1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you smoke...?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lorquis, 6 May 2004.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Nope

42.2%
  2. Once every so often if stressed etc

1.5%
  3. Used to but quit (go you)

5.5%
  4. Only if it contains other materials

14.6%
  5. Social smoker

2.0%
  6. Yes - 1-5 a day

2.0%
  7. Yes - 6-10 a day

4.0%
  8. Yes - 10-20 a day

10.1%
  9. Yes 21+ (I'm a feckin' chimney!)

3.0%
  10. Why smoke when I can rub battery acid in my eyes?

15.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

JAD's Is all that non-smoking petitioning making you blind, this thread is a simple poll, not to flame people, theres about 400 billion threads about smoking you can do that in, and from what ive seen every point has already been covered 10+ times, yeah there should be non-smoking bars, but there wont be, as smoking is a massive revenue...and another thing, after I work a shift for 4 hours in a pub, yeah I get a sore throat from the smokers, and i dont complain, thats it, a sore throat, from the 'inhaling polluting toxins' that your going on about it makes it seem that theres massive green clouds of chlorine gas been emitted from the cig's.

And were not been murdered by them, dying from passive smoking is extremely rare really, unless you live in a pub or use lit cigarettes as air freshners in your house (what a contradiction :p)

So just quit your whining, this threads just about seeing what percentage of Bit smokes.

- M@ (ps i dont)

2. K

K 528491

Well, I've never smoked and doubt I ever will. Regardless of what's being smoked. The concept just doesn't settle well with me.

Anyhoo, I agree with banning smoking in bars. And it would seem that all my friends that smoke do too. They say if you wanted a *** that bad you'd go out and have one. Otherwise you'd just suck it up and wait until you got out.

The idea of going to a pub or bar and coming out not reeking of cigarette smoke is one that puts a smile on everyone that doesn't smoke I'm sure. And on a fair few that do smoke and want aid in quitting.

Let's see how it goes down in Ireland.

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

anyone else suddenly getting an mage of JADS goosestepping...

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

The combination of ginger and grey doesn't do much for his complexion ;)

5. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

As a smoker myself, I wouldn't mind if "pubs" were to become non-smoking. As K said, you can go outside.

Where this isn't really possible is if you go out clubbing or the like and can't really pop outside.

Better yet, a rule whereby smoking is banned in pubs before a certain time. I know in my local that kids aren't allowed in after 9 oclock. In that scenario, a rule where smoking is banned until after 9pm or something similar would, I imagine, keep the majority of people happy.

8-ball

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

Smoke around 10-15 a day (used to be more when I wasn't working).

I normally don't have any problems with anti-smokers, but the 'in-your-face-smoking-should-be-completely-banned' type really **** me off!!
    Killing you with our smoke...jesus! As someone just said, dying from passive smoking is rare. Ever stood next to a bonfire for a while? Well, you've just inhaled the equivalent of 100 cigarettes. To inhale 100 cigarettes passively would take a bloody long time (you'd probably have to live with a smoker, and spend every night in a smoke filled room to get to that amount).

Not to change the topic onto drugs, but I do green every weekend (almost). If it's natural, I don't have a problem with it (includes mushrooms). With me being creative/artistic, it actually sparks off so many ideas.

7. Monster

Monster What's a Dremel?

When I use to smoke I would try to go where there was no one at to do it.. that way I wasn't being rude and giving them second-hand and such.

But when I seen other smokers smoking even though I had smoked too, I didn't want to be around them either.
    That's cus I didn't want all the smoke blowing in my face.
    I figured I was aging my skin enough on my own. I didn't want to increase the rate anymore.

8. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

will quit again...

I quit for about 5 years, but then got divorced and started going to bars a lot.....

9. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

the alcohol is screwing up the health of every single person in that bar worse.

if you're not gonna be drinking alcohol go to a non-smoking unlicensed cafe.

also, where i work the non-smoking section is completely free of smoke. if these things are well thought out it can easily be achieved.

quit being such a wannabe nazi

10. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

The only Nazis here are smokers holding a dictatorship over bars and pubs. Anyone should be able to go into a bar and mingle with all the people in there without being subject to the addiction of a few.

Anyway enough now this thread was not meant for a flame war.

11. 8-BALL

Don't know about most of the others here but in most of the pubs I go to, smokers tend to be in the majority. So why should we cater for the minority?

I don't mean to be awkward, but a lot of people smoke.

If there was genuine evidence that passive smoking were as bad as some people make out, then smoking in public places would have already been banned. As it stands, the issue here is a matter of comfort.

Equally, I don't want to start a flame war, but it should be up to the owner of the establishment to decide on the kind of clientele they wish to cater for. If the owner doesn't want to have smokers in their pub/bar then they could make it non-smoking. But they don't do they, because they would lose too much business. Why? Because smokers make up a much larger percentage of the clientel than you like to admit.

You have a choice which drinking establishment you go to. If you don't like smoke, go to a less smokey establishment and quit moaning.

8-ball

12. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Yeah, i love a good nicotine and tar bonfire every guy fawkes day. For a real treat we used to put some lead, arsenic and formaldehyde on too! :rolleyes:

13. Bit-widow

Bit-widow What's a Dremel?

Never even been tempted, even the smell makes me feel sick and i think my mother being a nurse would kill me! Also would get dumped if i did (what you get from having a very sporty boyfriend i spose!)

14. Monster

Monster What's a Dremel?

I know my bfs didn't like when I smoked either.
    Which made it harder for me since I was always going out with them and they didn't want me smoking around them.

15. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

ummm how??? This is only true if you are drinking to excess, the occasional drink does no harm to the body whatsoever, and as most people go out to drink socially i find absolutely no truth or fact in your statement.

so effectively you want to ban all non-smokers from, pubs, clubs, social events, and every other type of meeting of people. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: there is no law telling people in order to attend a pub you have to drink, what about the people who drive??

have you even thought your arguement through??

No one is a Nazi, but get down from your horse and take in all points of the conversation. Don't flame someone for doing something of their own choice.

Seems to me that your being very awkward, or trying to incite something. Admittedly the smoking community are the majority at pubs etc, but its people with arrogant attitudes like you that get my back up.

Probably the most agreeable part of your entire arguement, and it makes sense too, a establishment is out to make money from us and it just so happens that the smoking community are the majority.

Anyhow, less flaming more polling

16. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

Hmm, i guess it's only when you drink like i do that it's a problem then :worried: However you can't really say 'most' people simply go out for the occasional drink, most students tend to go out a LOT whereas marreid couples in their forties might go out very rarely. Again, this is a rather sweeping generalisation, but i think it makes sense that those who are going to suffer any measurable damage from passive smoke in bars are those who tend to frequent bars more than once a week.

no, i don't want to ban all non-smokers from smoky environments. i'm simply suggesting that if they're the maniacal anti-smoker type like JADS that there are alternative places they can go without having to get all huffy and making themselves look like a self-opinionated holier than thou ****.

true, it's not a requirement to be drinking alcohol in a pub, but i think you'll find that the majority of people do, especially at night when the bars are busier and smokier.

my opinion is the same day to day, and i'm sure it's fairly well documented on bit as one of these smoking threads inevitably pops up a few times a year :yawn: still it was about 7am, i'd had no sleep as i'd been studying for an exam, and was probably quite tired. sorry if i didn't put my opinion accross eloquently enough :rolleyes:

agreed :D

17. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

I have never smoked and never willl (I am DRUNK) so that is all I have to say . . .

18. 8-BALL

Wasn't trying to be awkward, just trying to stick up for smokers in the face of an anti smoker the likes of which I've never seen before. (JADS)

I think everyone who has admitted to smoking here also added that they try wherever possible to be respectful of those around them.

I'm all for reducing the number of smokers in the country.But it should be up to the individual. If more money was put into research to PROVE that passive smoking was an issue, and communicate this message, then I think things would improve anyway, but forcing people to give up is ludicrous and would never happen.

8-ball

19. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

And there would be the reasoned 8-Ball yay :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Forcing people to do things is never the way ahead, if history and my brain serve me correctly then 2 world wars were commenced due to people wanting to force something on others.

THIS IS A POLL THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

20. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

ill think ull find WWI started because of the assasination of arch duke ferdinand and WWII started because germany invaded poland....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.