1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling pool as reservoir + radiator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theflinger, 23 May 2004.

1. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

Just looking out onto my nice pool, and was thinking...

If I could get components that could handle chlorinated water, and I used this setup only when the pool was open, couldn't I just run a hose down to the pool and pump water back up?

Although it would be a long place to go, the water would never heat up :D

Imagine having a 60,000 or so gallon reservoir!

just a dream because I haven't even started a watercooling rig yet..but....thoughts?

2. czechmodder

czechmodder What's a Dremel?

1 HUGE problem:
    pools are meant for use in the summer, thus hot weather=hot water. do u really want to be pumping hot water thru your system? not to mention the power of the pump would outweigh any cooling benefits of the pool/res because it would dump so much heat into the water.

3. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

sounds a bit pointless to me tbh :baby:

4. Darv

Darv Bling!!

5. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

How would you take that setup to a LAN? :hehe:

If I had enough time and a pool then I would have probably tried it. But I'm happy with my dual radiator system anyway.

6. Redimp

Redimp What's a Dremel?

What if someone peed in the pool? :D

Maybe you'd be better off hooking your pc to your cold water tank?

7. theflinger

the water in my pool never gets above 80 F, so I am not sure that that is a problem :)

but yeah it's incredibly impractical, the cold water tank has promise :D

8. Mr.Nonflex

Mr.Nonflex What's a Dremel?

the water in the pool is in contact with the open air, thus dust and dirt can get into the pool and get in to your waterblocks and pomp. :duh:

9. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

Submerge a rad in the pool... So its cooled by the water in the pool. Ideally you would mount it over a pump inlet/outlet (prob outlet so it doesnt get clogged). This eliminates the problems chlorinated water would case with the copper... SO long as the outside of the radiator is nicely painted/anodized.

Have always thought it would be neat to mount a rad in a stream/fresh spring... Waters almost always cold, constant flow etc :)

CYa
    S<a C

10. theflinger

I would obviously put a filter on my "pomp"

11. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

now that sounds like a good idea. i would go ahead and give that a try... OO if you live in a climate that is almost always cold outside, just put your rad in the snow somewhere =) ^_^

throw it out the window when it gets cold... heheh.. ACTUALLY. mount the rad+fans outdoors or somthing!!! that would be sweet. cold air+airflow=coooold water! :rock:

have fun tho

12. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

i cant remember where i saw it but there was this guy who modded a fire extinguisher to use as a res. basicly he used the part where the hose screws onto as the inlet/outlet once he sealed it all up. and dug a hole in the ground and burried(sp?) the res 2 meters underground and the pipes wer ran up the side of the house anlong a shaded wall (alwase in shade ) to his room.

if i remember right it was a dual pump setup one pumped from the res up the wall and the seccond was to boost the perssure once it got to his puter. the only prob was that he had to insualte his pc cos the water was cooler than ambient room temp.

oops sorry i dug up a old thread i jus noticed last post date :O damn related thread function

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I remember reading in an early CustomPC or PCExtreme (I can't remember which) about a guy
    who, for his rad, installed a huge loop of tubing under his garden, below the point where temps
    remain constant no matter what the time of year.

14. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

hexus i think.

oh look here we go

15. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Yea i remember reading that one. Was a lot more work than just trowing the rad outside in the snow :D . The was to do is to get a rad and immerse that in somthing like snow or water. hell you could always bung it in a fridge but then you may as well get a phase change setup.
    Anyone remember the BONG cooler? its on some website but i cant find it atm.

16. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

wasnt that made by some guy over on OCS (now leathal hardware) im sure bindi or lucifer (if hes still around) can shed some light on who that was http://www.lethalhardware.com/

Edit link fixed

Last edited: 10 Aug 2004
  17. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

404 on the link there. :confused:
    But im sure that name rings a bell. But you could just scale the idea up and use a shower if needs be :D now wouldnt that be a talking point...

"hunny...dont use the shower, im trying to play Doom3" :hip:

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I thought of doing this at one point but decided not to for a few reasons:

It would probably ruin the waterblocks
    You would need a pump with a LOT of power (at least for me, I'm on the second floor)
    I don't have a pool
    You'd get crap in the pump. And if you filter it, you would need to change the filter really often

But on the plus side, you wouldn't need to hear any of it since the pump would be outside and the SA of a pool is a whole lot more than any reasonably sized rad could give you (i.e. the pool is the rad).

And you get a free heated pool, if you're running a prescott.

19. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

there was indeed the dude with a fire extinguisher. But there was also the dude with a ruddy great hot water tank that he'd used 10 metres underground. It was about 10 times the size and worked great!

When I've eventually finished uni and got my own place, I am DEFINITELY going to do that!

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i do that....
    i have my BIX on my windowsill :D
    works great in winter, get sub 30C temps in almost complete silence :)
    not so good in summer, i usually bring it inside during the day to keep it out of the sun (damn sun, why cant i just feck off :p)

Tags: