1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO anyone who's done GCSE geography

Discussion in 'General' started by xen0morph, 29 Apr 2004.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Ok, my coursework is due in tommorow, and I ain't started it. I have raw data, and that's it. So it looks like I'll have to turn to everyone here for help :D Writing my introduction now, I have the following (in need of better grammar and terminology), but is it basically correct?

RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS:

The following will increase from the upper to the lower course.

1. Water velocity (map calculations show that the lower course has a steeper gradient than the upper course and therefore should have higher velocity, also if the water depth is higher then this will give the water at the center less resistance, and therefore a higher velocity, because it will be furthest away from the walls and bed).
    2. River discharge (area of the drainage basin increases the further downstream you go, therefore the river should have a higher discharge).
    3. River width (taken from map measurements).
    4. Depth (if the volume of water is higher, the water depth will also be higher in order to accommodate the increased volume of water).
    5. Bedload (increased velocity and volume of water causes increased abrasion).

Would very much appreciate any corrections or suggestions - quickly :hehe:

Thanks everyone.

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Sounds about right, always thought the velocity decreased down the course though, as the river tends to be more winding. Deeper water also tends to mean lower velocity IIRC... did GCSE ages ago though lol!
    The exam was a piece of pi**, got C for CW and came out with an A overall, so all is not lost....

3. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

Esh man, ur leaving it a bit late, i did myne a year ago (gcse's in 4 weeks) and it took me a few months. Graphs. Lots of them. You only realy need 2000-3000 words of conclusion/anaylsysis/method to get a good grade. Get in 10 or so pages of graphs all anotaed and location maps. Cant help too much cos my case study was on the urban rural frindge and we spent the day shopping at an out of town centre (um, i mean collecting reaserch).

Best i can do i'm afraid.

4. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

This is actually my first time taking it (it's a resit course, I'm 17). I just have no idea what to do, or what anything means. I don't really care about failing this though (need to pass Maths, History and Law), so I might just hand in a load of bull****. As long as I don't get my exam entry revoked, I really don't care.

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Okay, you're pretty much there, as rivers run downhill the gradient decreases, speed decreases, they drop more sediment as they're moving slower, so they get shallower, instead they spread out (erosion working on the banks as opposed to uphill where the water moves quickly and cuts downwards into the river bed forming steep banks). Downstream the river continues to take the shortest path, it deposits on the inner banks of bends and erodes the outer banks producing the long bends you'll have observed. On flood plains the deposits over time can actually mean that the river runs above ground level and has built banks which stop it emptying onto the flood plain except in times of increased capacity (flooding during storms or winter when the snow melts up stream) where it bursts its banks. Sediment will decrease in size (the water does not have the power to move the bigger stuff and any big stuff there was probably brought by flood waters) and increase in smoothness (the futher downstream sediment is, the longer it has travelled to get there and the more it has come into contact with other sediment and the river bed and banks, gradually eroding and polishing it) as you move downstream.

Good luck with it, there quite a bit of stuff if you look up basic physical geography on the net GOOGLE is your friend. Good luck :hip:

6. Sanchos

Sanchos What's a Dremel?

I did bad on my geog coursework i got a C which is annoying especially considereing how long it took me. My geog c/w was due in september we had 5 months to do it......im glad im not u having to do it in 1 night.