1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acidfire, 29 May 2004.

1. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

Alright guys, I'd like a little helpin picking a laptop. Originally i had Planned on a sager but i dont have $3200+ kicking around, plus i'd like to save as much cash as i can.
    So what I need this thing for is Photoshop, Web/Flash/Director Design, and if possible some 3d work (not important). I'd like a 60gb 7200rpm drive, and 512mb ram. I suppose the real question is, for price/performance, which way should I go, AMD or Intel? I'm just considering heat for this one, and power consumption, the longer the battery lasts the better.

Since i'm gonna be upgrading my workstation and building my gaming rig, so I was looking to spend about $2500 CAN on a decent one, so any suggestions would be apperciated!

2. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

If your using wifi I would suggest grabing a Centrino notebook - otherwise just grab one with a Pentium-M processor. I have read they provide very good performance and battery life. I use a Toshiba laptop with a desktop procesor in it and the battery life is like 1 hour 30 mins - sucks alot.

NOTE: A Centrino notebook is just a Pentium-M with built in wifi......

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Centrino ALL THE WAY! I cant recommend them more highly: my 1.7M has the performance of my mates p4 2.8 and a battery life 4x as long :) There really is NO substitute for a long battery life + power.

Dell factory outlet do good deals if you pick the right time to buy.

4. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Personally i reccomend an IBM with a mobile p4. It has around 5 hour battery life (once properly conditioned) and also i've noticed that ibm's dont suffer alot from faults. The t41 is a really really nice laptop, mobile p4...slim as anything!

(and i'd know ;) i repair ibm's and toshibas :rolleyes: )

5. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

use centrino for max performance with low use of battery and search one with radeon with esclusive memory for gpu64-128mb and 512mb ram for so :thumb:

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

/me hugs my 8600 w/ 9600pro gfx, 512meg PC2700 and 1.7M :D:D:D

/gloat :naughty:

7. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

good :thumb: