1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors insurance for a driving n00b.

Discussion in 'General' started by Piratetaco, 15 May 2004.

1. Trickle

Trickle What's a Dremel?

Get some quotes for 6 months on it.

After you pass your test, insurance drops. If you pass pluss then the quotes will drop like a brick compaired to your provisional licence quotes so it wont be worth looking at full years quotes imho, especially if you are looking at that micra.

In comon sense terms you are probably not going to be able to beat that micra for £200. However seeing as running a car costs so much, you are probably better of going the extra mile and spending a little more. Certainly think about it. I wouldnt buy the micra until you have passed.

I bought a £300 banger (that I'm about to sell after running it ok for a year). At the time I didnt want to get a loan out and wasnt to fussed about motoring in general and bought it off a mate simply because I had some train jurneys coming up which would have to fork out anyway. However it didnt take too long before I wished I'ed have spent a little more, which is why its now going after a year.

2. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i'm getting a £200 quid micra next week:crosses fingers: CD player,road tax till next year,MOT'd till next may and only 37k.i reckon i willl have passed me test by October.

3. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

After u passed ure test ure insurance will not drop, infact its more likely to rise as ure still classed a new driver, yet ure allowed to drive on ure own where as with a provisional u were ALWAYS ( i hope ) accompanied by someone over 21 at least! However pass plass will drop ure insurance like a brick, saying that, u gotta work out the best route?

On the car i drive my mum is the first named driver ( its her car but hey ) and im a named driver aswell. Passplus does not affect insurance costs if ure in this situation on 90% of insurance policies. Anyway, looking at getting myself a vauxhall calibra 2l sometime soon... thats gonna be fun for insurance!

Proph.

4. micb

micb Minimodder

No, not often the case.

Provisional drivers nearly always have more expencive insurance preiums than Full liecence holders.

I recently spoke to my broker about this as my brother has a provisional lienence and they told me once he passes his test tell them because they will reimburse me some of the the extra I paid to put him on my insurance policy.

5. Piratetaco

its true.i got quoted £1500 for my a micra.the insurance company told me that when i passed my test this would drop to about £800 quid.

6. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Maybe on the way my insurance is set out then ( 2nd driver on my moms car ) was the reason it didnt drop so much.. It was fairly cheap in the first place anyway, and muchos cheaper then buying me a whole new car, however did treble the insurance price for having just her!

7. Piratetaco

i'm lucky. i knew(still do) someone that was selling their car(because they were buying a new one)so i just asked them to name their price.plus norwich union do some cheap fully comp insurance.

Tags: