1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspiron help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Falkram, 5 Jun 2004.

1. Falkram

Falkram What's a Dremel?

Hey guys...later this year I'll be getting a Dell Inspiron 8600...customized of course...for college that is...anyway, I also intend to be buying some z-680's...so, question, will i be able to hook the z-680's to the inspiron?...i've heard that the inspiron only has a head phone jack...I've also heard that it has a digital out port...so, yeah, any help that you guys can give me, thanks...

o...and i wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so...it went in general...if it's in the wrong one, please move it...thanks

Falkram

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Moved to Hardware :)

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

TBH I'd say those speakers might be wasted on a laptop... you jsut wont get the sound reproduction IMO...
    Sure bindi will clarify things, IIRC he has an 8600....

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Get an extigy (urrg creative *shudders*) a hercules, that zalman thing on the front page, or some other quality USB sound card. Z-680s would be truely wasted on an 8600.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

tbh, all the times ive heard Z680s ive thought they were crap, terrible treble and woofy bass

but maybe thats just me

but yers, external soundcard would be a must for anything more than everyday 2.1 speakers

6. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I wouldnt reccomend the z680's. A friend of mine has a set, there is a distinct hiss, and given the price of them, and the size of the subwoofer, the sound quality is not up to scratch.

For anything more than a decent set of 2.1 Altec Lansings though , I would also recommend investing in a decent quality external soundcard.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If it has SPDIF out id like to know about it :D Also they've got the 9x00 out now which replaces the 8600 iirc or something like that.

Yea, does just have 1 headphone socket on the side and only 2 usb ports which sucks a bit, and the sound quality is as youd expect - pretty crappy. Get the 5.1 zalman thingy - only needs usb power (from what i remember briefly reading the article) and should be ample for some surround speakers. Ive got an exitigy too - but its hooked up to my main rig. CMSS works nicely on it, but its h000000ge compared to the zalman do-dar. I just remembered gainward do a small/cheap 5.1 external soundcard too.

Make sure you get the M10 graphics and at least 512meg of ram and you can play fgames (like farcry :D) And definately definately go for the pentium M :thumb:

8. Falkram

Falkram What's a Dremel?

o yeah...getting a 1.6GHz centrino with 512 MB Ram and the 128MB Radeon 9600....so....it'll be a nice all around gaming/dvd/college work pc

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Remember to check dell factory outlet just incase they have good deals on, dont buy from normal dell consumer.