1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Makeover [Part 3][Almost done] Pictures: 7/7

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bamsefar, 30 May 2004.

1. bamsefar

bamsefar What's a Dremel?

Superfreak: If you have ever looked at a molex connector and know the values of the different colors, you know more than enough to solder a couple of leds to a USB cable. But lets drop that subject. That ain't the only mod.

Supermonkey: Thanks, glad you liked it. As I mentioned earlier the point of the tinted windows is that the apperance of the case will be dead. And if I had the cuts on the outside, it wouldn't look particulary dead to me. So therefore the inside.

I'll post more tomorrow, and now we're getting to the interesting part. I gotta admit that the mod didn't look like much before I got to this part. But hey, you gotta do something first..

Last edited: 1 Jun 2004
  2. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

Thanx for the aditional pics of fluffy! Ganna try that with some red leds on a goblin statue i have!

3. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

:rock:'in dremel work. Keep practicing and you'll be a pro soon enough.

4. The Peacekeeper

The Peacekeeper What's a Dremel?

Damn dude this case is going to look uber good when your done with it keep up the good work.

5. bamsefar

Time for some Watercooling snacks:

RBX block:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like I'm one out of houndred who got a block with a bad finish.
    Instead of sending it back, I got my sanding pad and after som time, I got this.

Black Ice Extreme 2:

[​IMG]

Should be enough to handle some heat. Would have bought a different one today, but it's almost 6 months since I bought these components.

AC VPU block:

[​IMG]

Time for some cooling for my R9800pro!

AC Chipset block:

[​IMG]

AC Titan Watertank:

[​IMG]

Aquabee 500 Waterpump:

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------

I'm one of those who believe in absolute security, and especially when we're talking about watercooling. So I tested it for almost 2 days.
    I know I have alot of 90 degree bends, but it's necessary since I have limited space, and the hoses I bought easily collapse.. I'll try to get rid of them later, but not now.

[​IMG]

Here you have som pics of the setup. Notice that there is a Maze 4 block instead of the RBX? Well, thats because I managed to get a crack in the plexi top. And water flushed out. That's why I bought the RBX.

[​IMG]

Here you have the 3 previous blocks.

[​IMG]

Of course I got a leak. So I sealed it, and thought everything was okey.
    But after I testfitted it, I got that leak leak in the DD Maze 4 block for some reason, and my Motherboard drowned. Well after 2 weeks in the sun it's as good as new.

Update on the work later tonight

Last edited: 2 Jun 2004
  6. bamsefar

So we move on to the lists for the wooden frame at the bottom of the case. As I mentioned earlier I'm going to put on some aluminium plates so it looks like if the whole frame is made out of metal.

So I made a visit to the tinsmith and got one steel-plate, and one aluminium-plate. Went home, and compared them to the doors. I decided to use the steel-plate for the front, and the aluminium for the frame (as you already know)

[​IMG]

Metal to the left - Aluminium to the right (Both with protecting plastic)

So bring forward the tools, but this time the dremmel would have taken ages. Fortunately my dad owned one of the stores in the chain "Jernia" (Which sells all things that are related to.. ehm.. everything.. cutting tools, snowblowers, glass.. alot of things) so we got a lot of tools at home. After a quick introduction, I got down to business.

[​IMG]

These are the parts that I'll use. The long/thick ones for the sides, the long/thin ones are for the top, and the short/thick one is for the back, where I'll hide my floppy.

[​IMG]

So after some more cutting, I finished the bows for the side lists, and the hole for the floppy in the back list.

[​IMG]

Then I ripped of that horrible masking tape, and added some layers with clear varnish. Shiny.

When glued on:

[​IMG]

Oops, seems like I cut too much. Gotta make another one then. :waah:

[​IMG]

And that's what it looks like when you have the lists on. Much better than the horrible silver paint.

That's pretty much part 2. Start of part 3 later tonight!
    Hope you'll stay tuned :)

7. bamsefar

Part 3

- Frontmodding
    - Acrylic windows
    - Finishing details (That where I am right now)

Frontmodding:

[​IMG]

Instead of using the plate to the right, we're going with the left one this time.
    The front itself is made of acrylic (we're getting to that part later), but I'd like some metal to go with the rest of the case.

[​IMG]

After some looks at the sketches, I jumped in it and after the first cut it looked like this.

[​IMG]

After the second cut it looked like this. The only thing remaining is the hole in the lower part, for tubing where wires for lights, switches etc will be led through.

Remove that masking tape

[​IMG]

When I did this a m8 came over and he just begged me to rip off that tape, since he was very(!) eager to see the result. Actually, I hadn't looked at the side which had the protecting plastic on so I was pretty exited too.

[​IMG]

The steel looked perfect as it did, and I didn't do anything else than just get some layers of varnish.

[​IMG]

Here you have it after 2 layers of varnish. Not too bad, but it can get better.

And in the end a little teaser pic, about whats next ...

[​IMG]

8. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

[norwegian mode]Ser bra ut bamse, har jo sett den før da, på ok.no...[/norwegian mode]

Looks good, keep up the good work :thumb:

9. bamsefar

Time for some painting

So one day it hit me that I couldn't just let the Dvd and CD-burner untouched. So I took them down to the basement, and gave them a couple layers with the UV green painting

[​IMG]

Ready to go into the fire. Just had to remove the stealth job first.

[​IMG]

Then I masked them. You might wonder why, but in case I decided that it looked awful I could just rip of the masking.

[​IMG]

And seconds later they looked like this. I decided to paint the indsides too since I really liked the color.

Then I moved on to do some work with the front:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the two buttons I'll use for power and reset switches. Made of a pile of 5x5 cm acrylic and 3x3 cm acrylic, and then sanded "round" (they ain't perfect, but I didn't get hold of any round acrylic bars, so I had to make them.

[​IMG]

Here you'll see the microswitches that I'll use. I drilled a hole and just pressed them in. Perfect fit at the first attempt. In picture the camera actually got the right color. No idea how I did it, but I didn't get it again (as you will see in some pictures later on)

In the end..

Then I assembled it all together (atleast everything I had at that point) so that I (and you) could get a glimpse of what I will look like behind those acrylic windows

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also installed some of the lights. I'll have one green catode inside the wooden frame, and one UV catode inside the case. The camera is really bad at taking these kind of pictures, so when I buy one for myself this summer I'll look for one that shows what I want them to, not an overexposed blur of lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I use flash the UV painting looks like this, but not in real life.

10. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Thats a very green case :lol:

But green is good. Very good. :thumb:

11. bamsefar

Thanks, but remember that the color ain't so soft. It's much much darker.

12. bamsefar

It has been a bit quiet here, but that won't stop me from posting my project. :waah:
    Almost everything is done, it's just the front and the assembling left.
    When I did these parts I was in the middle of an insane rush to get done before the deadline of a competition (which I won btw), and therefore I don't have much pictures of the creation of the front. Really sorry 'bout that..

The front:

[​IMG]

Posted this picture earlier, but it's mainly the only picture I have. I only had hours to finish this project, and photographing was not calculated when I made a plan what to do first after priority.
    The front itself is made of 6mm thick acrylic that I cut a hole for the watertank in, and breathing holes arond my homemade "fangrill" (No fan behind the small holes that air comes out of btw) It's more like a painting, and has no functional purpose
    You'll also see the plate for the watertank, just to keep it in place in the front. Found out that it was better to make one, than to buy one in aluminium that wouldn't have matched the front.

[​IMG]

Here we have the bending process. I bent the steel restovers from when I made the steel frame, and just bent the acrylic with a heatgun. I know there are alot better ways, and pro ways, but this worked so no complaint here..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like in the end. Here it is positioned where it will be when im done with it.

Assembling

[​IMG]

Here we have every part that I made before it got assembled together. Everything here is tinted, either black or green. You have the windows, the front, and the box for the PSU that I posted earlier.

Soooo, does anyone want to see the finished case? :eyebrow:

13. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

DIS LOOK KUL ME WUTCHIN! :D

maybe a bit to "uv green" but nevertheless the case design is really nice

waiting 4 updates :)

14. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

i do
    i do
    :rock: :clap: :naughty:

15. bamsefar

I'm heading to bed, but I'll post the pics, and tell more tomorrow (English exam.. Wish me luck :waah: )

Here it is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, I'll stop the teasing. But before the final pictures, take a look at the original

[​IMG]

And so the finished case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it. Good night :hip:

16. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

UBER COOOL! :clap: :jawdrop:

17. Chief752

Chief752 What's a Dremel?

Good job on the case. Hope you have many happy days using it and enjoying the eye candy you created. :clap:

18. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

that oval on the front looks like an ash tray with a flip up lid, lol. Great job man looks nice.

JEEVES

19. Caffeind

Caffeind What's a Dremel?

for a first time modder..

i give you an uber rating of 8

VERY nice case :)

20. stoned penguin

stoned penguin What's a Dremel?

that is simply AWESOME :rock: :rock:
    VERY very nice :thumb: