1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Super Nintendo

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ducarii, 8 May 2004.

1. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

I know this is a computer forum..but I got a question that I think a lot of you might be able to answer for me.

I recently acquired a Super Nintendo, and you remember that old plastic, how it used to be white, till it was exposed to sun, then it turned a piss yellow? Well dose anyone know if its possible to restore that old color?

I've tried a few cleaners, nothing worked, so I'm inclined to think that its a chemical change thats irreversible, anyone know so?

2. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

i'm not sure, though you could always repaint it with vinyl dye.

3. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Was it originally white, or an off white, I can't remember, its been soo long. I called Nintendo's repair line, they said they didn't know if it was able to be restored.

They told me the yellow discoloration was due to the fact of a chemical that was flame retardant and the heat inside the unit as well as sun exposure caused the discoloration.

Bleach only works on fabrics doesn't it?

4. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

bleach works on skin too :blush:

5. nosmo

nosmo What's a Dremel?

I hear T-cut or any other car colour restorer works well.

6. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

It was originally grey (in the UK at least)

7. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

As in car paint restorer? or like dash board cleaner type stuff? Also you live in the UK I see..I'll half to think of an equivalent.

8. Redimp

Redimp What's a Dremel?

I think the US had a different design to us, but to be honest I think a respray going to be easiest, or just buy another one thats in good condition since they're pretty cheap. And probably cheaper than buying cleaners and paints.

9. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I actually got this one for free, it was on its way to the dump when I found it in a file cabnit..thus I jacked it, and now it is mine, along with like 10 games a ps1, and about 30 games, the ps1 has no cords though. Also I need to get Contra 3, the best game ever for Super Nintendo. :naughty:

10. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

score! :thumb:

now why are you worrying about the colour of the case? all you need is a little bit of :dremel: and put it inside your pc case :naughty:

11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Its gray in US and Euro, I believe. Just loof for a picture! I doubt its reversible.

What I want to know is why it was sitting out in the sun? :eyebrow:

You video game killer!

12. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

lol, it was probably in someones family room that got sun through a window, I also doubt its reversible, probably a chemical change that occurred. I want it restored because its a collectors item and its a badass console to have, especially if I can get Contra 3 and super Mario bros. :D

13. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

the original color is light grey with purple buttons

yep i still have mine, pretty much perfect condition, and still working with like 9 games

how much can i get for this :naughty:

14. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Well probably not much now, but in a few years how many people can say they have a super Nintendo. :cooldude:

15. sirgeoph

sirgeoph What's a Dremel?

the snes's that turn yellow were later models... see, nintendo used good plastic from the start. that plastic stayed grey. but later on the switched to a cheaper plastic. this plastic turned yellow (even without heat or sun... just keep it for a few years and it happens). the reason why some systems only have a yellow top is because it's from a transitional period where nintendo still had some old plastic left and they just combined them.

and btw, at my store we sell snes's for 59.95... those and atari 2600's and nes's are our top sellers... they sell faster than gamecubes, xboxes, or ps2s....but yopu wont get a lot for them when trading in... maybe like 30 or 35 bucks

16. theagent

hearing my science teacher's words echo in my ears, i find it important to stress the point that all chemical changes are reversible but often difficult. for instance, the combustion reaction

CH4[g]+2O2[g] --yields--> CO2[g]+2H2O[L] and stores 890.8 kj/mol -- according to our textbook.

All the original products are there, broken up and combined with different elements, so, technically, it can be restored. clearly you're speaking in practicality and cost, and what exactly you would have to do, i am not certain. the yellow color could be the bonding of another chemical into the plastic, like nitrogen in diamond [the yellow color of diamonds is from nitrogen hiding between the carbon atoms; these nitrogen atoms aren't always visible; however, because they, over time, can "find a hiding place" where the refracting light doesnt show them]. perhaps nitrogen found its way into your plastic case, or perhaps you lost some electrons that kept it looking grey. if you have the time, try a little hydrogen peroxide on a small area of plastic, and see if you notice any changes. i'm not sure what it will do, after all, what do i know? i'm only a high school junior, but i do find myself writing a note to ask a certain science teacher about this anyways.

there, my concious is cleared *goes to sleep.*

17. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

hehe, that's a nice post above this one. :hehe:

Just go for the repaint. :thumb:

~Xeno~

18. Tt Ownage

Tt Ownage What's a Dremel?

i have one neener neener neener

19. theagent

haha

she blinded me with science!

20. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Ha wow, you know way more than me at jr level, and I'm a senior, of course I didn't take all those 'smart people' classes lol, I went for the: 'graduate-and-go-to-an-art-college-that-doesn't-look-at-grades' approach because I'm a slacker like that. :thumb:

But I'll try that hydrogen peroxide in a little bit, thx for the tip. :D