1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :blingGreen(04/03/2005 - MaximumPC's June issue! Rig of the Month!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 21 Apr 2004.

1. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

Here you go, you can borrow some of mine.
    [​IMG]

Wow it was even on the video? You'll have to tell me how it works out, I tried to fill a large hole with it once and it had lots of air pockets. I think I could have reaplied it later and gotten rid of them, but I was too lazy :wallbash:.

2. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Traveling

It is official. I'll be spending the 27th May - 3rd June in London, Middlesex... right across the street from Heathrow. They are flinging me "over the pond" to fix some stuff in that office.

Obviosuly, if I dont get this completed (patiently, I might add! ;) ) I'll be out another week on the updates.

On the other hand, :idea: anyone like to get together and have a bite to eat during that time span?

3. Meatloaf

Meatloaf What's a Dremel?

GREAT! I watched this project form the begging and lovce the way it's turning out. Keep it coming, and have fun in London. Bring me back some goods. lol :hehe:

4. Tech-Daddy

I got tha goop... bayy-behhhh....

"Glazing putty"

Such a simple FREAKING concept.... and it is cheap too!!!

Man, properly used... this stuff ROCKS!!!! I'm in the middle of smoothing out my front bezel (you should see this thing... looks like it went through east LA and got gang'ed on! Bondo... paint.... glazing putty... sanding...

I'll post up a pic tomorrow after I finish sanding everything out, but before I hit everything with the final primer! (ran out tonight... :duh: )

I have lots of hi fill... but that is only good to a point! ;)
    Needs to get myself a few cans of the regular primer, then I'll have some good action to take pictures of. Right now, it would be a seriously boring a$$ update of "this is me sanding..." and "this is me sanding...", oh yeah... dont forget, "this is me sanding..."

I think you can see the excitement! :D
    But all of that sanding is nearing an end. I hope it ends by tomorrow! :dremel:

All of the cuts are done, almost all (90%) of the sanding is done. Proper painting is what needs to happen now, and I have the 1500 - 2000 grit ready for the wet sanding on this! Need to get me a squirt bottle and fill it with some soapy water... think I'll kike one from the maintainence crew at my work! (Management company blows chunks there anyway... ) KIDDING!!!!
    *disclaimer* "It is not right to take/steal goods that do not belong to you! */disclaimer*

I've got a bottle here, but I think my son used it in his sandbox... so I think we all know how effective THAT will be! :rolleyes:

NE way... off to shower. Covered in dust from, yep you guessed it.... SANDING!!!!

This "patience" thing is not only difficult to control, but can be pretty dang messy too! ;)

MOD ON!!!!!! :dremel:

5. Tech-Daddy

werkin on the pics, have an update for ya in a little bit!
    :thumb:

6. Tech-Daddy

Ok, the fix is done! Now the real painting can begin!!!

WOOO HOO!!!!!

Ok, here we go.... Gotta make this fairly short and sweet! I have a few pics, and I"m dragging a$$, need to go to bed.... zzzzzzzzz
    Comments are below the pics....

[​IMG]

Here we have my top window and the front bezel in all of it's East LA bondo'd/sanded/unpainted glory!!! Hehehe, I kinda like the look! Might try for something like that in the future and clear coart it! ;)

[​IMG]

Applying a bit o' the bondo on the side window vent areas to try and even out the surface and get the edges clean...

[​IMG]

Primered front bezel, over that nice swirl of color!

[​IMG]

Sanded out bondo on the side window. Used some of the glazing putty to even it out and make the surface nice and smooth!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Showing the contours and smoothness of the front bezel... much, MUCH better than it used to be!!! :thumb:

[​IMG]

My top window... I'm still contemplating how I'm going to mount the lexan or plexi on this. Am I going to color it? Will I tint it? I'm still workingon these and many other options for the top window...

[​IMG]

My back panel, just wet sanded it with 1000 grit, and now using a bit of glazing putty to full in a nic and a ding that I did while sanding... whoops!

[​IMG]

THe side window, sanded, primered, and drying. I'll try to get it painted tomorrow.

All 3 of the pieces will be wet sanded tomorrow, and have additional painting steps put on them as time and materials allow.

After the painting/sanding, then I'll hit up the clear coat after the paint has had a few days to dry!

:clap: :clap:

I'm planning on moving my components over to the new green frame this weekend, while the paint is drying, and then working on the PSU mod and the hard drive mods. :dremel:

More later!
    MOD ON!!!!

7. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

Looking good. Sand on! I think that us modders should have a sanding party. At least then you have something to do while you sand until your arm falls off. Of course all that sanding pays off when you have a high gloss quality finish :).

8. AlaskanModder

AlaskanModder What's a Dremel?

That door is looking good :thumb:

9. Tech-Daddy

Thanks guys... much appreciated on the compliments! Looking forward to wet sanding tonight and getting a few more layers of paint on it! and getting it nice and smoooooooth!
    ;)

10. TomboyMS

TomboyMS What's a Dremel?

Looks nice. Keep up the good work.

11. Tech-Daddy

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Why can't I ever be satisfied!??!?!
    I had that front bezel looking NICE!!!!
    I got a small run in it. I let it dry, I wetsanded with 1000 grit paper until the run was not there.... then part of the paint lifted where the run was...

Whoops! Let it dry, pop in some glazing compund, let that dry, sand... yay! Everything would be great!... right?

no...

I'm still not sure what happened, but it almost seems like the putty bonded/mixed with the paint, because as I sanded, the putty AND the paint gave way!!!!

OMG??!?! WTF is going on here??!?!?

Leave it alone, step back. Let it dry. Plent of other things to do...
    Come back to it, sand it out, smooth the scuffs as best as possible then putty, sand, wet sand, wipe, tack cloth, primer, paint.

JEEEZUS!!!!!

This bezel is cursed!!! I have had more problems with it than should be allowed on an entire mod!!!!! :hehe:

Starting to transfer my hardware. I have the mobo mounted in the case. I'm trying to wrap up the front bezel, so that I can place it on the front and show off the front fan (which I tested and it looks sooo cool) through the fan duct!!!!!

I'm going to try and start polishing my drives while I wait for the glazing putty to dry and then the primer to dry.

I also stripped out the back plates for the PCI/AGP cards, as well as the filler blanks. I'm in the process of getting them painted to the Metalcast Green to match with the case. letting those dry right now as well...

Lots going on
    I hope to have pics tomorrow of the accomplishments.

still going strong tonight! :naughty:

12. Tech-Daddy

mounting in my hardware this morning, and all is going well....

I just figured out something regarding MetalCast. I've had issues in the past where I sprayed something with MetalCast color paint and it came out awesome, straight out of the can. Other items I have sprayed came out cloudy... thought it was a bad can, until I had 3 in a row from different batches and different retailers.

So I took my tack cloth this morning to my back plates that I had painted, and found out that the cloudyness that I was seeing was some sort of powdery residue from the Metalcast process! Little bit of buffing, and the powder lifted right off into the tack cloth, and the deep color came right out!!!!!
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very happy about that!

Still sanding my bezel to repair whatever it was that happened last night. The other metal pieces are going according to plan.

More in a bit!

13. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

This case looks really nice so far Tech-Daddy. Keep up the good work.

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

"It just takes some time..."

"Stick with it; the John Velcro way!"

heh, theres some words for you to live by :D Nice job with the case! Good luck! With all the problems youve been having, you're gonna need it.

15. Tech-Daddy

buh dah bumm... *ching*!
    Hehehehe, you a funny man! :hehe:

Last edited: 23 May 2004
  16. BadKarma

BadKarma What's a Dremel?

nice job on that side window. the edges look sweet

17. Tech-Daddy

Thanks, BadKarma! You by chance from the mecha site?

Also, let me state, for the record, that removing the pins on an ATX motherboard connector is a PAIN IN THE A$$... even WITH the proper molex tool!

There... I feel better!
    ;)

18. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Removing any MOLEX is a pain... Personally I would rather cut the wires and resoder them then heat shrink the whole thing... Any ways lookin good keep it up. Ohh and remember "With out defeat one can not appericate Vistory!!!" Don't let the paint get you down.

19. Tech-Daddy

Thanks Don, how is this for skewing my reality?!?!?

I was having such a hard time making headway on the ATX lead, that I simply stopped (because I could feel myself getting frustrated) and woking on the other power leads! Heheheh, that way I could "see" continued forward progress!

Still :wallbash: against the ATX power, but I'm making good headway on the other leads! Going to try and get the mods to the PS done and then get it painted. We'll see how that goes.

Bought my Plexi sheet, and will cut it to size for the side and top windows as the final assembly timeframe looms!

20. Tech-Daddy

Hrmmm.... I've finished up most of the other connectors on the power supply. would somebody please explain or point me to the link that shows how to remove a P4 power connector?

I've seen connectors where the connector is a square shaped 4 pin plug. I've done that one on the supply. There is another one that looks exactly like one half of an AT power hookup connector....

Any ideas on how the f*ck I get this thing off?

Well, last few nights have been nearly sleepless for me. I think I will turn in early tonight. Take care everyone!
    :yawn: