1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Help with Sharing an internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sco0by, 18 Mar 2002.

1. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Okay: I have 2 pc`s, both running WinXP Pro. The main one has 2 network cards in it, one connecting to Blueyonder Broadband internet, the other to a network card in the second pc. They are connected by a 10m patch cable, and after running network setup wizard they can both share files and folders between each other - sofar so good.

The problem is that the 2nd pc (the one not directly connected to the broadband) cannot connect to the internet. I have tried running the network setup wizard and the internet connection wizard on both machines, but to no avail :confused:

Has anyone else with telewest blueyonder boradband internet successfully shared it? If so pleeeeese tell me how you got the thing to work!

2. Bathrug

Bathrug What's a Dremel?

Ok here goes ...

On the machine with netaccess make sure that ICS is activated on the NIC that isnt connected to Blue yonder. This will then give it the ability to dynamically assign IP addresses to any other machine on your network.

If this doesnt happen.

Make sure the second NIC's IP addy is 192.168.0.1

your other machines NIC IP Addy is 192.168.0.2
    with the gateway set to 192.168.0.1

WOOO WOOOO should work

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

make sure on the nic that has the netconnection going in you ENABLE internet connection sharing....should help if u havent done it yet.....:D :cool:

4. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Thanks guys - still nothing tho :( according to my ISP`s technical support, It wont work - and I need a router, which might not be a bad idea as there might be 4 pc`s running off the connection :eek:

5. felix the cat

how much do u pay for blueyonder and how fast is it??

if it works with a router it should work with ur pc....probably just a way of getting more money out of you....:eyebrow:

6. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

It costs me £25 per month for a 512k connection. I`ve had it since october and I love it :D (In a platonic way of course :p ) I dont think its a ploy by them to get more money tho as they don`t supply the router.
    It doesn`t help that their support line for the home service doesn`t cover networking - only the one computer :(

7. Bathrug

Bathrug What's a Dremel?

Thats about right for a cable modem type connection,
    Are both the machines on the same subnet??

8. felix the cat

the website said that they support home networks...so no need for a router, just need to set ur gateway pc up properly....seeing as everyone is asking about it, i might do a tutorial on it in the holidays...

Tags: