1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding IDEA: 1.6" Color LCD Printer display (25 Bucks!) For your case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mace, 4 Apr 2004.

1. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

Thats one of those standards companies like CE or the FCC, basicly it cool to use that in some country someplace :p

But yeah, more info on this would be cool, if you got enough of those guys you could make a lcd screen from them :D

2. Eddiie

Eddiie What's a Dremel?

Well, I got mine in today and pulled it apart. Can't find any identifying marks....

I tried a different approach to finding the pin outs. I sent Epson an email asking for the pin outs on the connector on the printer. Epson Stylus Photo 825 or 925. They replied back saying they do not have that information but possibly their authorized service centers can provide that to me. They even gave me a couple of places to try. I emailed them and am waiting replies.

In the meantime, Im looking at the connector on the main board of the display... The wires are (left - right):
    Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Purple, Gray, White, Black

The traces on the board seem to tell a little story too... The Black and Brown wires appear to connect together. Same for the Red and Orange wires. This must be some sort of power input (?).

Also, the Black wire on the right side of the plug has a piece of shirnk tubing around it when it comes out of the wire harness, this tells me this must be and isolated ground of some type.

That's 5 wires... There is one remaining trace I can not figure out.. The wire is Yellow in color I follow the trace and it connects to a larger part of the main board.. Maybe signal ground?

The traces for these 5 wilres are about 3 times as wide as the remaining 4 wires... The remaining wires and traces are thin and tell me they must be some sort of signal... R G B and ?

Any ideas?

3. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Better idea. Write a program which interfaces with a motion/heat sensor which can track people around the case. Then send an image to the LCD of an eyeball which follows them as they move around... :D

Or you could mount them onto a headset type thing and us them as a portable display :p I have seen some on ebay which are designed for this.

4. Eddiie

Eddiie What's a Dremel?

GOT IT!

Pin 1: +5 Volts, --, +5 Volt Power Supply
    Pin 2: +5 Volts, --, +5 Volt Power Supply
    Pin 3: GND, --, Ground
    Pin 4: GND, --, Ground
    Pin 5: DETECT, Out, Color LCD I/F panel detection signal
    Pin 6: XPNLRST, Out, Color LCD I/F Reset signal
    Pin 7: SDATA, Out, Color LCD I/F indication signal
    Pin 8: SCLK, Out, Color LCD I/F shift clock
    Pin 9: SCE, Out, Color LCF I/F chip enable signal

Note: This is the pin out for the connector on the printer... The 'out' should be 'in' when looking at the LCD.

Now what?

5. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

WHOA dude you are my savior.... :D :D

but, uh, how can you make it into a useful plug, ie. vga or svideo?

6. kt3946

kt3946 What's a Dremel?

These pin-outs clearly identify the fact that the controller for the LCD is on the printer. The EliteMT chip on the head unit is nothing but an EDO Memory chip, probably being used as part of a serial data buffer (http://www.esmt.com.tw/DB/manager/upload/M11B416256A.pdf)

SDATA is your serial data stream.
    SCLK is the clock signal which runs the data stream
    SCE is the enable line, telling the LCD that there is valid data to receive
    XPNLRST - is the reset pin for the LCD driver chips (used to reset the display on power-up)
    DETECT - is probably a Power loopback to let the printer controller know when you have a display attached. More than likely, if you do a trace of that pin from either power or ground, you will find a loop. That way the printer can automatically know when you have a display attached.

Now, what you'd need to know additionally to make this work, is to find within the PRINTER the LCD controller chip that runs the LCD. Since Epson has a Semi-Conductor division that produces LCD controllers (ie. the SED13xx line of LCD controllers), you can be probabaly assured it's gonna be an Epson chip inside that printer.

Note: the serial data stream that this display is using is definately NOT electrically compatable with your serial port, and more than likely not a standard 8n1 signalling scheme that could be used with your generic UART serial port. It is likely you will need to use a SED13xx series controller in serial mode to run this display. You can verify this by pulling apart the printer and looking for any of the Epson SED series LCD controller chips somewhere on the Printer's main or sub-assembly circuit boards.

7. Valdeargos

Valdeargos What's a Dremel?

Sorry to reincarnate an old post, but I got one of these at the ARC today for $2. The controller is on board, but I can't find any info on it, as it aparently precedes the S1D/SED series. It's marked:

E09A34AB
    F0214S371