1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this OC a little too high???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhs666, 27 Apr 2004.

1. rhs666

rhs666 Banned

Hi, I like to say sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I OC'ed my Radeon 9800Pro 128mb to 430/393.... is the mem clocked way too high?? cause I can't find anyone else who clocked it that high on air cooling. Also that chip was only intented to go to 350Mhz instead of 393...... The RAM is cooled with a custom BGA RAM sink and the Core is cooled with VGA silencer...

When I use it to benchmark on Aquamark I can't see any artifacts, but Artifcat Tester 5 says that it's full of artifacts when it runs. I dunno how effective Artifact Tester 5 is since it uses DX7.....

Another question is that would me using a AGP 4x affect my oc??... I lent my Main gaming rig to my sister for a while, so I'm using a backup comp to test my RAdeon9800... would using AGP4 allow my mem to clock higher????

Thanks for all the help....BTW... on main Rig Aquamark reach 44,000 (not on backup comp)

AMD Athlon 2500 (unlocked) @ 11.5x210=2415Mhz v1.85 1:1 ratio
    Kingston HyperX PC3700 DDR466 2.8v
    AeroFlow 1
    Radeon 9800PR0 128Mb 1.6v (425/375.5)
    1 80Gig WD
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

2. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

you tried 3dmark 01/03? :eyebrow:

3. rhs666

rhs666 Banned

nope... I got 56k so I can't dl a 180mg file.... and is it free???

Can anyone with a R350 or R360 Core video card post their OC here??

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I think you're looking for me :D

I ran my latest 3DMark2k1 (in sig) at 455/400, the core is cooled by a VGA Silencer and the memory is done with halves of Coolermaster ramsinks, i.e. not fully covered - I still have to get round to finishing off proper sinks for the BGA. When I did the flash from 9800 Pro to 9800XT I gained 20MHz in the maximum memory clock I could run without artifacts, though I think that was a one-off because I've never heard of anyone else getting these results. Still, it's quite impressive for not-wonderful aircooling. When I used ATiTool to find my maximum overclock it tried to reduce my memory MHz quite a bit (it's a very good tool though, try it out) but I can't see any artifacting anywhere so I keep it where it is - don't always trust these programs, though they're a useful guide.

The bad news, however, is that I've been noticing some "issues" appearing - occasionally on bootup (which then goes away upon Windows startup) or on starting Windows I get artifacts all over the screen, which is usually rectified by a reboot, but I think that this is purely due to the shoddy cooling on my BGA rather than degradation of the card due to it being pushed too far. Basically I don't know if I've harmed it, but my philosophy is that if I have it's too late to do anything about it now, so I may as well continue. :D

I don't know about how AGP 4x would affect your overclock - all I know it will do is reduce the bandwidth between your GFX and mobo.

So basically, all I have to say is nice clocks, keep it up :thumb:

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I like your thinking, Just like me! :D

6. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

rhs.what kind of temps are you running on the core?

7. Kameleon

Problem with the 9800 Pros is that they don't have a temp diode - otherwise Id've voltmodded and played with my vGPU long ago. I'd like to rig up an external thermistor under the heatsink but I'm just worried that it would either not stick or compromise core contact...

8. Piratetaco

i've wired mine up to the underside of the card.the temp diode sits on the back of the card clampt under the clip for the VGA cooler.

EDIT.has anyone tried to upgrade the fan on the VGA cooler. i was thinking of putting an old CPU fan motor into the housing(with the fan of course) then powering that off the spare system fan connector on my mobo.

9. Kameleon

Ah cunnink, but how close is that temperature going to be to the GPU on the other side of the board? I was thinking of slipping the probe through the small gap between the top of the sink and the shim (there is a gap where it's not tall enough) and attaching it somehow to the side of the core, but that's what was giving me cooling worries.

Well it's a blower-type fan rather than a standard rotary job that directs air perpendicularly to its motor, so you'd have to use an Aero/Jet fan if you went that route, and it might not fit ;)

10. Piratetaco

no i was thinking of using the old fan just swaping the motor that powers it.

11. Kameleon

Ah right, then you may as well try it, they only cost a tenner :D I can't honestly see the fan surviving that operation and still working, but you never know...;)

12. rhs666

rhs666 Banned

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just lower it back down and OC it over again (AGP8x) when I get my main rig back.....seeing someone with a higher oc then me made it all better, now I just have to rasie AGP v and oc Core... heheheheh

anyways, so as long as I don't see artifacts I'm good to OC even further right?
    :rock:

13. Alano

Alano What's a Dremel?

yeah go for it but be warned as with all overclocking the risk of damage increases.I had an h2o cooled 9800 pro 495/385, the memory was crappy.
    ran like this great 24/7 for 4 months then one day, fried GPU.Oops.
    still the money saved by o/c instead of buying a more expensive gfx card is worth the risk and the odd fired GPU. :eyebrow: