1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding blue optical mouse mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Maedhroz, 21 Mar 2002.

1. Maedhroz

Maedhroz What's a Dremel?

well, at least someone tried it

Bloo optical mouse mod

I don't read german very well, but I think the gist of it is that it doesn't work very well and you should only do this mod if you want a pretty mouse, not a good one. This is especially "pants" , as you guys would say, if you are a gamer.

p.s. ever since i started lurking here I've wanted to say pants just once.

2. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

what would be really cool would be if you could make the LED shine blue when the mouse was idle, and then when you move it it would light up a red one....
    soooo....
    2 leds (1 red/1blue)
    blue hooked up to power in for the idle
    red hooked up to the power in for the "in use"

i don't know if you could do this but it would be neat
    you'd have blue light for looks, but then red light for performance

any of the electronics gods out there wanna let us know if this is possible?

3. Cyberdome

Cyberdome What's a Dremel?

i wonder if anyone modded white led optical mod before .. ? hmmm

4. stewe151

stewe151 Stress Personified

how well does the mouse work with the blue led in? the altavista translater didnt work well

5. BlackFlux

BlackFlux What's a Dremel?

Here is a link to one of the many blue LED optical mouse mods. It's done to a older mouse but it should still help you out. Just one more note. Go to the Conclusion and then take a look at the Warning section which is the second paragraph.

http://www.taconuts.org/articles/2000/dec/3/page1.php

6. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

First up there arent two LED connections for "in use" and "idle", its the same LED just at a different brightness so unless you want to get hardcare you wont be able to get two colours. Secondly there was an article in english that did the same thing a while ago ... think they said it worked but not as well ... probably a brightness/wavelength issue. Finally I put about 6 different colours in my intellimouse optical explorer when I painted it but the red plastic is way too thick to see anything through kind of defeating the point .... if youre really that obsessed with blue you could maybe try the logitech !?!? ;)

7. stewe151

stewe151 Stress Personified

i dont think it would matter what brand you use, its all the same basic technology

8. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

I'm sure youre right apart from the fact that logitech optical mice come in blue with a blue LED in the back ..... :rolleyes:
    (although the eye is still red)

9. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

How well it works blue depends on the surface.

With my wheelmouse optical, my desk doesn't work at all any more. I started using a piece of paper and it worked fine.

I had to pull the red plastic thingy out. The LED is a super bright, Radio Shack brand that can light up the wall 6 feet behind me.(hehe cool) but, it has nothing through the red piece. It may be do to the monochromatic nature of LEDs, it may be because I am a kumquat and didn't have it plugged in.

A white LED may work if the mousing surface is very dark.

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i saw an article using white LEDs b4, there is one out there!, *apparently* it worked nicer than the blue ones they tried.

11. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

i can just imagine how sweet my mouse would look with a glowing blue LED seeping from beneith :p

12. boooda

boooda What's a Dremel?

So am I right by saying just replace the red led's with blue one's? Or is it more complicated than that...If it's just replacing them it seems easy enough.

13. Maedhroz

that's right, but you wouldn't want to with a mouse you use often

14. sobriquet

sobriquet What's a Dremel?

yeah i kinda figured that was the case, but it would be neat if it was possible, maybe there's a way...

15. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

Going back to the two LED's idea - that could be made to work...

I know that my M$ Intellimouse's LED dims after a few seconds of inactivity, so generally speaking, a circuit could be devised to detect that change and run power through a different output (in this case another LED) - I just can't remember the name of the circuit now :( but I think it would be a close approximation to Macromans 2 colour HDD activity LED's

16. Maedhroz

a trick would be to fit macroman's circuit (or something similar)inside the small mouse. its pretty compact as it is.

17. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

IT CAN BE DONE PEOPLE!!!

The microsoft intellimouse OPTICAL is the one I have. I have been putting off doing this becasue i have more important things to save up money for. If you have this mouse note that the back of it glows red while idle and the bottom glows red when you move it. there are TWO LEDs in there! I have opened it up and checked. There is the LED for the optical sensor and one in the back that is bent at a ninety degreee angle to make it shine through the back of the mouse. Put a blue LED in place of the back red one and bend it so that it is under the buttons. Now when the mouse is idle there will be a blue glow coming from in between the buttons on the mouse.

be sure to post pics if you do this mod!

18. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

changing the LED color is stupid
    its red for a reason, ultrabright red actually enhances the contrast of the surface, therefor making it easier for the camera to see things, if its blue is darkenin it alot and it could work terribly on alot of surfaces

19. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I changed mine for two reasons:

1) I had a few extra blues laying around

2) I didn't pay for the mouse.

I really can't see the blue glow underneath, so changing the bottom LED is pretty pointless.

If I were to do it again, I'd just change the back one.

20. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Ok people, LETS RTY TO LISTEN!!!!

I'm not talking about changing the red LED that it needs for the sensor. IM SAYING CHANGE THE SECOND LED THAT IS ON AS IDLE I HAVE OPENED UP MY MOUSE AND SEEN THAT IT IS POSSIBLE AND IF YOU FOLLOW WHAT I SAID UP ABOVE WILL WORK AND NOT EFFECT PERFROMANCE!!