1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Halo 2 mod box. UPDATE on 6/26

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blurredvision, 12 Jun 2004.

1. DigitalX

DigitalX What's a Dremel?

2. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

Halo 2 rocks! And Metallica too!

DON'T put RED led in there. It must be green! Green is Halos colour!

3. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

nice

Will look great once it's painted....make sure you get all those stickers & the gunk off of there or your paint job will look like major doo doo!!! :D

4. morotsmos

morotsmos What's a Dremel?

Blue is the halo color (just look at the menu)... Green is the XBOX color! :p

5. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

uber :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. Nevex

Nevex What's a Dremel?

Is it me or is that Halo 2 logo upside down? Vents on panels are usually at the bottom, making the logo upside down.

7. blurredvision

blurredvision What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone would notice :D. Let me explain.

Originally, the panel with the vents was on the left side of the case, and the vents ran along the bottom of the panel. I originally wanted just the logo cut out on both sides, so I figured I would move the vent panel to the right side, as that side is the most overlooked on any case. The original right panel had no vents. Well, after deciding all this, I changed my mind and went with a window on the left side. But I didn't think that I could use the original panels the way they were, and would've been able to completely get rid of the vents, because with the window cutout, they would've been gone.

But, the vents are here to stay now, unless I think of something cool to put there, but it's improbable.

The Halo 2 logo will be straight up on the right side of the case when get everything put on :).

8. blurredvision

Here's an update to some work I did today on the case.

My first attempt at a quality dremel cut on the outside of my case. Didn't turn out too bad at all. This is the inside of the top of the case.
    [​IMG]

The same cut, but on the outside top of the case.
    [​IMG]

The same cut up close on the outside. The lines are a bit curvy, but I hope to remedy that some tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Here is the hole I cut in the bottom of the front bezel. I'm relocating the power supply to the front of the case, and will have a small window (with a 60mm fan blowing out) to look into the power supply, and will maybe light it up with a couple of leds. The power supply in the picture is just an old 150W that I'm using for size testing.
    [​IMG]

A closer pic of the hole/window. This also isn't too straight of a box, but I hope to get a file working on it tomorrow as well.
    [​IMG]

This is a pic with the front bezel on the frame, just to see if my two holes line up for me to place the power supply in. It actually fit pretty snug.
    [​IMG]

The same pic, but from behind. I plan on keeping the power supply enclosed, only cutting out the one side so you can see inside of it from the window on the front. I will route the power cord through the case and out the back, so I'll lose about 14" from the length.
    [​IMG]

More updates in a couple of days. Tomorrow, I hope to accomplish squaring up my holes a bit, then sanding down the entire case to get ready for a coat of primer. I've decided to stick to a simple paint job, and have chosen an Impact Blue Pearl from the Advance Auto Parts store next to where I work. I figure the blue will fit in good with the Halo 2 theme.

Stay tuned......

9. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

not too bad now just arrenge a meeting for the case and "Mr. sandpaper" :D

10. blurredvision

Small update for today. I managed to sand down all the parts with 400 grit today, and primered them with some Krylon spray primer. Tomorrow, I will sand everything again with 600, then primer again, and maybe if I have time left on my lunch break, sand again with 1000 and prime again. Then Thursday I'll be ready to paint.

Just to see how the paint I chose is going to look, I took the scrap metal that was cut out for the window, sanded just a corner of it with 400, then primed, coated with one coat paint, quick sanded with 600, then another light coat of paint, and here is what I got. Sorry for the blurry pic :(.

NOTE: This PIC is of scrap material!!!
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of where I sanded. Interestingly, you can definitely tell a difference of where I sanded and where I didn't. The feel of it is also a major difference, but obviously I can't convey that with just pics :D.

NOTE: This PIC is of scrap material!!!
    [​IMG]

I'll update in a couple more days when I get my first coat of paint on.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2004
  11. Spy246

Spy246 What's a Dremel?

looks nice y don't u sand the cutout out. It looks great but could look alot better. your doing great :thumb:

12. blurredvision

The pictures you see of what I painted is just scrap. That piece is what I've cut out for the window, and I also used this scrap piece for my Halo 2 logo. The side pieces I will be using HAVE been sanded down, and all the rough edges filed away and smoothed. It's just that I have no pictures yet after I've done some extensive filing.

13. blurredvision

Hey fellas. Here's a pretty decent update for ya. I've got my paint job pretty much done. As in previous pictures, you'll see that I've chosen Dupli-Color's Impact Blue Pearl as my case color. The primer I used was simple Krylon white primer.

In this first pic, I've got everything laid out. At this point, all the parts have had a wetsand with 400, and their first coat of primer. As you can see, I've got my slightly soapy water and sanding block with 600 grit ready and willing for another coat of primer.
    [​IMG]

Just another pic before the second primer.
    [​IMG]

I didn't take a pic of the primered parts, and went straight to a pic of the painting afterwards. Here is all the parts painted with the initial coat on. Yes, it looks a little uneven in parts, but this is how I wanted it to look, with the color stronger in places that in others. Later on, I'll tone this down a bit with a second coat of paint.
    [​IMG]

A close up pic of the first coat on the mobo side panel.
    [​IMG]

A close up of the front bezel. It doesn't look like the best sanding job, but it was plastic, and I just don't have enough experience sanding plastic.
    [​IMG]

Here is the top of the case. A lot better work on the steel.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Halo 2 logo for the side window.
    [​IMG]

The side window panel (what there is of it). Not the best initial coat, but the second coat did it much better, I promise.
    [​IMG]

Just a close up of the paint color and the decent sanding job.
    [​IMG]

A close up of the power and reset button recesses on the front bezel.
    [​IMG]

The power button lodged into a place in the wood so it would stand upright to be painted. My brother actually suggested repainting the power and reset buttons in chrome, and I'm considering it.
    [​IMG]

And lastly, a pic of the mobo side panel. That logo will be covered up with a frosted acrylic, then lit from behind with a few leds to give it a glow.
    [​IMG]

I will update when I have some more. Someone comment on this so I'll know I have the approval of everyone! :D :D

14. JungleGorilla

JungleGorilla What's a Dremel?

The work done so far is just :jawdrop:

15. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

The paint job looks really nice. I have that same case, but I'm only using the frame and drive cages out of it, for an upcoming mod.

16. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Looking great :) love the cutouts!

:rock:

17. hercule

hercule What's a Dremel?

that impact blue pearl look awesome!

just a quick question, does the blue on the plastic come out as a different colour from the blue on the steel, or are they the same?

this mod's looking great so far. :)

18. Mr. Beta

Mr. Beta Minimodder

I like it and the theme. Hope to see some updates soon.
    Can't wait to see it finished. :thumb:

19. WaZzUp115

WaZzUp115 What's a Dremel?

omg! that color is awesome and the halo 2 logo rocks! :rock:

20. Alienhead

Alienhead What's a Dremel?

Hey dude, good job so far. I like the Halo symbol that is gunna go on the window. Keep up the good work! :thumb: :thumb: