1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Project Log:New Bliss2 bezel

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by daydreamingknight, 24 May 2004.

1. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

I go through this forum an a daily stroll and see everyones progress, and it's led me to do something more to my case. Dam you guys!:)

Bliss 2 is a premod that I did awhile back that I never wanted to sink a lot of money/time in modding. Being bored this weekend I set out to do some modding and this is what I ended up with. Use leftover materials and do it in one day was the plan.

I decided to put a new grey acrylic bezel on. Here's the case as it stood up to the point of the original project log:

[​IMG]

I've had leftover acrylic so I used the original bezel as a template. A few pics of the process:

Cutting the acrylic:

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure how to re-do the fan grill/airflow area, I just knew I didn't want the same design. I screwed both the old bezel and acrylic right to the dam table and started drilling!

[​IMG]

Comparing the two. No pre-set idea or design, just drilled... Time to break out the files!!:

[​IMG]

more coming...

DDKnight

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Interesting... Looking forward to this. :)

3. daydreamingknight

Continued...

I took a file and spent a few hours getting the lines straight.:wallbash: After test fitting it I pulled of the protective cover and put it on the case:

[​IMG]

Not alot of holes, but still pulls a good deal of air through. I didn't go for large holes since I do have a side fan blowing in:

[​IMG]

And for sh*ts and giggles I pulled out the two CCFLs and tucked them behind the bezel. Sound activated...my little boy loves it!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided not to put any kind of masking behind the bezel, just the acrylic..so any light will shine through it..yep you can see some of the guts from certain angles and from up close.

Several things I'm considering. Changing over all the chrome to metalcast red like the handles and fan grills...buttons as well. Not sure about the bars..may leave 'em off...I'll experiment next weekend and see what looks good...One thing I have YET to get to is hooking up the sound meters....

I'll get some better pics tomorrow..

Take care

DDK

4. daydreamingknight

Nothing fancy or inventive RotoSequence, I was in a creative mood and wanted to do some modding... coming here everyday just feeds the desire!

Take care!

(Hi to all the old timers!)

DDK

Edit: Wanted to add this, my set up:

OLD itty bitty TV and vcr I use as a 2nd monitor.. :hehe:

[​IMG]

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

lol. Changes are always fun though :D Now dont just settle for minor changes. Add something drastic to that sucker :D

6. daydreamingknight

I did drastic with Bliss Unleashed! It's just SOOO hard to stop modding once you start...

Take care

DDK

7. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

as you may remember, I've got virtually the same pre-modded case however I've not yet done a lot to it... one of the things I have in mind is replacing the original plexi front to a custom aluminium one =)

how hard did you find it to finish the edges so that it is about as goodlooking as the factory made edges of the original plexi front?

how did you make the design? just put the original front on your sheet of plexi and draw the lines? or did careful measurements and then draw?

nice idea to make a new front, I suggest putting your red alu backplate back, it looks soo sweet :D

8. daydreamingknight

As far as the edges go, I used two files and finished with sandpaper- it gives a very nice edge if you take your time.

Exactly. I just laid the bezel on top of the sheet of grey acrylic and traced it out. If you have taken off your bezel then you know its two peices. I used the outer clear section as a template as the alum. backplate is smaller and sits "inside" it. My choice is to use the original bezel or the grey acrylic.

I can't use both the backplate and grey acrylic at the same time...it wouldn't fit well and the whole point of the grey acrylic was to be able to see somewhat 'thru' the bezel.

Get working on yours! I'd like to see what you do to it!

Take care

DDK

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

back to modding again ddk;). /me wacths topic.

10. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

thx for the tips. yes I've already taken the bezel apart numerous times before (clean the fan filter, and off course to look how it fits :D) and noticed the size difference between the alu and acrylic parts, figured I'd need to use the acrylic but wasn't sure if I had to measure and then draw, or draw along the edges =)

plans thus far are quite simple, make a brushed alu front and a brushed alu side panel to fit over the existing pre-made window (yup, am getting tired of the black looks ...)

but first things first, I want to make a modular power supply, sleeve it and finish my fan controller before I start on the outter looks

11. mopery

mopery What's a Dremel?

I really like your style.

12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Looking nice... I really like the dark tinted plexi on black... just what I am doing with project divergence...