1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Tech Celtic Laptop

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by acidfire, 16 May 2004.

1. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

Alright, well this is a project i started to surprise my fiancee for when she starts school in september. She has a strong Irish background and loves everything that comes with it, so I figured this is the way to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lid sanded and being prepped for cutting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But i wasn't happy with the results, which comes in later.
    I also did this cd rom window since she will only ever use the one module in the bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, everything was far too thick (the lines), so this will be cut out eventually as well.

Color decision got changed again to a duplicolor METALCAST blue. Cheaper to do all the bits and looks pretty spiffy. I'm also trying to get a dell wireless keyboard and mouse from **** since i like the control layout, plus my friend owns one and its pretty nice so.

So i think overall it's going to have a techno-futuristic celtic feeling
    :D

Lemme know what you think, when i get the chance i'll post pics of the progress of the window.

Last edited: 16 May 2004
  2. planki

planki ...

may i ask what laptop you have taken apart ("destroyed") to do that??

3. Steamed Turtle

Steamed Turtle What's a Dremel?

Looks like a Dell Latitude CPx

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

from what I've ssen so far...you have just destroyed that laptop.

5. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

Hey, cool stuff! We don't often see laptop project logs, so i'll definately be watching this one with interest!

6. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

How are you possibly going to put that back together?

7. ubernewber

ubernewber What's a Dremel?

allot of duct tape

8. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

You overestimate the difficulty of working on laptops... If you take your time and keep track of what you've done, it's easily successful!

9. Chrizzle

Ya but he cut the plastic around the keyboard in half.

10. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

nice work! I've never seen anyone mod a laptop :D very brave :)

11. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Eh? No he didn't; the keyboard surround on that laptop is in 2 pieces, the bit above the 'board and the bit which goes at the bottom and around the sides. You can clearly see the 'panel gap' on the first pic of the laptop...

12. Disgone

Disgone What's a Dremel?

I'm not certain, but I dont know of many laptops that come in camo paint as the stock color, so maybe he's already taken it apart previously to apply that paint job? Obviously he, or somebody he knows, has done this before and it still works. Otherwise giving somebody a modded but non-functional laptop may be awkward, unless of course they have a lot of paper in a windy room.

13. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Looks good so far man, keep it coming. As said if you keep the screws organized when you take them apart you should not have a problem with working on a laptop.
    That looks like a Dell Latitude C600, I replace motherboards on those all the time at work and they are pretty easy to work on but yeah it does take a brave soul to cutup a laptop like that. :rock:

14. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

lol i think it is funny how alot of people are amazed that a laptop can even come apart :hehe: . Nice work so far. I am waiting on a new power supply for this nec laptop i got for free from my work (among a ton of other things). Now I am inspired to mod it while I have it apart replacing the power supply(i know its not a "power suply" but that is just so much easier to say). I say good job and cant wait to see the final piece.

JEEVES

15. Chrizzle

I see now, my bad. Good luck with this.

16. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

LOL, its nice to have such a warm welcome here :D
    First off, its a dell CPT-S, scored it for free.

Alright, well i think i should give a bit more background on this project and where its going. I got the laptop while working as a 1st year electrical apprentice at a building downtown. I actually rescued several of these from the compactor, and got one working with parts from the others. I used it for awhile and it made a great mp3 player in my car, but i got bored of the way it looked. so i hit up the paint section at my local canadian tire, seen the kryon camo paints, hackers jumped into my head and i grinned. Two days later i had a laptop that only i could use since no one else i know can keyboard without looking at the keys. This worked out great during the first year of my New Media course, but was utterly useless when it came to 3d and video, so i resigned myself to buying a new laptop (getting it at the end of the summer). Since my fiancee is starting her nursing course in september, i thought i would surprise her with this and a buch of extras for it since she doesn't own a computer.
    So, here are the system specs:

Dell latitude cpt-s
    500mhz celeron
    256mb ram
    12 or 20 gb drive (haven't decided yet)
    cdrw/dvd combo drive
    14.4" screen

What i plan to do for it:
    - Matching 15" monitor and dell docking station
    - Wireless kb/mouse
    - Window in the back of the LCD (like the new apple logos that glow)
    - CDRW/DVD Window
    - Celtic runes and patterns etched into the plastic
    - Her name etched in ogham on both sides of the lcd
    - Everything painted in matching Duplicolor Metalcast Blue & Chrome

I did the original camo paint job and thats why i dont have a problem with taking the thing apart. That being said, I did manage to distroy it alittle. When testing a laptop hdd window mod with this thing, something slipped and shorted out the mobo :wallbash: so i'll be picking up some parts off egay unless someone knows a place to get dell stuff cheap. LOL i also grabbed a kb online but i misread the auction and the damn thing is for a c600, so i have to get rid of it and get the right one. Since i fried the original mobo, im trying to get a gutted one with a 14.4" screen (hers is a 12.1" right now). so im using the casing that i have to test out ideas for the window, but i think i've got it figured out. Right now im trying to scrape up the cash for the gutted stuff, so i'll keep you all posted with ideas and whatnot in the meantime.

sorry for the long read :D

17. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

oooo tough break my advice buy a desktop and conform..or else :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :hehe:

18. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

19. Kolmik

Kolmik What's a Dremel?

Ummm :eyebrow: how do you intend on keeping the dust out of the CD drive? :worried:

20. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Probably with a piece of acrylic.

looking good. Got to admire a guys who has the guts to mod a keyboard. maybe I should mod my old Dell.

I will be watching this one.. :D