1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Sketchup 3: Subtraction

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ouija, 14 Feb 2004.

1. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

In sketchup, there is no option to subtract one solid from another. This has to be done manually with the tools available. This tutorial deals with creating a pyramid shape with a cylindrical hole through the centre.

Firstly, we need to make a pyramid. The easiest way to do this is to start with a square and bisect the corners to make the pyramid net. To let sketchup know that these are 4 individual lines instead of 2, we need to redraw one of the lines from the centre to the square's corner. This just splits the line in two.
    The pyramid plan

You may notice an extra vertical line from the centre of the net. Because you cannot manipulate a vertex in Sketchup, this line acts as an ancor. To create a pyramid from our net, use the move tool while holding the ALT key down and pull the ancor line upwards to the desired height. You can always enter a value once you move something to correct the distance. The ALT key enables auto-fold and allows you to move the item selected off its plane and into 3D space.
    Using auto-fold to create the pyramid and removing the ancor line when finished

Creating a cylinder or pipe couldn't be easier. Rotate the view so you would be looking at the face of your circle and draw one on the vertical plane. Adjust the view to ensure the orientation is correct and use the push/pull tool to extend the circle enough to fit through the pyramid.
    Select the new cylinder and use the move tool to drag it over in the red direction (move line will turn red if correct).
    Pyramid and circle
    Circle inserted into pyramid

At the moment all we have is a cylinder stuck in a pyramid. To make the hole we need to remove the cylinder, but not before manually subtracting. To do this, zoom in and redraw around the edge of the cylinder ensuring that the inference dot on your cursor is black. This means the cursor is at an intersection where two objects or lines meet.
    Retracting the intersecting objects
    Completed

Not only have you drawn a squashed circle on the face of your pyramid, you have also split the cylinder into two pieces. You can now go ahead and select the end circle of the cylinder and remove it. This will remove the excess material
    End of cylinder removed

Select the circle drawn on the pyramid's face and it will be highlighted yellow. If not, you've missed something while tracing the intersections and should undo and check again. Remove the selected face.
    Removing the newly drawn circle

Repeat the process on the other side of the pyramid and you will end up with something that looks like this.
    Completed item

This tutorial can also be applied to joining items such as pipes or shelves at an angle. You can use x-ray or wireframe view to remove any excess lines that may be hidden inside the items you've joined.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2004
  2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

nice guide. :D

3. comprocket

comprocket What's a Dremel?

Nice Guide. I am still stumped why they didn't make the software automatically draw the lines when you insert the cylinder into the pyramid. It just makes sense to me!

4. mcbeckel

mcbeckel What's a Dremel?

Nice Guide, Not Let's See If I Can Do It!! :thumb:

5. kracso

kracso What's a Dremel?

It worked :rock:
    Nice guide...let's have more of them.... :D

6. comprocket

comprocket What's a Dremel?

Wow, the thread from the dead!

7. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

:waah: :waah: :waah: :waah:

my skecthup expired when i was 60% done with my case design for the nikao contest... can anyone help me out ?

8. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

What do you mean?
    Buy the software :eyebrow:

9. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

Buy it, it's worth every penny.
    I love it. :thumb:

Tags: