1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homestarrunner.com updated 12-31-04 SOON TO BE UP AND RUNNING!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bust_A_Cap, 12 Feb 2004.

1. Bust_A_Cap

Bust_A_Cap What's a Dremel?

Allright thanks RotoSequence. I think i am going to have red cathodes in the case and then have them glow through the bottom. Kind of like ground effects for a car. But i want it to shine on the table/surface i have the case on, really well....so i was thinking i would put a piece of plexi tilted downward on the bottom of the case so that the light would reflect off of it. Do you think this would work? If not then do you any other ideas that would give me some lighting effects on the bottom?

Also another quick question i had was, what should i use for feet? i want to have them about an inch or maybe even two inches off the surface that the case is on. I don't want wheels or anyhting like that, and i don't really want to have the feet glow, i think if i get the ground effects to work then that should be sufficent lighting. So any ideas aobut feet would be great...THANK YOU!!!

Here's something i threw to gether real quick to show what i want to do with the ground lighting and feet.

[​IMG]

I just thought of another idea for the ground lighting. What if i was to cover both the folded down metal pieces <on the bottom of the case> with a reflective surface and then cover the bottom fof the case with a reflective surface as well. This way the light would ceom from the case bounce off of the folded down metal, to the bottom of the case and then bounce back to the ground....good idea or bad idea?

Last edited: 13 Jul 2004
  2. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

i would use plexi instead of metal and then just paint one side of the plexi and then the other side should be almost mirror like and should give you a good amount of light

3. Bust_A_Cap

all right thanks, my parts so that i can finish up the face plate will be here this week...hopefully!!!!

So stay tuned for updates

4. Fubar

Fubar What's a Dremel?

hows it coming busta cap

5. Bust_A_Cap

Well sorry i haven't been posting lately. I have been working ojn the project but i have not been able to post pictures because the person that i was having hosting my images, Hamlesh, stopped hosting or something. I am going to send him an email asking him whats going on. Hopefully he can re host my pictures or something, because i don't have anywhere else that can host them, and i don't have the money to pay to host them.
    If you have any ideas on who would be willingly to host some pictures for me.

6. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

TROGDOR!!!!

I luv that game

and uh emm... red x's... :duh:

7. Bust_A_Cap

Yeah there are x's because the site that was hosting my pictures stopped hosting pictures.....read my last post

8. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

opps missed that one :wallbash:

9. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

10. Bust_A_Cap

ok thanks for that link Vazzini42. I will probably use that. I will not be able to update my pictures for a month or so because i am on vacation and i do not have access to my computer that has all the pictures on it. Sorry about that.

Quick question about photobucket. Is there a limit on how much bandwidth one can use?

11. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

2 giga bytes as far as i know

12. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

They've got a 2.5GB limit which should be more than enough unless your project turns into a thread like Piloux's, with nearly 1 million views! ;)

13. Bust_A_Cap

WOOHOO allright i'm back from vacation so not only can i start modding again but i can also start to put the pictures back up. I am not going to have as many pictures as i had before but i will have all the ones that dscribe this project...all the modded stuff...and crucial steps in the modding process.

Thanks for being patient, I almost have the faceplate done so there should be some new pictures about that pretty soon. It is taking me so long to finish the faceplate because i using bondo and this is a first for me.

14. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

Updates?

15. Bust_A_Cap

uhhhh.....DOH

....well i guess i should have posted this earlier but basicaly everything in my computer has blown up.....except the floppy drive....which i never use.

I got really pissed when my power supply blew up after i had just got done sleeving the whole thing.

And that circuit that i was trying to build, well i couldn't ever get it too work....so that kind of sucks too....but at least i got a bunch of red and yellow LED's now.

Well i guess i should post all of the pictures that i have of it up to the point that i stopped working on it....actually the case it self is all done...i just need some hardware for. I haven't gotten some final pictures developed yet but i will get those developed this weekend so i will post them then.

First priming coat on the faceplate:
    [​IMG]

First coat of paint on the faceplate:
    [​IMG]

Here is the front window tinted:
    [​IMG]

I intended to put dual red cathodes on the interior of the case. I got some cable sleeving and sleeved the cathode wires:
    [​IMG]

The wire sleeving kit, just black....not UV or anything:
    [​IMG]

Here is the power supply with everything sleeved except for the main motherboard cable:
    [​IMG]

Here is a closeup of the molex connector, for these i simply colored them black with a permanent marker:
    [​IMG]

Aight that is all i have for now....thanks for being interested.

16. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

So thats it then? you arn't going to fix it up or change or continue this mod?
    Or are you gonna reignite the fireinside?

17. Bust_A_Cap

The actual modding part of the project is pretty much done. I am ordering a new motherboard/CPU from tigerdirect.com this weekend and i am debating on whether i should put it in this computer of if i should put it into my van....have a car computer.

18. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

nice case and all but i one thing i do not agree with is the painting of the molex's with the marker, only because the markers are a very very very dark purple and not black but other than that i love the case and STRONG BAD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

hah nice mod ! :hehe:

20. Bust_A_Cap

Some pictures of the mod up till now:

Aight well i prmoised you guys some mor pictures of the case up to what i have now so here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <the dead power supply is in tehre right now for looks, but i put it in right after i had taked this picture so it's not pictured...basicaly it is just black where the power supply should be>

[​IMG]
    <the DVD drive is in there as well even though it is fried. For looks as well.

[​IMG]
    <you can see the cathodes moutned in there>

Allright well now that i am done posting these pictures I have a few quesitons. As i mentioned before i was looking into buying a new motherboard and processor...and ram. I was looking into getting some dual channel ram but i don't know if it would be worth the money or not. Also when i am looking at motherboards will i have to check to see if it is compatible with dual channel ram or is dual channel ram something like DDR PC3200 or will it say , Dual Channel Memory Supported.

Also i was wondering what kind of processor i should get. I will be using this computer for a decent amount of gaming so i was thinking about going AMD64 but i don't know if this is worth the money or not?

Well those are all the questions that I have for now.

THANK YOU