1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide How to add a little art

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Skaal-tel, 4 Feb 2004.

1. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

I'm not even sure if this can even really count as a guide- but here it is!

In the process of designing my PC I decided I wanted my main inspiration to make a strong appearance. I wanted my non windowed panel to be a little more interesting than plain red, and needed to really bring out my theme. (Samurai)

When I was working at the ford dealership nearby, I had a pal in the bodyshop paint my case with red and black- and had him mask off a piece of the panel so I'd have a mostly red part black panel.. the black is the ground, with a slight roll to it.

Usually the process dictates that you promptly clearcoat on top of the auto paint, but I took the panel home, and with a can of black paint and a relatively small paintbrush painted my designs onto the side.
    The trick to painting with auto paint is to do it right the first time. If you have to go over anything you've already painted it will smear and show the underlying colour.
    The solvents in the paint are really strong, and the lower layer hasn't bonded to anything much yet. Make smooth long strokes and you ought to be alright- and it pays to pay close attention to a reference piece.
    Make all your strokes in one direction, no kindergarten style fill in the lines here, try to make all strokes horizontal or vertical, whichever is most comfortable for you.

So long as you put the clearcoat on within a day you don't have to worry about a lack of adhesion, and you'll still acheive a pretty nice mirror finish, despite your brushstrokes being immortalized.
    The clearcoat bonded just fine, and with a little car polish and wax you'll be golden.

I didn't have a digicam at the time of painting.. so sadly no pics of the progress- but I can show a finished product pic :)
    [​IMG]

Hope this inspires a few more interesting designs.
    Skaal-tel out!

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Very cool! :thumb:

3. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

Wow, I really like the way that looks! Nice work :) So the black you used is the same paint as the bodyshop used? Like black basecoat with the activator already added.

4. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

Looks real good…even I would be proud of the job. I noticed you still have swirl marks and hazing on the paint job. If this is a new paint job, ask you’re bro at the shop to hit you’re case with some liquid ebony in a few months (got to let it cure) and then wax. It should get rid of all the swirl marks… :thumb:

5. Skaal-tel

thank you all- yes its black basecoat with activator, great for touchups etc.

as for the swirl marks, those are a result of my polishing/waxing efforts. And they're invisible unless you hit with a camera flash. of course. hmm..

[​IMG]

6. Bluebark

Swirl marks are always only visible when the light shines on them. My comment was merely a suggestion on how to get rid of them…nothing more.

P.S. FYI...You never wax a fresh paint job...

7. Skaal-tel

aaaaaaaaaaah k.

No, I didn't wax it right after it was painted. I waited about a month or more- till I got around to it. :cooldude:

I've never heard of black ebony before, is it available in Canada? What exactly does it do?

8. Bluebark

Liquid Ebony is an ultra fine compound agent. It is also referred to as a finishing glaze. It comes in a squirt bottle and you apply it with a buffer with a real fluffy bonnet. As the Ebony is worked into the paint it break down into ever smaller particles as it starts to dry. It is very critical to make sure the bonnet is ultra clean. Any foreign material on the bonnet will scratch the paint surface.

The shine is great...I used it all the time. Especially when doing black paint jobs. If you do it right…it looks like you can reach right into the paint.

9. h3x

h3x What's a Dremel?

I love this design.. I hope you wouldn't mind me using a similiar idea. Where do you think I could find the paint, and the clear coating? Maybe an auto store? Where did you get the design for the samurai army? I am interested in doing something similiar.

10. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

he got it from a game called shogun: total war

11. h3x

h3x What's a Dremel?

I have that game, and i didn't realize it was from that. But I was able to find some shots similiar to it that 'm going to use. I think I'm going to do something like this:
    [​IMG]
    hopefully you won't think I'm copying you too much.

can anyone give me advice on how I should paint this and coat it?

12. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

:blah: total rip!!! :D

i like that blood splat for the contrast, that looks cool.

13. h3x

h3x What's a Dremel?

Just because i like his idea dosnt mean i can't make it look better. :rock:

14. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

AWESOME job with the brush. No way I could've done that. (no sense of line length) Very impressive outcome too.

15. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

word :rock:

we should have a black panthers smilie, you know, like :rock: but a fist straight up and all :blah: (but tougher looking) :fightthepower:

16. Sniper-X

Sniper-X What's a Dremel?

Sweet paint job :) and great finish :) I worked in a car detail shop doing the buff outs on new paint jobs (after they cured of course lol) and we made our own Liquid Ebony ...we took a nice high quality liquid wax and mixed it with a real fine rubbing compound it worked great :thumb: but make sure the surface and the bonnet are totally clean the slightest little material on it will scratch bad ....good luck

17. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Awesome !!! ... who needs a window !
    I would not make your own compound to polish the case , if you you use the wrong stuff you'll be sorry . Just ask your friend at the body shop what they use and ask him for some .
    Thanks for the ideas
    DB

Tags: