1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project ATI X800 SSR Pickup: Update (Have completed assembly and testing)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Robster, 13 May 2004.

1. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

oops, by lim i thought you make laminate. they make clear vinal laminates for cars that print out on huge photo printers at 1000dpi for cards, and cost like 250 for a truck, is permanent, and looks better than paint. im thinking you could have it done that way, or buy laminate and try it yourself pretty cheap.

2. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Well I am going to present it to the same guy that painted the hummer and see what he thinks might do a mix of paint and vinyl do the background and lettering in paint and the guy on the door in vinyl would make for a mix that way. also easier to apply just the one thing.

But will see he is supposed to be in this weekend so see what he thinks.

Last edited: 20 May 2004
  3. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Time for some body work

Trying to figure out when i went from a computer guy to a bodywork guy but hey that is half the fun of modding is getting to do more then just install hardware right.

Well got looking at the design that i came up with and noticed a few problems with the design and the actual body i have first things is they put these awful side step things

[​IMG]

So first thing to do was remove them and fix the holes where they were.

[​IMG]

Then got looking at the tailgate section and this was looking pretty bad so fill some here.

[​IMG]

Then we look at the deck part behind the seats now while it has something there it is not color matched to the truck and is also way to low so time for a new rear deck.

[​IMG]

First we had to make something to reinforce under the new deck.

[​IMG]

This should work it is epoxied to the orignal body as well as to the new plastic for the deck.

[​IMG]

so here is a better shot for sizing with the seats and such in place.

[​IMG]

Well now with that drying i got looking and i want to do a mural on the hood but again they put this weird stuff in the way.

[​IMG]

So here we go again time to cut it all out .

[​IMG]

Well now with a big hole in the hood first thing was to epoxy a new peice of plastic behind all this.

Then we bondo the hood to make a nice smooth place for the mural

[​IMG]

So that is it for now will do somemore on this tommorow will leave this to set real good then sand it tommorow.

Would have done it tonight but just realized that i am out of sandpaper :duh: so guess it will have to wait till tommorow.

SO cheers for now and see you tommorow.

4. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Ground Lighting

Starting to feel lonly :waah: no one posting comments.

But here is a quick update

Decided i needed to do something for ground effects lighting and ran across these while i was picking up some sandpaper and bondo for the body work.

These are for a car but they flash in different patterns so will work out well for what i need to do.

[​IMG]

First thing we need to do is get rid of all the extra junk on this.

[​IMG]

Well to minimuze on the ammount of stuff and make it so that both sides of the truck have the same light patterns we need to get rid of the single leds and split them to dual one for each side of the truck.

[​IMG]

Alright now only 7 more to go.

[​IMG]

Well all wired up now for the leds.

[​IMG]

Here we get it in the truck now looks like the poor truck has some alien thing stuck to it.

[​IMG]

time to test the lights make sure they work.

[​IMG]
    Yah they work but now the leds are a little to close so making spots but no problem take a little light defuser from a overhead lamp and all will be good.

Here is a little movie of the lights in action going through the different patterns.

Truck lighting patterns

5. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Woah, awesome lighting effects. I'd like a big one of those to go under my car :hehe:

6. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Movie request

Hey what about a nice AVI of the led bar mounted on the truck with the diffuser in place?

Don't leave us hangin Robster.

7. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Will be doing that tommorow night as i my glue gun ran out of glue :wallbash: one of those things when you do this in the middle of the night seems you always run out of something :sigh:

Oh well

8. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

Excellent work Robster. When you taking delivery of the X800 ?

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Nice job, Robster :thumb: But how in God's name do you afford making so many of these super expensive PCs!?

10. Spy246

Spy246 What's a Dremel?

looks great. Why don't u put some fans where the wheels are. I know it has been asked before but wouldn't that work?

11. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

These projects take all my extra cash i make custom comps for customers and have wholesale suppliers so that helps a bit but still not cheap.

But it is worth it all in the end and most of this is time more then anything.

As for fans in the wheels i was looking at that was thinking of making spinners but to do that would mean making some way for the wheels to still be functional as i am going to be able to save the rc part of this i was looking at it when i thought i might have to lose the RC part of this project.

12. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Body Work

Well got all the body work done on the truck it is not to bad considering i am deffinatly not a painter there is a reason i build comps for a living.

Here is the Body all primered and sanded.

[​IMG]

Now a few shots of the hood.

[​IMG]

From the back

[​IMG]

Now to put the hood on the truck see how it fits.

Looks good should be able to put the mural on here now.

[​IMG]

And the rest of the parts all primered up.

[​IMG]

The back panel behind the seat should work out real well.

[​IMG]

Well that is it for now will probly get around to painting the body tommorow as today is kind of overcast and looks like rain so hope tommorow is a little nicer.

Well this project is starting to take shape Still lots to go yet but hey getting there.

13. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Nice paint job!
    I loved youre last car mod, this looks even better :rock:

I wish I had youre skills :sigh:

14. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Hey Rob,
    sorry for my curiosity, but I really like the idea of putting a fully functional PC into a car model and I'm really thinking to start a project with some spare parts I have.... But I'm afraid by the cost of the model itself; how much can a model like yours cost?

I really like your work. :clap: :clap:

15. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

16. crazyman_130

crazyman_130 What's a Dremel?

wow, that cheap?! Also, what about heat and stuff...you dont have to worry about melting plastic do you?

Does Anyone know a good website where i can learn about leds and hooking them up...i need to learn how to put them in, i need to take an electronics class bad

17. bamsefar

bamsefar What's a Dremel?

Oh sweet.
    Really loving your work, one day I might try something like it myself
    (I love miniature models)

Wish you the best with your project, but thinking of the result from your last project, I know it will be great :)

18. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Paintin the Body Starts

Well got the first coat on the truck.

[​IMG]

Shot from the other side.

[​IMG]

The extra parts.

[​IMG]

This is just the first coat will do one more coat then turn it over to the painter for the mural. that will probly take about anouther couple weeks but the parts for the water and the riser card should be in this week so will have other things to deal with while he is doing his thing.

This is getting closer really looking forward to seeing how the mural comes out as this is a pretty ambitious project for the painter but he feels up to the challange and i have faith in his work. So should be interesting to see.

19. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I'm dying to see how it finally turns out. If it looks as good as you plan it to be, ATI would probably even pay you for it (maybe not, since they've got Zap's shuttle :D). I know it's supposed to be your gaming PC, but if ATI really likes it, you could put that money to an even better PC or to a bigger, better modding project :rock:

20. Peppo

Peppo What's a Dremel?

Nice work but that front window looks kind of dirty like greace on it
    i dunno if it's only the camera but the rest is a 10/10
    happy greetings from sweden
    keep up the good work
    //Peter