wall the backlight should turn on and when you push the volume/contrast buttons you should see a meter on the bottom of the screen rise and fall.

6. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

Just an observation but if that’s true it would imply that if you are using the PSone LCD screen power adapter the screen would never switch off, even when the PC was off…. Ohhh im so confused but i kinda hope thats not true. after all the thing works with a PS2. :sigh:

7. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

yes, that is what happens, unless you make the circuit found in my forums

8. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

bee2643 you seem to be wrong (this may be a diffeerence between pal and ntsc versions).
    It was mentioned earlyer on in the threada that AV IN does not work without the 5v DCC (or what ever this was called on the ps one connector).

With my screen plaugged in, it will not turn on unless connected to a playstation/other sony console. the volume and brightness do not with untill it has been connected to the console.

My attempt at VGA has failed, I accidently joined the DCC pin with the red pin, testing with the playstation game the image perfect, except there was no red in the picture at all. I had to remove the DCC pin then, which also damaged the trace for it. With no DCC it didnt power on when plugged into my 9700.

I want to make a new pcb for the connectors/solder the vga connector directly to the wires from the LCD controler, could some one help me find out which wires are for what. theres not much point keeping the connctor pcb if you can put the vga onto the controler pcb instead. Both conenctors taken from a dead tnt2 gfx card.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2004
  9. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Just got mine working. Ii resoldered the DCC pin back, and this time used the monitor cable that acctually had the dcc pin (th other one didnt). Htis is on my 9700np with the DVI-VGA converter.

To get to work you need to hot swap the monitor. I dont like powerstrip, doesnt work very well, esp the interface.
    The best way with 9700 is to plug in a CRT to the DVI-Vga converter. Plug this into the card. Goto the Display tab in desktop properters->settings tab->advanced.
    Now you should be able to goto propertys of the second monitor. On the atributes page set it to 720*576 at max refresh of 30hz, Click apply, now goto the advanced tab and tick the composite box. Now you go back to the display propertys->settings page and extend desktop to the second monitor.

Now that its ready you go back to the "desktop properters->settings tab->advanced->displays. Now you can swap the CRT for the 5" LCD. Note that if you leave this page and disconenect the LCD the 9700 will turn off that monitor. It will also turn off the lcd if you exit the page, and then go back after with the lcd connected, which is a pain in the arse...

edit - Ive discovered having horizonatal sync as + means you need composite ticked. If you put horizontal to - then untick composite. Vertical makes no difference. This is on the advanced page of monitor propertys for the lcd.

Problems - At 30hz it still scrools VERY fast. Other timings need adjusting that powerstrip wont let me, and ati drivers dont give the option for.
    I will try this on my 3dfx banshee and SIS 530 and s3 virge graphics tomorrow. Hopefully powerstip isnt so ****e with them.

Also can anyone recommend something to put over the LCD to protect it. Mines already got tiny amount of dust on it which I blew away. Im thinking of putting a glass/plastic window infront of it when I mount it later. for now I will just use the protective sheet that came with it.

Can someone give me timings that are PAL compatable for me to paste into powerstrip. these seem to be right, though I know I will probably need to adjust for my screen.

10. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

hmm, well i cant speak from experiance regarding the PAL LCDs unless one of you want to ship me a 120-240v converter, and a PAL LCD :D

but from experiance, the NTSC LCD's do power up and display the volume;contrast when only plugged into the wall. it does not need to be connected in order to work.

11. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

You don't need the power converter. Both screen run from 7.5VDC, so it makes no odds there.

Oh, and for PAL it should be 25Hz, not 30Hz. (25Hz Interlaced)

12. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

latest ver of powerstrip works fine, the older install didnt like my 9700, so anyone with probs upgrade your powerstrip!, although I still cant get the exact settings i need. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/themightyspud/LCDPics/psone.jpg shows i need 96 pixel of horzontal sync width, ps has a max of 56 for me.

anyone know which manufacturer mades the lcd panels? Mine has LTS500Q1 stamped onto the top corner, samsung make a 5" lcd with almost the same code, but it has different specs, I think...
    If we could get the datasheets for them, it would make this easy.

13. monkeyharris

monkeyharris What's a Dremel?

ok in answer to a few of the previous questions this is what i have found from my experiences with this mod, i have a PAL psone screen, which when connected to only the power adapter and turned on makes the screen turn a very slightly darker shade of black (so slight u need to be in good light to notice it) however, it DOES NOT turn on the backlight nor will the contrast or volume buttons display anything on the screen when depressed. once connected to a vga conector the screen will still not turn on unless the DCC pin is connected any 5volt supply (be it directly from the psu or from the usual vga pin9 from your graphics card) also i connected pins 4 and 11 to ground as well as the usual ground pins (suggested by serio here SERIO ) i run a 9800se with softmodded drivers as my primary GFX card and a pci radeon 7000 64mb as my psone screen card (also using the same softmodded drivers as they do not interfer with the cards archtecture) and have set my primary boot card to agp and the psone screen is recognised every boot up with NO hotswap required, so i think pins 4 and 11 help quite a lot, although iv never tried without pins 4 and 11 so im not sure. finally with regards to 96 horizontal pixels being required, my card also wont go above 56 and i have yet to find anyway to get it to recognise 96, however although i initially thought this was causeing the screen not to stablise, after a reinstall of windows the screen displays fine even with a sync width of 56, im not sure why the windows reinstall helped but its worked since then so im happy :) thats about all i know, and is jus my personal experience. hope that helps u guys a little :idea:

14. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Got it working nicley :D
    [​IMG]

ok it looks crap in the pic, but thats using a crappy 640*480 webcam that does only 5 fps... looks much nicer in real life - apart from the annoying flickering. Note how the webcam makes straight egdes and the lcd look curved when they are not...
    lcd was defniatly worth £40 considering it does 720*576 while my matrix orbital 2*20 alphanumeric Lcd cost £56 when I got it (and still cost more new)

Problems with lcd (not specific to vga mod for it):
    Had to change winamp skin, the one i was using on my 21" crt has really bad contrast on the lcd.
    Display flickers - hurts eyes. Depends on how good the colours contrast.
    Hard to read my winamp playlist - need to get the font bigger.

When the screen gets hot this affects components (there tollerances change with temperature) - this affects the timings you use, after a few mins i was having to adjust the timings. Turning the backlight below hafway seems to fix this because it gets a lot less hot.

On mine fonts below 12 are not clear, for example on 10 "timing" looks like "tining", "parameters" looks like "paraweters". Thats with the Lucida Console font in notepad. Whats it like on your lcd's?

*I dont recomemnd touching the pcb while its on as some traces are high voltage to drive the CCFL* - I shorted one component (not sure which) with my finger which turned the LCD off. doesnt seem to have damaged it.

Can someone work on a powersupply schematic to get ~7.5vdc from 12vdc. Also is a ferrite thingy needed to stop back EMF because of the CCFL (inductor, not resistive like the rest of the LCD components) ? A post on the kickassamd forums had problems without one - a ferrite could possibly fix that? ONly suggesting it because there seems to be one oon the 7.5v brick powersupply cable (the round lumpy thing...).

Also pins 4 and 11 do not help when tied to ground. Looking at:
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/av/vga15.html
    I think pins 12 and 15 oon the vga cable might also need to be tied to ground.
    I wil try using 75 ohm resistors between the rgb and ground later.

Timings that should be compatable with all 9700 graphics cards (Im using Omega 2.5.22 drivers), with PAL ps one screens:
    PowerStrip timing parameters:
    720x576=720,61,48,131,576,30,4,36,14881,312

Generic timing details for 720x576:
    HFP=61 HSW=48 HBP=131 kHz=16 VFP=30 VSW=4 VBP=36 Hz=24

Linux modeline parameters:
    "720x576" 14.881 720 781 829 960 576 606 610 646 interlace +hsync +vsync

porch and sync width timings dont really matter - affect teh pisitionof the picture on the screen only afaik. The difficult part is getting the pixel clock, scan rate, and refresh rate ratio right.
    My timings probably arnt the best, other timings would probably fix the flickering im getting, and improve the readability of small text.

Edit - These timings work well too, but still flicker as much as the other timings.
    PowerStrip timing parameters:
    720x576=720,47,48,121,576,24,4,40,14563,312

Generic timing details for 720x576:
    HFP=47 HSW=48 HBP=121 kHz=16 VFP=24 VSW=4 VBP=40 Hz=24

Linux modeline parameters:
    "720x576" 14.563 720 767 815 936 576 600 604 644 interlace +hsync +vsync

Last edited: 27 Apr 2004
  15. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Ok another question - How do i set up a second desktop for the 5" lcd?
    I was using extended desktop, but that doesnt work well when playing full screen games becuase it moves stuff over to the primary monitor, aswell as not being able to move the mouse to the second display.

16. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

A useful little application is UltraMon (http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/) it lets you set up things like desktops, toolbars and even screensavers for your second (or greater) screen.

Thanks for all the help guys, my screen is now very much working (not dead after all …yippee…few…yippee). Im taking the opportunity to play with resistors etc so will post again once im completely happy with it. :clap:

17. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Sorry for digging this up but the website is down! :waah:

I need the tutorial for my project...

18. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

yea, the mobo got fried in the server
    weve replaced it though, now you just need to wait for DNS to propogate to your area. (new ip)

19. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

I've got the site, but the tutorial on the custom power supplies to it is down... Great work! Found some of thes for around $69.00USD! Much cheaper than an LCD module, and they are TFT. I knew component would work, I just hadn't realized they were that cheap. :clap:

20. PeteW

PeteW What's a Dremel?

Hi, i've got a 'wild things' psone monitor that has a 3.5mm AV input. where can i get a cable that will have s-video on one end and 3.5mm on the other end so i can connect the output from my video card?