1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Divergence :: my58vw's HTPC :: 1st place CM3!!! New Pics :: 7/03/04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by my58vw, 23 Apr 2004.

1. SaintNicster

SaintNicster What's a Dremel?

I'm just wondering how you are going to capture the beauty of the case with only three pics? Are you going to send a video, too?

2. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

They give you three pics and a 15 - 30 sec 3 MB max video

I am looking for pics that will show off the case the most and possibly post around 10 - 15 on the forum for public viewing.

WOrking in the lower rack now... hope to have the inner case in primer tonight... :baby:

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Update Time... Lower Drive Rack, Priming and Lighting... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for some explanation...

I created the lower drive rack to look like the original vs and original design which I thought of when I did the sketchups. The lower racks supports the top rack with some peices of plexi that are attached between the racks.

The case has been primed the first time but there is still body work that is needed to the case inside like some metal removed from the edges. The back fan area came out nice along with the drive rack.

I primed the front after filling the last few holes in the front and did the initial priming. I knew there would be some areas where their would need some filler putty and I tried to show them in the pics of the front. Overall the front came out really nice. I am very happy with the lighting of the front also, It looks really nice with the lights off at night as you can see in the pics.

I plan of doing some clean up of the front tonight and then the metal work and I hope that the case sees paint this weekend... ETA 10 - 12 days.. :clap:

4. lunix_user

lunix_user What's a Dremel?

i'd be careful about those fans on the front...
    if you have this computer on display, some little kid wont be able to resist touching the fans, and he could get hurt.

Maybe some cool looking mod across the fans?

BTW, WTF are you thinking using A Windows Server...
    I know that you'll probably never go to linux as a desktop, but a windows server?
    WTF?
    higher costs, maintenaince, etc.

Good job though, and (another diss, I'm sorry) I thought the description sounded a bit cocky (in stating that it is the ultimate mod, etc.)

dont mean to start a flame.
    mod on! :dremel:

oh yeah, AMD all the way!!! :rock:

5. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Feel free to change it... maybe it does, that is why I posted it here first. I called it the ultimate "premod", the the ultimate mod all together. How would you word it?

might put some kind of mod infront of the computer case, maybe some grills on the inside of the holes when the case is on display... right now I want them open because they look the best...

I have considered linux, expecially apache for my web server. I use mac OSX at home and have played with apache and am working with it on that platform, would not be a huge jump to linux from there I think... I will think about it.

In essence this is a case that is designed to look "premodded" but provides all the custom feel that a user would want... Is that better :clap: :hehe: Remeber that I do not want to make anyone mad with the comments...

6. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

managed to miss this tread untill now, that face is awsome. how do u controle the ps2 lcd and rca jack or an s-video? mod on-mike

7. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Soldered on VGA connectors. Just painted front and applied clear... it is really really glossy. I choose a matalic flake black so it would look like factory powdercoating. I am not going for a mirror finish on this project but a subtitle glossy black finish, simular to the original gray finish. It is really hard to photograph and I am working on some shots now so they will be up soon...

Here is my shot of the case paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sides, top and inside are coming soon. BTW the inside is going to be matt black to contrast to the black gloss outsides and the black tinted plexi...

* Off Topic *

:clap: :clap: :clap: 500 Posts! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited: 3 Jun 2004
  8. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

LOL, and I suppose you've tried administering both? I have, and I'd take the Windows servers I've set up over the Linux servers every single time. Linux isn't the be-all and end-all you know, it's a case of 'different horses for different courses'.

9. Nevex

Nevex What's a Dremel?

Hey can I ask what screen that is and what all I need to do the exact same thing. I want to add a screen to my SFF :p

10. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

It is the play station screen that we have all seen in the modding forum, wired as the directions state. It is not easy to do the vga mod but it works nice... :D

11. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

uhmm well i don't reall know what to say...
    ...this is friggin kewl! :) tho way too many displays for my taste what are all the different displays for ?

12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

For show.... Just kidding... at least the top display is. The LCD is the main monitor for the server (stand alone, no monitor), the 1st VFD is for system stats, temps, HDD volume levels, uptime, etc (normal server stuff), the top vfd is for displaying "show off stuff" like components in the case and the ocasional cdrom is ejecting, etc.

This case is being entered in a contest and I really would like it clean, kind of like what you would get from a case from the factory. All the displays are going to be projected onto tinted plexi so you will only see the writing and not the display. This case is trully overkill to use those words, not like my typical modded cases that I do.

Colorsanding and polishing the front is next and then interior mod finishing and paint... ETA : 10 - 12 days :baby:

13. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

all i can do is: :clap:
    good job bud! :thumb:

14. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Quick Update... Painting and assembly time...

I just hot done with all the chassis mods and am now working on the paint... I assembled all the fans and the switches on the inner panels and am preping the outer side panels now. My plexi shop was out of the normal tinted plexi so I will have to wait till wednesday for that...Pictures will be up soon.

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Sweeet :D Show us the piccies! :)

16. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to install the inner lower rack. The front smoked plexi peice is in place. Still need to mount the vfd and the lcd in their places, soon to come. Construction pics will be up very shortly...

It is really hard to take pics of the front because the light reflecting makes everything look white. The top and sides need a little more work before paint also and then we go to assembly... ETA 1 Week...

17. SaintNicster

very, very pretty

18. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Interesting work on your case too.. look forward to seeing it.

19. SaintNicster

thanks. I'm trying my best. Still not sure of the Div, though. Actually considering A...

20. Reco

Reco What's a Dremel?

This is looking great. Keep up the good work :thumb: