1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Harddrive problems

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sk8ero, 10 Jun 2004.

1. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

Hi

about 6 months ago a wrongly wired molex plug took the life of my 60gig seagate barracuda, the 5v and 12v got switched by accident. On the controller board i found a burnt out IC looking part, with a burn across about a quatrer of it, i can read the top of it and it has the number 2P102 writen on it, it has 8 pins and is pretty small. Wud it be possible to track one of these down? what wud it be used for on the harddrive? the second line begins with 21 but the rest is burnt. Any help wud be appreciated.

Thnx

2. OrbDemon

OrbDemon Minimodder

tbh its probably not worth it - it will probably be a surface mount chip which will be a bugger to solder, and its possible that other components and/or tracks are also damaged.

3. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

soldering it on wud be no problem, its just big enough to soler on with some skill, i managed to desolder it quite easily and remember its only got 8 pins. All the tracks are still intact. I have finished some googling and found this http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MMDFS2P102-D.PDF The part appears to be a power MOSFET, so im guessing the extra voltage going into it fried it, it doesnt seem to be a controller chip. How wud i go about tracking one of these down, or by looking at the data sheet wud i be able to find something similar to do the job, im positive if i replace this it will work.

Thnx

*EDIT*
    Looking at the data sheet and the fried mosfet, it appears to be where pin number 3 is, which is the source, so im guessing the source was to high and killed it before reaching anything else, which makes me continue to beleive it can be solved

4. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

anyone?

just coz ORAC is out doesnt mean u have to abbandon the otehr forums.

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

As the datasheet says, it's a logic-level MOSFET, 2A continuous rating, in a SO-8 package, so check your Aussie suppliers for one. With nothing to lose you could try something similar.

6. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I had a similar experience a little while ago, I found an exact repacement for the PCB. The problem is that the surge seemes to have damaged the heads. While I don't want to say give up, I do want to say that you may have more problems that just that part.

7. mleon

mleon What's a Dremel?

2P102 2227 barracuda ATA IV

3 weeks ago I was a same problem with Barracuda ATA IV made from Singapore. My 8 pins CI is burned too but I can read on it this reference : 2P102 - 2227
    I dont realy sure than thats enouph to replace it to retrieve right fonctions of the PCB. :search: :search:
    So I'm looking for buying the non famous CI, if anybody can help us, realy thanks in advance... :duh: :wallbash:
    Special thanks to sk8ero :thumb: :clap: