1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote control, via internet

Discussion in 'General' started by fg0d, 11 May 2004.

1. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I didn't make the rules, I only enforce them.
    But as Lorquis says, if the thread creeps down the list then its naturally dying. Bumping only annoys people and brings a dying thread back to the top. If you didn't see the thread first time then sorry... are we supposed to bump all threads so you can see them?

Also Lorquis.... Mmmm Alfa :D :D :D :D

2. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Uhm

well, a small scale RC car seems 'easy' to control.. U only need to control the potentiometers with your computer... but U will run out of power pretty fast, and a rc car can be smacked against the wall aswell.. dosn't seem that intresting.

but maybe a 'slower' rc car, and run a power wire from the ceiling, and use a system like in a vacuum cleaner, to rol the wire up, when the car is under the center of the area it can drive.. and it will unwind when the car pulls it further...

I don't have any advice on how to control it true the net, sorry..

L

3. Rombus

Rombus What's a Dremel?

Problem with this could be the strength the winder will want to lift up with. if he uses a small RC Car, the car wont have the power to pull the winder, and when the winder attempts to wind in the cord, it will yank on the car. Also most winders I have seen are the click and stop kind (Yank>click click click> stop when get the amount of cord you need> yank> click> rewinds when you pull again)

As for voltage:
    Your best bet would be to pick out a car you want to use, and see what the cars batteries are, Then head to radio shack and get a wall wart of the same value (or as close as possible without going over the voltage). Then just wire that directly into the battery terminals. The car wont care if it’s running on batteries or dc from the wall wart as long as its the same voltage, then you wouldn’t have to worry about charging or anything.

And Java would probably be the best to control this with. I would first say write a program that controls the car from your computer, then work on integrating it on a website. That way you know the car control code works before you even attempt the more difficult processes of programming the web control.

4. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Quite simple really.

You set up a "charging station" somewhere in the house.. you then program the robot code to regulate the voltage and when it reaches a certain level ouputs to the web page that its "going for a charge" where you have a funny cartoon picture of a robot with a plug in its arse. The robot will need some sort of direction to the station. This could be anyting

A black line leading to the box that it picks up and follows, a light source so it picks out the brightest bit (could be iffy in sunlight) or if you really want to impress you kit you robot out with either an electronic compass so it can find its way to the box, or to be real smart, you could give the robot a GPS unit ;) or you could set up emitters around the room and triangulate the position.

As for the charget itself, it doesn't have to be horribly complicated. A metal base which could be nevgative and some sort of roof which is positive. The robot could then have wires going to both panels. Or again if you want to be trick, you have the robot extend an arm upwards and a leg downwards via a servo once it's placed in the box.... then once its reached a full charge it can scurry out the box. You should also implement some sort of "idle" system into the robot, if there are no visitors trying to control the robot it can either scurry around randomly projecting images (will consume power) or you can integrate a flip flop circuit. When the robot is still for say 5 minutes, a pulse out on one of the channels would flip the flip flop connected to a Relay to the power to any extras or servos. So the robot would "sleep" except for the microcontroller. Then as soon as theres activity at the controls you pulse out again and the flip flop flops again and the power comes back to the accessories.

Yes I know a bit abot hobby robotics :)

5. Rombus

Rombus What's a Dremel?

I love this idea, and it would be alot of fun to build, but i gota say:
    Wouldnet it be easier if you just had a dangly wire? :)