1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kingston, 29 May 2004.

1. Kingston

Kingston What's a Dremel?

Alright I got my 2.4 overclocked to 3 (250fsb)

Now for the ram. I am realising if i get PC3200 the ram only runs at 200(400). I just cant see the ram keeping up to the fsb at a 1:1 ratio. Now I could just get PC4000 500(250) but my motherboard only says it can do PC2100, PC2700, PC3200

So I guess I am asking could I put in a stick of PC4000 or will my mobo reject the ram? Or could I just do a 1:1 ratio without any problems.

MOBO = ASUS P4P800

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The limitations are the motherboard not the RAM, but as you have already hit 250 your mobo seems to be OK with that.

So yes you can run as higha rated RAM as you like.

You could put some PC600,000 ram in there, but it will only run as fast as your mobo will allow.

3. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

dam i want some of that, 75Ghz sounds nice

as said before if the mobo runs the cpu at 250 then the ram will most likly run at that too. i cant forsee a problem with running it at 1:1, if it doesnt work you could always tinker with it until you find some stable clocks and tighten the memory timings(correct me if im wrong).

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Well, what do you currently have, and what settings are you using?

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I think I should have worded this better, too much beer last night.

What I was trying to say was, all components have a limitation.

But when a mobo stats a max RAM speed its not saying thats the highest rated RAM module you can put in the mobo.
    Its stating the highest speed that the mobo can supply to the RAM, you can put the fasterst rated RAM you can find and put it in your rig, but that RAM will only run as fast as the mobo will allow.

Most motherboards will allow you to go beyond the sated speed, of coarse this may cause stability issues, but thats all part of the fun of finding how far you can push the system.

6. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

your mobo have max bus at 200mhz is very difficoult set stable at 250 mhz :confused:

7. Kingston

you would think so but I am running at 250 without a problem for about 9 months now and my idle temps are about 30 with my max temps reaching about 45. Right now I just have some cheapo ram (I forget the ratio but I think it was running at around the 333 mark.

Just bought 2X256 OCZ PC4000 DDR Dual Channel Ram. I know 1Gig of ram would be nice but my wallet can't take those prices.

8. TMM

TMM Modder

you should have got some Kingston ram :D

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

funny
    im using the same motherboard and im running 280Mhz fsb 1:1 with the ram 24/7
    308fb is benchable

you shouldnt have a problem at all running much higher than 250fsb on this board if you ram can take it (i would have suggested getting some PC4400, but it looks like it is too late now)
    you shouldnt have a problem running 3.3GHz+ on your cpu either

10. Kingston

Yeah I havent even tried pushing it any further although I am sure its possible. I just sorta stoped at 3Ghz and figured that was enough. I might when I get this new Ram. The ram I got in my machine now is really crappy.

the P4P800 is really an amazing board.

11. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

ok is possible with high voltage on the ram and the cpu but normally is very difficoult(not impossible read a precedent post)set this fsb.:D:D:D

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

with NF2 boards 250fsb is really quite high but with 865/875 interl boards and a P4 this sort of fsb is nothing. most 2.4C processors will *very* easily go up to about 275fsb on stock (or lower than stock) volts

250MHz fsb is nothing for a P4