1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project C3PO - My Linux jukebox

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by papeniglio, 8 Apr 2004.

1. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

looks nice... I will encorperate ideas.... Hats off to ya.

2. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Allright almost everything is ready now, i can ping from my windows xp rig to my linux box. But what software to use to send file(s) to my mp3 box and download file(s) from them? And does the program use any other programs or file(s) which i have to install first?

Getting to the last item of my list: Network stuff :D

Thanks in advance for any replies ;)!

3. El_Angelo

El_Angelo What's a Dremel?

two possibilities :
    samba or ftp...
    samba is like sharing maps in windows
    personally I prefer ftp... easy to install and configure (especially the last thing seems to be a pain in the ass with samba...)

4. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

:D Allright but what linux client software to use? ;)

5. Shwang

Shwang What's a Dremel?

Nice project PapeNiglio. Truely Inspiring. My dream for the next while is to build a MP3 Jukebox like yours, but I do not wish to use Linux,so I will use my striped down version of 98. My questions are, how does IRMP3 manage your MP3 collection.

I mean, because MP3 collections can get into the thousands of songs, how do you go about selecting the song you want. I'm guessing that you have playlists set up through IRMP3, but if you have tens or even hundreds of playlists, how would you select the one you want?

Can you go in through the interface and reorganise the MP3's?

Hopefully that was clear enough, and hope your future projects go as well as this one.

6. El_Angelo

one possibilty is just mount a shared folder of your windowsbox on the linuxbox (less convenient but the advantage is you don't need samba... you only need the smb-filesystem compiled into your kernel or as a module)
    second you could install the smb-server on your linux and access a folder (music - folder) from on to your windows machine...
    or you could your linux machine run a ftp server... (if you are running slack I think the default is vsftpd or proftpd...)
    (I would suggest to use the ftp server thing as samba will need quite a lot of configuration)

7. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Thanks EL Angelo

But which server software to use for my linux machine? :D

8. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Why not use linux? Is really cewl! Me still noob but with help of papeniglio i managed to set it up, and there are pretty some guides on the net to follow and install your own linux mp3 jukebox. And i think a jukebox must start really fast (mine starts in 16seconds!) and i used to use win98 also stripped down but it started too slow!

9. Shwang

Shwang What's a Dremel?

The makers of 98Lite are able to compress 98 or 98SE down to ~9-25mb to run in embeded environments or off flash or thumbdrives, allowing it to start to desktop in ~3-5 seconds. Thats fast, although the advantage of linux would be once you had it configured you wouldn't need to shut down, just leave it on all the time and have it ready to go. In my opinion 18 seconds is unacceptable for that situation, which is why I would only power down whatever OS I chose for regular maintainence.

Anyway back to what I was asking is because when a music collection gets so big, how does IRMP3 control it so that you can accurately select what you want from the couch with only a 20 x 4 LCD to prompt you?

10. El_Angelo

or you use the program vsftpd or the program proftpd
    both are quite easy to install so that should be no problem at all

(are you using the core linux thing?) is it fast? does it has a package manager?

11. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

For EL_Angelo: Thanks m8 shall try to google it today ;)! Yes running the Core package and i'm quit happy with the results :D it starts within 16/15 seconds (everything loaded and ready to use) but that's on a old 200Mhz. Without LCDd and Lirc and Irexec and IRmp3 it starts within 10/11 sec :D so im pretty happy with it but i am very curios to what shwang said 3-5 sec with windows 98? :confused:

For Shwang: Irmp3 is able to build multiple playlists and save them, but i just do not now how to do that (load/save). Irmp3 has a kind of browser which you can run through your mp3 collection with folders. You can define which ext. you want to allow in your list: *.ogg, *.mp3 etc (BUT YOU MUST HAVE BUILD IN SUPPORT TO PLAY THOSE FILES!).
    I can't understand!3-5 sec with win98! on what kind of machine are we talking about (list of system specs please!)? And what is the exact name of the win98 version you're talking about?!

I think i still keep linux because like u said: It's sooow stable!:thumb:and i'm pretty statisfied with it and it's fun to play with linux! :clap:

Keep modding! :dremel:

12. El_Angelo

seems slow to me... I do better with my slack install on a 166Mhz...
    anyhow...
    how is the ftp thing doing?

13. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Yes but does your slack also load lirc lcdd and lirc irexec irmp3 and does yours have an networkcard + soundcard installed and running + change mixer settings for master and pcm?Oh and there is an 200 Mhz processor on it but the MB supports only 166 srry so it runs @ 166 mhz. But how fast does your slack installation start (without starting anything)?
    Maybe i did something wrong? :confused:
    I installed my ftp but i get the following error with the following command given (installed vsftp): vsftpd & [1] 2104.
    500 oops: could not bind listening IPv4 socket
    -bash: [1]: command not found
    [2]+ Exit 1 vsftpd

Help please!:wallbash:
    Do i have to install other stuff other than vsftp?

14. El_Angelo

eum yes... it loads everything I think in about 10 seconds... but as sited on my website I build everything into the kernel (so no modules = faster but bigger kernel) and I refused to work with alsa (basically cause I think it sucks... and for a soundblaster card the quality of the sound isn't that different either) actually I should say loaded everything cause for the moment it isn't working anymore... i'm building a genbox and this one will actually take over the function of mp3player.

15. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

DJ,
    I suggest you to install bftpd. It's very simple and worked for me. Obviously, you have to create a new user and a new directory for your ftp daemon (I made a /home/mp3 directory with permissions for the user ftp and I use it to move files if I don't have them on CD/DVD).

16. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

You can specify a playlist when you run IRMP3 daemon, otherwise the playlist files are browsed the same way you browse your MP3 collection, so you can choose which playlist to hear...

17. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Hmm allright i'll try that software 2 thanks for the replies! :rock:!
    I'll re-install my mp3jukebox again (i know i'm :geek: but i like clean computers ;)) But 10 seconds thats cewl for an 166 Mhz it's a bit faster then mine but i'll try to build everything into the kernel just to check if it starts faster, the faster the better! I think alsa is ok i'm happy with it :D.
    Now the last mission for the software: Get ftp stuff installed and telnet ;)!

18. THDBASED

THDBASED What's a Dremel?

Hey...First I must say, that you have done some nice work!

But I have a few questions involving your project:

1) How did you connect the original power button to work with the mobo? Can you show me some pictures or/and a circuit perhaps?

2) I am building a similar project myself but I intend to use a wireless USB card to stream songs from my server (downstairs) to my room (upstairs). Is it possible to configure this using core linux (drivers, etc...)?

Thanks in advance!

19. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

First of all: Welcome to BIT forums!!!!

1) Connecting the power switch is just as connecting a standard switch of a standard case! No circuits nor particular tricks: just a normally open momentary switch connected to the motherboard header.

2) I think it could be possible: you must enable USB support while configuring the kernel and then you have to google a lot to see if someone has used your same wi-fi adapter....

Good luck!

20. Shwang

Shwang What's a Dremel?

I'm having trouble finding information on IRMP3, but can it be accessed over an internet connection or LAN to re-arrange playlists?

Thanks for the reply.

Also, Who small can CORE Linux get? would it be possible to get it with a FTP Server and all the other software you installed under 60-80mb? If possible this would be great for fast startups.

Last edited: 11 May 2004