1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different Overheating Problem

Discussion in 'General' started by monkeyville, 10 Jun 2004.

1. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Now before i get flamed for putting this in the wrong forum read the whole thing.

Since its soooo bloody hot recently i decided in the best interests of my computer and especially the processor which was getting into the high 60's to take the side of the case off and whack as many fans as possiable onto everything ,(its like sitting in a wind tunnel now), and open some windows to get a draught going.

Everything was fine until it turned dark when the killer moths attacked. As every wannabe modder has nowdays, i also have many case lights which attracted the moths and hundreds of the buggers have flown into my open case and been devoured by the processor fan. It was very funny at first watching them get chewed up but then it all went wrong. Theres sooo many of them that they started to clog up the processor fan and stopped it spinning well below its usual speed which meant all hell broke lose and the pc shut down. Its taken me ages to take the fan off and clean all the bits out so let this be a lesson to you all.

Make sure your moth protected :thumb:

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

do what I do... (it seems we live in the moth capital here in notts doesn't it.) is duct tape up some fine-ish mesh to my open window crack... stops most things getting in... bloody gnats tho... gonna have to like get some fine lace of something... or set up a bug zapper!

3. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

HAHAHAHA - you poor suckers don't have fly screens :hehe:

4. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

thats because we don't have a problem with flies :rolleyes:

5. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Neither do we, they're really for the mosquitoes!

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

haha funny story that lol.

We dont really have a problem with mossies here either. They are about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the US ones and you only get around 10% of the total number of them over here. However, they are still blooming annoying. Especially those crane flies bumping into your face while you try to sleep. Last time i was in the states i bought a roll of fly screen and i need to make a way of fixing them infront of the openings now.

7. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

I have never lived in a house without them but its cause you need them either suffocate and die or get bitten to death thier are little other alteratives imo.

8. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

You could always replace one of the lights in your case with a modded insect-icuter :hehe:

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I have an overheating problem too.

The other day my CPU temps touched 80deg C. It's always been pretty high. I've tried 3 different heatsinks, lapping and AS3. I have two case fans front and back etc. but still when the PC's under load it can get pretty damn high.

The case side now remains permenantly off, and the windows permenantly open. It's a cold day today so the idle temp is only 62 at the moment. Still this recent hot weather can get quite worrying.

10. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

replace the lights in your case with a bug zapper. you get a pretty blue glow (with the occasional spark from the zap), and no more bugs!

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Fly screens -> :thumb:

12. monkeyville

I think i'm just gonna put a mesh over the side of the case to stop em getting in. Woke up this morning and looked behind the case and (where the 120mm fan blows air out) and theres loads of moth bits all over my wall.:D I managed to get a small video last night but after i looked at it this morning you can't really see anything going on as the lighting was really bad and the movie mode on my cameras awful. Especially at the rate that those things fly about :hehe:

13. Jesterjedi

Jesterjedi What's a Dremel?

i have a bit of a fly prblem in here at the mo cause i sweating so much the smell is attracting the fly's well either that or my dog keeps farting. (i think its the dog)

14. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

i reckon you shoudl get a light from a bug zapper and some moders mesh. check it conducts electric. and hook it upto a CCFL inverter. and surround the bug light with it :D toasty.

only prob is electrucuted moth smells nasty. and the bug zappers at work use some uber high DC current.

15. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i've got a different problem at the moment.a dragonfly few too close to the fan on my case.but its got stopped my the mesh.now its stood up 'glued' to the mesh.

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Get a picture. I demand a picture. :p

17. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

its gone now. although where or how i don't know.

18. monkeyville

bit of a thread revival but i another bug has bitten the dust except this time it was the radeon pro's fan that killed the bugger and this time i got a pic. :D

[​IMG]

Anybody any idea what the hell that thing is???

19. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Dead.

I've been playing around with the idea of making screen windows for my room, I'm not a big bug fan so I tend to leave the window shut whenever possible, and we have to shut the windows after dark in the summer otherwise all the moths/flies/mozzies get in. And it's too hot not to have windows open...why does nobody in this godforsaken country see the need for screens?! :rolleyes:

20. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

bit of old net curtain works wonders....
    Find meself sat in the semi dark though now, can leave the window open and dont get a massive number of flies etc in....