1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wip3out, 17 Aug 2002.

1. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

I was monitoring my new seagate hard drive using S.M.A.R.T. It's a Seagate Barracuda IV 80Gb 7200rpm 2mb cache model. The temp readings are on average 35.C but the highest recorded temp is displayed as a huge 50.C.

These temps seem very worrying to me, should I be worried?? The hard drive is in a caddie so I think that might be a major reason for the high temps but i move this drive around a lot and do really need it in there.

I know a lot of people bought this drive at the same time as me and if one of you could tell me what temps your getting I'd appreciate it.

Also I have seen the Ice dock caddies for sale at Scan but i don't want to pay the P&P anyone know another online sore i can get one from??

[​IMG]
    Icy Dock Mobile Rack

Thanks

Last edited: 17 Aug 2002
  2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

do u get corrupt data?? mysterious reboots?? if no, why fix something that aint broke....

3. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

ack---- i was just about to order two of those HDS.... lol.. please someone help him...

i think you can get similar caddies at aria.co.uk but they have a LCD reporter on the front... they may do them without tho :)

4. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Exactly my thoghts! Unless you are having real problems, it is like CPU cooling - Don't worry about it too much unless you have to. Just keep monitoring via SMART and take action only when desperate IMO.

5. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Too be honest there is hardly anything on the drive so far cos it's quite new, I just thought 35.C seemed high due to the fact that the CPU in the computer is running at 29.C.

The main reason for my concern is that the drive is in my server and it's running pretty much 24/7 and will be doing for at least the next year and so want to be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks

6. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

you could always rig up a diy cooling thingy to cool the hdd's :)

7. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

was concidering buying another caddy filling it with fans and placing it over the top of the first caddy. This would then draw the hot air out through the top drive bay. Think I might do it when i find some time :)

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

where did you get the monitoring program from??

9. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Stick an 80 MM case fan on top of each drive and watch the temps drop.

10. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

The monitoring program I'm using is speedfan available here. I think it's quite reliable.

I've taken off the top panel of my caddy for now and I'll rig up something in the near future to extract the heat. :eyebrow:

11. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

cheers wip3out

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

With over-hot hard drives, it's the MTBF figure that will come down with a wallop, so it could run trouble-free for 6 months then die.

I'd blame the caddy, some just aren't designed for fast drives.

13. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

Thanks cpemma, If I can't figure a way to keep mobility as way as a cool drive I'm going to have to pay the P&P and get an Icy dock from Scan don't want to lose 80Gb of data 6 months down the line for the sake of 30 quid. :blah:

14. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

7200rpm isnt really considered a fast hot drive....not if it wuz a scsi 15000rpm drive then u can talk heat...

15. Drastik

Drastik Minimodder

Those temp are normal, HDDs run at a much hotter temp than anything else in you comp. No worrys mate.

16. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Speak for yourself, my 7200rpm IBM is sitting pretty at 38°C right now.
    My O/ced GF3 is at 46°C, O/ced AthlonXP is 50°C on air (Asus board)
    My case temp is at 31°C (aided by a 92mm Papst). Ambient is currently about 27.9°C

Admittedly, 35°C isn't too bad but I'll go along with cpemma in saying your MTBF will definitely decrease if you're consistently over 50°C (although I'm thinking more like 65°C before the lifespan is reduced by quite that much).

Don't you have a 40mm fan in the caddy, at least?
    Did you possibly defrag at some point before you noticed the peak in the log?

[Edit] Thought those temps looked higher than usual - I had all my case fans turned off! :blush: Case is now 29°C, HDD 36°C

Last edited: 18 Aug 2002
  17. wip3out

wip3out What's a Dremel?

There is a 40mm fan in the caddy but ut's do jack all TBH.

18. Creekin

Creekin What's a Dremel?

ive got 2 identical seagate 80gb 7200s in 2 diff pcs...one in a zalman HD cooler with a 92mm zalman fan..the other just in a standard hd rack but with 2x80mm fans on it.

the zalman aided drive runs at 26c while the other runs at 31c IDLE
    both hit 50c under load...

so your temps sound normal to me

p.s. this is with no case side of course....REAL pcs dont need em!! :D

19. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

WOW! a 2 year old thread revivial :baby: :hehe: :rock: :rolleyes: :jawdrop:

For the record most hdd's are fine up to ~ 60 anways, think me WD in a Silentdrive caddy sits at ~45-50 most of the time..... Not had a problem yet!

20. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I recently killed a 120 gig WD 8 meg because it overheated. I only had it for a year. I got 2 new ones yesterday to put in a raid mirror. The advice in this thread has been useful :thumb: