1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Stealthing question...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Slayer, 20 Mar 2002.

1. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Okay, I want to use the display that Macroman used in Macro black. I've never worked with one before and I don't have space, so I was wondering.....is it possible to put a burner behind the display so when you open up the burner, the display comes out also? So basiclly you're stealthing the burner with the display. Is this possible? If so, how?

2. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

By the way, I want to use the VK204-25 VFD from Matrix Orbital, not those PC bay inserts.

3. Maedhroz

Maedhroz What's a Dremel?

that is a really great idea and im sure that if you could pull it off it would look great. you have to keep in mind a couple things. first, you must fashion something to protect the pcb of the vfd. you would have to press the vfd against the cdrom in order to open it. second, the weight of the vfd may be too much for your cd rom tray to handle. third, you must consider the wiring for the vfd and allow plenty of slack for the tray to be extended and also organize the wire so it doesn't look stupid. however, if you get it arranged we would love to see some pics.

4. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Mar 2002
  5. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Well, I asked you guys over here because I don't know anything about modding. So this will be my first one. I would need a bunch of tips before actually trying it. And how would I get my cd-rom tray to handle it? It is actually a burner.

6. Maedhroz

well, i would would start with something of similar weight. you could tape it to the tray and see if it still ejects properly. If it doesn't then it won't work. there would probably not be any way to make the tray stronger to handle the weight. Once you determined that the tray could hold it, you could decide how to construct the rest.

7. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

hrmm, this thread gives me an idea for my dvd drive on my custom case....don't worry you'll all get pictures (eventually :) )

8. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Cool. How long is eventually? :eyebrow: Well, how much does the display weigh? I don't think it says on the site...can anyone get macroman over here so we can ask him?

And how would the tray support the display better? If the tray was attached to the top of the display, or the bottom? Understand?:confused:

9. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

well, i'm not sure when eventually is, and since i may not use this idea i'll toss out what i had in mind for anyone else to use:
    i ordered one of those huge BGmicro VFDs, and i was thinking of making it flip-down to reveal the slot-loading DVD drive...much like many in-dash car CD players

10. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

That's pretty sweet...that's a damn good idea. Maybe it'll work. Well, I'll accpet any ideas. I'm gonna build a PC soon and the case only has 4 bays. 2 will be occupied and I want that display, but I also want the burner. Any suggestions?

11. courtfool

courtfool What's a Dremel?

I am workin gon a similar idea as far as the car flipping crap..:)
    I have a 5" lcd I am going to mount inside th ecomputer like a car dvd played using an old cdrom drive
    press a button and the screen pops out.

who knows if I can get it to work, still working out all the details

12. Maedhroz

you would have to mount the display where it fit. it would be to big for you to have much room to control where it was in relation to the cd rom. however, the cd rom tray is alway at the top of the drive, so as far as support goes, thats the best place to attach it. just ask macroman or someone else who has one to weigh it for you.

13. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I've been thinking of this for a while , the weight is the major issue I can see , I would use a 20x2 vfd/lcd to try to minimize the weight :)

The other issue is the cabling it my foul the drive if your not careful :(

14. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Well, I'm new here, so can anyone ask Macroman to weigh the display for me or something? Or maybe help out with this idea?

15. MadMac

MadMac What's a Dremel?

Hi Slayer,

I've got a 2*16 LCD here, weights approx. 50gr (including a wirtz backpack which has hardly any weight itself).
    Hope this helps you.

Bye,
    Mac

16. macroman

macroman The One

Unfortunately mine is in use and I can't really weigh it without stripping MB down. I have asked Henry at Matrix Orbital.

17. Henry

Henry Matrix Orbital

the display weighs 102 grams...

18. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Um, how much is 102 grams? Is that a lot? Like a pound of something?

19. macroman

macroman The One

102grams =3.6oz

20. Slayer

Slayer What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 22 Mar 2002