1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No post or moniter signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by death_star, 16 May 2004.

1. death_star

death_star What's a Dremel?

This morning when I wake up, I turn on my moniter and everything is frozen, so I hit held the power button and started up again only I didnt hear the post beep and theres no signal to my moniter.. help? The only thing I know that i did was take out my motherboard to tighten the nuts on my heatsink but when i tested it last night for a half hour everything seemed fine. Edit: Reset my CMOS and nothing. Think when I tightend my heatsink that.... 8 hours my comp was on after that cracked the core? I also tried my other moniter on it and no signal still so im thinking either vid card or...

Last edited: 16 May 2004
  2. death_star

Well from Asus's website...

I just built a new computer system using ASUS A7V333 and nothing happens when I turn it on: no display and no beeps from the PC speaker. What is happening and how do I fix it?

If you experience "no screen and no beep," which means your CPU and motherboard are not communicating, this could mean that the CPU is not seated correctly or a motherboard component is grounded with the case. To isolate the problem, please double-check the jumpers setting, ( Jumper Free is suggested) remove all the add-on cards, unplug all the hard disk and floppy cables. Then try booting up to see if you can hear any beeps. If you still do not get any beeps, try placing the motherboard on the table (or isolate from the case) with CPU & FAN and speaker only, and reboot.

Its not my motherboard (i have a7n8x-x) but do you think my cpu really did mess up? Also, when I take out my vid card, there is the no video card present beeps (long, short short) so is that a good sign?

3. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

It could be that when re-seating your motherboard, it has come into contact with a conductive part of the case, grounding itself? as suggested by the FAQ you quoted.

I would try re-seating the motherboard in the case, if that doesnt work then switch out the CPU.

4. death_star

Yes, but take into account that last night it worked fine when i tested it for a half hour before going to bed. Diodes temps were 33º and socket 28º as usual so that also might mean the cpu is fine.

Edit: Wiggled the mobo around and tried again, I hear the beep for my usb device (keyboard, mouse) but nothing else.

5. Ashen

Ashen What's a Dremel?

Exact same thing happened to me on wednesday mate. Luckily i have an MSI mobo with that handy little D-bracket gizmo which told me that it was my CPU.

No post, no monitor, but plenty of early HDD activity ( in fact the light just stayed on). Sound familiar? I would recommend grabbing a nice little 1600 duron just for checking motherboards if your an amd-hoe like me. I also have the A7V333 mobo.

Sorry can't be of more help but definatly sounds like your CPU.

6. death_star

Yep, thats exactly it, HDD light was constant. Looks like I need to shell out 80 bucks again :duh:

7. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

I know it's shotting in the dark alittle - but is there any chance a screw could have dropped behind your motherboard in that time? That might earth something...

8. death_star

I just took off my heatsink (took a half hour lol) and the core doesnt appear to be cracked, should i run it on a table?

9. Ashen

Ashen What's a Dremel?

My cpu core wasnt cracked either but it sure as hell didn't run in my sonata or lanboy sooo :/

10. death_star

Well I took this to my local computer shop cause I had no idea what to do now, they see the heatsink and go hey guys calling everyone "come check out this kick ass heatsink" they were in awe for 15 minutes at it :rock: (thermaltake silent tower) hopefully they can get me an answer.

11. TMM

TMM Modder

what ever you do don't let the guys at the shop fix it. just let them tell you whats wrong, and do it yourself. tbh, it sounds like the cpu is fried/cracked. I got an almost invisible crack in a Pentium3 core just under a year ago, which then made the whole system unbootable :wallbash:

12. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

this happened to me before...

then i foudn that if i lay my computer on its die and try to start it...it suddenly worked?!?!

turned out i'de tightened the screws in my heatsinks and one of them touched a bit of wirewoolydusty crap behinde the mobo and was enough to ground it!

anyway, laying it on its side ment there was less pressure on the bottom screws and so they didnt go in quite as far hence it worked....just had to clear up abit better :p

13. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

This sounds like the exact problem I'm having as of this moment with my mATX, all I get is HD and no video feed, the monitor dosnt' even come on, is that the same as whats happening to you?

14. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

oops..being the idoit that I am I didn't suspect that the mobo needed the P4 connector as well as the 20pin..works now ha..oh my..first comp I'm building from scratch, still learning. :wallbash: