1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Stealing college IT

Discussion in 'Software' started by calnen, 6 May 2004.

1. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

The computers at our college are so tightly locked down you cant do nethin. so much u cant even right click in your space on the hdd. Also they set all the screen resolutions to 800*600, just when they are running 17" crt's in tech its horid. so i got them to change it to 1024*768. didnt want to go any further.

The computers are amd 1600's and the cooling is stupid, they are desktops, some have a single 40mm fan in the back. Others have a single 80mm fan on the side. The heat produced is so stupid, no wonder some of the computers died within a year.

2. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

The comps at my school have a proggy called deepfreeze installed on them. You can make all the changes you want, but the changes are reset when the comp is.

3. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

RM computers anyone??? we had them at my old school. we used to see how we could get arround the security they put on them, which wasnt to hard. i heard storys of people crashing the whole RM network by loading data power. also people installed unreal and stuff which was quite good fun

since ive gone to college i havnt done anything like that, just used them for work. you get your arse kicked in the libary if they were to catch you doin anything but work, including looking on bit-tech so i rarley go there :p.

anyone ever tryed overclocking the computers at school??? or bios passwords all round.

oh and about mouse balls, some still go missing at college even in the computing only rooms...... (what do people do with them all, use them in their art project???)

4. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

I'm suprised no one has yet mentioned the guy in America fined (and/or sent to prison for - I forget?) $100K ish? for running Seti on corporate machines without permission - and he *was* the administrator.

5. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

Getting around bios passwords is extremely easy. Just run the small "killcmos" tool to reset all cmos settings. I never tried overclocking anything in school though. I usually work on my laptop in school anyway.

I got into a hell of a lot of trouble way back in 6th grade for doing some really stupid things with my friends. We wrote batch scripts which would simply display "Hit any key to continue" for a thousand times at startup, wrote a qbasic program to simulate a login screen and then display the user's password over the whole screen after it was entered, installed one harmless virus etc. After having done this on a couple of computers the IT teachers somehow figured that it was us who did it. Got suspended for 2 days... :waah: But as wisdom comes with age I would never do that again :)

6. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

lol sounds like ya had fun tho!

someone got into a load of trouble at my school for doing something not really IT related but i'll say anyway. they got pictures of the IT teachers then put them in photoshop and made some "amusing" pictures with them in different costumes etc. then blew them up to about 4000% and put them up all round school. was very funny too cause there was one on the door of the headmaster's office....

the admins at school are soooooo strict too! you have to get every floppy disk virus scanned before you use it and you can't even right-click. would be nice to run seti because they're pretty new machines and there's a really powerful server too... :sigh:

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I enjoy the setup at my school. No clue how many computers there are though (umm, lets say 30ish class rooms, 25-30ish computers in each room, then 100+ scattered about randomly, and they're mostly P4's @ 2.17ghz, about 40 of them are dual P4 systems, and the stats just go up from there [can you say "huge freaking budget"?]). The setup is basically that you can install/change/do whatever you want to them, but when you log out the computer gets reset to it's orignal state. All your information is kept on the school's central server (well, server's), and you have an alloted amount of disk space on the server. Works very well, and they haven't had any problems with computers going down due to idiots messing with them :thumb: (and btw, every computer is dual boot with xp pro and linux RedHat ;)).

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

One word: wow :jawdrop:

Yes.
    Yes I can.

9. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Hehe, talking about computer misuse . . .

one of the admins at my old college got fired a few years back for getting caught forging a tax disc in photoshop :hehe:

10. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Newcastle Uni, God knows how many PCs are floating about but as an engineering student the ones i come in contact with (about 75+ at times) are all build for CAD. so thats Dual 2.4Ghz with 2gig of ram with dual monitor outputs provided my matrox cards (that cards do a fantasic job tho :D). To what i understand there not as highly spec'ed for other departments but are comsomised for there use (I.e. drawing tablets for the art students etc.)
    Also the network connection isnt THAT bad over here, just a bit restrictive (evan at the flats).

11. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

12. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

my school is hell... we are ment to use an aplication called workspace explorer no access to anything is alowed. The only way to open an Aplication is through workspace explorer we have keyloggers on all the pcs and admins ban people for going in on google or yahoo images.

I got into some trouble once (2 week ban from net acess at school) for trying to get some work off my webspace. My webspace had been put on the filter list so I got an internet ban when I typed in the web address of the work I wanted. although my site had nothing that contrevined their terms of usage on it (no games/pron).

logging on takes 10mins and webpages load asif coming through a 28k modem. It's so unusable that I have on occasion refused to use the computer system at school when asked to by a teacher on the grounds that It's not usable. (somthing that always gets a knowing smile or nod).

btw dell laptops are rubbish to overclock.. :p

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

they have been having huge problems at my school with ppl sharing games and films over the network, so they very cleverly banned external hard drives without telling any of the housemasters what they looked like (its a boarding school) and then upgraded the network to 100mbit.

unfortunately, there is a stranglehold over the internet and it took me quite a while to get bit-tech and engadget unblocked :( they have just got 100mbit internet though :thumb: to replace the 10mbit that was shared with more than 2000 people

14. RTT

RTT #parp

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!

15. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Lol, indeed, odd thing is I actually remember it, my oh my i spent far too much time on bit-tech

16. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

lol, i was reading it and wondered why people were bragging about the 2.4GHz P4's at their school, didn't think to look at the date!

:p :duh:

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

bah my college still have p4 2.8 , haha

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Christ! 3yrs ago I posted in this thread... glad I don't have to deal with any support issues these days :)

19. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

Well calnen's stated location isn't prison so I guess he got away with it :p

20. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Hehe... RM computers..jesus...I haven't used those for about 6 years...They were awful. So slow that even running win 95, they took 5 mins to start up. Literally. Then while you were waiting for the logon prompt to load, you could move the prompt itself around the screen, and it'd leave copies of itself across the entire desktop. It was great fun while you were waiting and the admin (Yep, only one. And he was a teacher with admin duties, not a proper administrator) DESPISED it because it increased the load to pretty much 100% per machine.

Later on we got different machines. I almost got kicked off a GNVQ course once because I installed SNES9X on our shared computing area (The X: drive). Some other program used a file called index, and so does snes9x. THat other program mistook the snes9x file as its own and it ended up causing a lot of problems in some piece of software. I never found out which.

Tags: