1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soyuz*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tmerelin, 8 Feb 2004.

1. tmerelin

tmerelin What's a Dremel?

Thanks everybody for your support! Makes me feel that I'm doing somethin right! :D
    In the weekend I'm going to finish off the wiring and soldering. If I manage to, I will also go and buy the insulation foam and couple of spacers that I need to keep going. And that's about it if not counting in the covers :rock:

On monday I will take the rest of the steel plating to metal shop for bending. Hope I'll get it done by the end of the week. If so, I will only have to do a couple of steel plates ready (the top covers) and Then only(?) thin gto do is to prime the surface and get it laquered.

Hopefully this project will be finished in two or three weeks plus the pro paintjob! :dremel:

I still don't know how to get the pictures though because I have to return my (borrowed) digital camera :waah: Maybe you'll have to settle for lo-fi webcam pics..

2. bjones247

bjones247 What's a Dremel?

Hardcore.

tmerelin: I'm enjoying the project - very unique, I must say. :clap: Subscribed.

3. Anzafin

Anzafin What's a Dremel?

Great job!! :D I´m having a case about same size as yours under construction here in Kajaani.

It´s very nice to see that there is some people who think BIG cases are great on these days :hehe:

4. tmerelin

Pictures please!
    Finns go BIG! :D

5. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

Any pics are good! Low quality web pics is all i can muster!

6. Anzafin

Anzafin What's a Dremel?

Sorry I don´t have any pictures right now, but I could take some.

It´s going to be a polycarbonate case;
    - height 90cm
    - width 35cm
    - depth 50 cm
    Shaped like any ordinary clear case. Actually it´s a rough copy of ExtremeMhz´s flagship case.
    But this one is self-made... :rock:

The case is quite ready, but those polycarbonate pieces are still separated and wrapped with cover plastics. So no amazing pics yet to come :worried:

The cabling method is a straight copy from the ORAC3 project. Shame me on that :blush:. But I just love the idea :thumb:

So, actually my project is not so my idea, but I think I will love the looks of my case after it´s finished.

edit: I´m leaving the town and the whole internet :waah: for two weeks, so it´s not affectation that I don´t reply any possible posts. But I surely will get back here when my two-week job out there is done!
    I´m keeping my thumbs up for your project tmerelin :thumb: !
    Suomi jees :rock: !

Last edited: 2 Jun 2004
  7. tmerelin

Sorry about the delay.. Pictures were ready ages ago but my ftp refused to let me in. But now that's fixed! I've been working hard on the wiring, and this was the starting point:

[​IMG]

And now:

[​IMG]

Notice the foam that is used to "connect" the electric boards to the case. They actually stick quite hard to the surface like sticky tape :D On this side of the controller box is the fanbus. And on the left the transformer for....

[​IMG]

..my now fully working headphone amp :rock: :rock: :rock: I'm not sure if somebody has done this before? Hopefully I'm the pioneer in atleast something :D

You can imagine how much soldering there was to complete everything in the controller box. And I'm still nott quite done. :dremel: Still to come are the LCD screen, the Parallel-to-USB converter for it and the lighting controlled from the box. Leds on the upper part and one ccfl on the lower part to give light for my webcam :confused: see the beginning of this log to know what I mean...

Here's an overview of the controller:

[​IMG]

And here the array of switches, top row from left to right: power, reset, headphone amp power, water pump, uv-leds, white leds, ccfl
    bottom row: Headphone power, headphone crossfeed adjustment, crossfeed on/off+headphone jack, 4X fanbus:

[​IMG]

I also got my plates from the bending shop to give you a little taste of what to come :hip: :

[​IMG]

And tomorrow to the metal workshop for the last(?) :hehe: time :dremel:

8. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Holy **** you've got some complex stuff going on in that box.

One of the most professionals fabrication jobs i've seen in a long time! :hip:

9. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Very Nice.. I like the look. Reminds me of 80's TV and the future that is..

10. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

Nice

I love the matching wc water and the plate on the top part. Ties the two parts together very well...cannot wait for more pics! :D

11. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

very very cool.well done :thumb:

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Very nice looking work on the amp, how does it sound? Which opamps?

13. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I've been looking at this thread for a while now, this is the first time I've posted in it though.

I have to say great work on the case, it looks fantastic (by far the best I've seen in ages, possibly ever). You've put a lot of time and effort into it and for that I respect you and your work :) I'll be keeping a close eye on this as I have been doing for the last few weeks.

-Sam

14. tmerelin

Sounds grrreat! Better than my Headroom Airhead! Only "drawback" is that the amplifying is not that strong. I'm listening in levels from 1/2 to 3/4 of the available power depending on the material. Saves my ears though. I think my Sennheiser 600's just like to have as much power as possible. The sound level issue is not a real problem though because the noise levels are extremely low even at full spl! :eek:

The opamps are TL074 and NE5532. Pots are Alps blue's. Jacks and connectors are all golden (name?). All internal wiring is done with either 2mm copper wire or Tasker C800 audio cable. Welded with silver of course :thumb:

Thanks! You just can't imagine how much time... :eeek:

It's a pity I don't have a car and I also have to work sometimes also :hehe: Makes the progress much slower.

I also ran into a problem because one of my fanbus knobs broke down. :waah: They are of really low quality. Maybe I have to unsolder them And buy some proper ones for all four fans...

But updates are still coming. Maybe tomorrow.... :naughty:

15. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

yeah i have jsut taken the time to read this thread (ok ok, only your posts)

but i must say, this is looking unbelievable.... i remember seeing your thread in the beginning stages and the plans looked great, never thought you would be able to execute them so professionally!!! GREAT JOB!!!! (seriously)

i will be watching closely from now on.

16. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

Heitäppä oikein kunnon viimeistelyt! :thumb: :thumb:

You had thread on Murobbs too :D

17. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Where'd you get that foam stuff and what's it called? Sticky foam? Think you could hold a mobo up with that? Thnx and btw, nice progress. :)

18. Jesterjedi

Jesterjedi What's a Dremel?

all i can say is i gotta get me some of the uv green perspex

19. autocan

autocan What's a Dremel?

Good job :eeek:

20. tmerelin

The foam is actually from another mobo-package. :D :thumb:

There's no stickiness other than the "soldering residues"(?!) on the other side of the boards that cling on to the foam. Reeaally ghetto... :rock: You just have to be innovative and find out other uses to all the excess stuff lying around.

I think any foam with small enough pores will do. I think it can hold the mobo horizontally also, but definately not vertically :D