1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :blingGreen(04/03/2005 - MaximumPC's June issue! Rig of the Month!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 21 Apr 2004.

1. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Sup sup sup!

Been a while since I have been able to grab some of my own time and get back to the moddin' bench, apologies for the abrupt departure there after X-mas. Time to get dirty and throw out some more fun!

blingGreen is a prototype name. Might not stick, but for my mind's eye on where the project is going to go... it might just work! :D

Basic concept:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Internal Frame will be a metalic green
    • Side window, massive, organic design spaning the cut
    • Top wondow (influence from window design?)
    • Fan duct on front bezel
    • Tricked out power supply (lights and mesh work)
    • complete sleeving of PS leads and molex swap out
    • UV Reactive IDE and floppy cabling
    • UV cathodes and reactive paint accents
    • 4 inch cathode in power supply (green or UV, dunno yet)
    • Green metalic treatment on the CD ROM cases and front bezels
    • Royal Blue auto painting of external surfaces except the drive bay areas
    • Hard drive polishing
    • Undercase lighting
    • motherboard back lighting

I've started cutting on the victim er... new case, and the front bezel. :naughty:

Once I have my window designs figured out, I'll butcher up the top and side window. Might do both sides of the case... still throwing motif's around.

Well, that is the plan for the mods, now on to some pics of my intial deconstruction.

The internal case actually has a nice, polished finish on the steel.
    [​IMG]

Here is a good shot of the case open mechanism.
    [​IMG]

Ohhhh, if it only knew what was in store for it! :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:
    [​IMG]

Tops and side panels off (after drilling out the rivets) and everyone is feeling breezy!
    [​IMG]

Front fan mounting is 80mm, the back is 92mm. Decided to try and keep the offcenteredness of the front 80mm fan and make the duct work adapt to that. Also, in fitting the 92mm fan I realized that if I pulled all of the back mesh work off, I'd be exposing some of the flat sides of the fan. Soooo, I leave the last little ring of mesh holes and those wil be bondo'd in later.
    [​IMG]

Here is a good shot of the front 80mm fan (off center):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah... keeping the ducting in line with the existing curve of the front bezel is going to be a pain in the a$$, but I think I will end up with a nice and organic appearance if I pull it right.

:thumb:

Last edited: 3 Apr 2005
  2. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

looks like a project with a lot of potential, keep on modding :thumb:

3. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

It sounds stupid.......but a case could be "over-colored". Try not using green only. I've seen those faces before when it ends....bah...to much color there. I may be wrong here, I hope so.
    Nice job so far, keep up the good work!

Xeno...

4. Tech-Daddy

The Green will be on the metalized chrome effect that I will spray on the frame. The IDE/Floppy cabling will be UV Blue, the Power supply will be mesh modded and the external power supply casing will be sprayed the same green Metalcast. The Power leads out bound will be sleeved, thinking UV blue with black connectors all the way around. I hear the ringing concern, and I am constantly thinking ways to break up the monotany.

I certainly dont want the CD ROMS to be grey.... that would just be wrong in my book. Maybe the shells can be a metalcast blue to conincide with the blue case on the outside? The font bezels on the CD's would be the metalcast green (if I can get it to work) to break up the solid blue on the front case. I do have a vision of the look on the front that I want, and it is not just the CD fronts's that would be metal green, some of the surrounding trim work in the 5 1/4 - 3 1/2 area would be done this way too.

I was inspired on the color combo by looking thru my son's Hot WHeels cars. Now THERE... are some color combos! :thumb: :thumb:

"Overgreened"? I could see that, and I don't want that. I want a cooperative effect on the color scheme. Not all the same color (look @ Blu-V in my sig)... just consistant execution of the colors.

Thanks for the input and concerns. I really appreciate it.

This mod is going to get turned up a few notches in speed as I have just learned that I am to put one of my dearest friends into a newer PC next month. Her newer PC is going to reside in the "temp" PC that I moved all of my parts into right now! So... I have to get this thing wrapped up, and the temp case evacuated, so that I can set her up a better PC!!!!

Jeeze... work is never done!
    :p

I have found a good improvisational fan duct using a PVC drain fitting. I cut the plastic slits off of it, and will rough up the plastic a bit b4 I primer it. Anyone had issues with painting PVC pipe? Anything I should know in advance?
    :confused:

Thanks, more later!

5. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

I agree, you'll never be finished once you mod something. And that's why it's cald fun. :lol:
    I painted a PVC pipe several times, I just used graffiti since it works on all kind of materials. :D. I dunno if there are real paints / sprays for it, just :search: .

~Xeno~

6. Tech-Daddy

Minor update

Just finished roughing out the fan duct hole on the front bezel. Test fit of the PVC pipe, voila!

[​IMG]

Next, I'll cut down the length of the pipe so that it is flush with the fan, and cut the flange off of the top so that I can file down the tube to the shape of the case. Once I Have the length and the shape right, I'll cement them together, then bondo the seamwork to smooth out the transitions on the front.

I'm sitting down now and sketching out the side window/top window motifs. After I Have something pinned down, I'll mask off the 2 pieces and start cutting! (not tonight... but soon! ;) )

Til later, mod on! :dremel:

7. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

I cant wait to see how this one turns out! nice job so far! :clap:

8. Caffeind

Caffeind What's a Dremel?

should be quite a little interesting mod...

looking forward to it

and lots of pics :D :thumb:

caff.

9. Tech-Daddy

To give a bit of a hint on where this case will be headed, I searched the web for some influences and inspiration, and I found it a www.customflamepainting.com
    :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Wow, after looking thru a ton of sample jobs they have done, and blazing thru a notepad of paper working on sketches, the closest one to my style that I have found is here:

[​IMG]

Not to give it all away, but think of the color scheme, and this type design of ghosted flame effect. (shivers)

I cant wait to get to the point I am cutting and painting on the case!!!

I'll hopefully have some time tomorrow to mask off the top and side piece of the case and get a good sketch on it. I'll post up the pic after that. I'll also get the duct filed out and in place. No bondo yet. I need to go pick some up. (Kept hoping I'd catch my neighbor who does a ton of auto refurb out of his garage. I know he'd have some that I could use... keep missing him though!)

Oh well, more later!
    Keep on moddin!
    :dremel:

10. Tech-Daddy

K, throwing out a few updates. Had a few hours this afternoon to make some headway on it, here is what has been done so far:

[​IMG]

BONDO FUN!!! WOOO HOO!!!!! :thumb:

I have a ton of little machine push thru vents on the side of the case. Gotta get those sealed up and smoothed out for the case cuts. The side window was actually the 2nd coat of bondo. Build it up!

The case back/92mm exhaust fan location was my very first time to ever mix bondo! Guess who layed it on thick and did not use enough hardner? Guess who will be waiting to sand this until tomorrow? :wallbash:

I also layed the first layer of Bondo on the front bezel to attempt and get the duct work blended in with the rounded and shaped front bezel. I'm also going to get rid of the "slat work" on the flat area to the right side under the buttons.

[​IMG]

My top window design. I will be cutting out the shaded portions, which will be in contrast to how I cut the side window. They will be negatives of each other. I do have a concern before I go and start cutting...

[​IMG]

Widest spot on the top window graphic is 15cm, the framework of the computer case has 16cm of metal to work with, and there are 4 supporting rivets to the drive cage below this area, to contend with. Anyone have any experiences to share with removing the top 4 support locations of the drive cage? Is it still stable?

:confused:

11. Tech-Daddy

Ok... made some decisions, and made lots of progress on the mod today.

As you can see, previously I was questioning about the rivets and the structural integrity of the drive cage if I were to remove them. Well. I found a way to cut the hole for the top window, and leave the rivets alone. I'll have to redesign the flames to maximize the hole, but that should not be a big issue.

[​IMG]

Rough cut of the top, I'll have it filed out tomorrow. Main thing was that now, after commiting to a top window hole, I was able to trace out my window on the bottom of the case roof, and compare that against my initial design to see what I needed to redeux! :thumb:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the side accents fall well out of the initial window hole, and some of the flame edges will need to be reworked. I've got a different flame design in mind now for the new window design. The edges of the window will never be seen as the flames will be the portion that is transparent. :D

[​IMG]

Finished bondo'ing in the vent holes on the side of the case, sanded them out this time to a nice, perfectly flat surface. I'll hit this with a base primer to even everything out, in preparation for painting.... sfter I go mad with the jigsaw and the dremel! :dremel: :dremel:

[​IMG]

This is a sketch of the flame treatment on the side that I plan on using. I'm already rethinking a few of them, so this will change, but you get hte idea of where the side is going! ;)

[​IMG]
    My font bezel with fan duct work in place. This was the 2nd layer of bondo on the lower end of the case, and the right side has filled in nicely. Also, the rounded left side has been kept round, and the duct has been cut and mounted to match as closely to the front shapes as is possible. The bondo simply evens everything out and fill in the imperfections. Learning alot about this stuff! To anyone thinking about using bondo, let me give one word of advice: Plan your bondo'ing actions in advance! This stuff, once properly mixed, begins setting up VERY quickly. If you are like me, and tend to be a bit on the detail oriented side, you will loose a load of bondo! :duh: You have to know where you are going to put it, and spend a few seconds mixing it up thoroughly, then throw it down quickly! Otherwise, you end up with a wad of bondo that cannot be applied to anything because it has already set up in your mixing tray! Think, and act quick, and mix only what you need!!! :thumb:

[​IMG]

I bondo'd the holes on the fan gril that I cut out. Sanded to a nice and smooth finish. No edges on the holes. Niiice...

Once I am finished with the top window, and am happy with it's shape, I'll rough it up/clean it up and prime it. I'll hopefully have the frame finished by mid week this week. Most of my noisy work I finished up on today.

12. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

13. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

You know this case looks an awful lot like another project log in here :rolleyes: . where you get the idea? And boy that custom flame painting looks an awful lot the one from a similar thread......are you getting my drift? Will have to watch this one to see how much simularities there are going to be.

JEEVES

14. Tech-Daddy

You know what Jeeves... if you want to make some sort of accusation, be man enough to make it.

Let me state this "for the record"... it was my own design. I got it off of a frikken Hot Wheel in my son's toy box! I cannot help it if there are only a few ways to do Harlequin flames the way I like... and it just happens to look like someone elses case?

Cripes, I see a ton of square windows in here... but "Oh, wait... Jeeves might think that I'm copying someone elses work! I better not...." I was trying to be a little bit original in this tribal flame/celtic knot/ influenced cutting that has been rolling in around here.

I had not been over and looked @ 3N1GM4's rig. I had not viewed the thread. I had not seen it. But from the standpoint of looking like a copycat... I dont want or need that.

So... I'll be changing my design JUST so I can avoid any crapola from the modders of the community....

Rock on Jeeves... :sigh:

15. lv_dicedealer

lv_dicedealer What's a Dremel?

Tech-Daddy -

You are doing this mod for YOU, right? Not for the benefit of our viewing, right? You like the flames, then put flames in your mod. If these two guys want to harass you about the path your mod is taking, then by all means IGNORE them and mod to what you like. If you want pink flames and green LEDS all over your box, fine, its your mod; do with it what you want.

In zap-wizards ATI/Athlon64 thread piloux complimented him on the design and then stated it was giving him ideas. Did zap get pissy and insinuate that he was copying his original ideas, heck no! We all benefit from sharing our ideas and opinions with one another, and noone understands that more than Zap and piloux!

3N1GM4 and JEEVES - get a clue, do you think your are the first to flame-job a hotrod? Can you say 1950s T-Bucket roadster? At any rate, you guys need to step back and approach this differently. You should look forward to seeing how Tech-daddys vision of the same case emerges, or be impressed with his modding skills even if they may or may not be based off of someone elses ideas.

/steps down off soap-box, only because 3N1GM4 and JEEVES really ticked me off!

[edit: removed some language]

16. Tech-Daddy

Thanks Dice -

First off, I want to apologize for my crappy tone earlier. Was headed to bed and I fired off that post without reading it fully.

Jeeves, you are entitled to your opinion. Perfectly fine. But don't make an accusation like that. It would have better served you to say something along the line of "looks like alot of the other flame jobs I've seen on this board." I stand by my statement that my mod and 3N1GM4's are seperately inspired pieces of work. I have not copied from anyone on this board. I've actually surfed a ton of other boards and not seen the "type" of elongated flamework that I am attempting. So, sorry, but this is all on it's own.

3N1GM4, your work is great! Keep it up. I did not think that you were implying anything in your post, so no worries. I think you were simply stating that "my mod and your mod are very similar, and that kinda makes for some fun in the mods!", and "Let's see what the other is going to do..." kind of curiosity. Keep on cutting the good cut! ;) :dremel:

As for this thread, I decided last night just before passing out that I would stand by my design, even "if" it did bear resemblance to anothers kit. It is new to me, and inspired by my hand. That is enough for me. Apologies if it steps on toes for looking like another mod. Not my intent.

So, I'll continue my path on it to completion. I think 3N1GM4 and I are joined @ the hip for the remainder of mine and his mod's! :D :D :D

Laters all....

17. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

I was mearly stating the obvious. And It is very funny how you both even used a bike gas tank to show the type of ghost flames you want. I did not mean any harm by my post, was just stating the simularities between the two. I understand there are alot of flame cases out there, it was mainly the gas tanks that made me laugh. I was not expecting anyone to become pissed off, and I have no problem if you take ideas from other cases(i have in the past). lv_dicedealer what you said about zap not getting pissed when someone said they were going to use some of his ideas. you obviously have never read any of my project logs (tons have people have said the same thing) and I do not get pissed, but there is a simple edicate that goes with it. Just give credit where credit is deserved, if you do take ideas from other cases then just mention that is where you got the idea from. This case is looking good and i do plan to watch it (even if it is to see how similar the two cases turn out) I never said that you were stealing his ideas, and If i was going to i would have just said it (i am man enough). I say good luck to you and I am realy looking forward to how your flames turn out.

JEEVES

ps you guys need to calm down some, mabey try and read a post 2 or 3 times before you angrily reply. there is no need to be defensive, even if something did piss you off just gloss over it and move on. Dont let other people dictate how you feel or even live your life.

18. Tech-Daddy

Agreed, and I did apologize for the anger in my post. I hope you accept my apology.

If I edit it out, the thread just looks dumb! ;)

I read the thread and about came out of my chair when I saw he used a cycle gas tank to show his influence!
    :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

"Aw man, the sh*t is going to hit the fan on this..."

Hehehe... mod on bro!

C'mere.... "GROUP HUG!!! GROUP HUG!!!"
    :p

19. lv_dicedealer

lv_dicedealer What's a Dremel?

*Hugs all around*

:clap:

20. mopery

mopery What's a Dremel?

I agree 100% with this. 3N1GM4 and JEEVES grow up.