1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics NEED help with a green thing that looks like a resistor

Discussion in 'Modding' started by malodin, 12 Jun 2004.

1. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

hello all i have a little green thing about 1/4 inch or smaller in length its a solid colored thing and on it i see a lf5a and what looks like a triangle with a t in it then next to that it says 5a....it is cracked and i dont know where to begin to find another one or what it is truly called? also does anyone maybe know what cause it to crack? im imagining someone hooked up more than 12 volts dc to the powersupply.....by the way its off of the powerboard on a 15 proview lcd monitor
    thnx guys

oh and on the board there is a squigle line basically a backwards s with strait lines inline with where it goes to
    basically like this -~-

Last edited: 12 Jun 2004
  2. tapius

tapius What's a Dremel?

if you could provide an image that would be GREAT, im sure there must be 1000 people in this forum who could answer your question, i just need a picture - it sounds like me to a relay, i've seen cylindrical relays before that look kinda like what you described

3. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

id love to provied an image but it says i am unable to upload attachments

4. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

That's a SMD fuse.
    They're hard to find, so just remove the fuse and replace it with a regular fuse (of the same ratings).

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Definitely a fuse, but if it's got leads like a resistor and lf5a on it, it's maybe a 5A Littelfuse. ;)

6. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

I think cpemma found it for you.

One problem though: In all of my experiences when fixing electronics, just replacing the fuse or resistor that burned out will not fix whats wrong. This is normally a sign that something else caused it to burn out.

Make sure you get more than one fuse. What may end up happening is that once you replace the fuse, the new one will also burn out. Now you'll have to find what is causing it to burn out and your still without a fuse. Get at least 2 so you dont have to order twice.

7. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

There have been times where the fuse fails by itself.
    This, combined with a novice technician replacing the blown slow-blow fuse with a regular one, makes for a very interesting story.
    A little more than a year ago, at a private group meeting, an old PC came in for repair (which wouldn't turn on).
    Kevin (who never worked a SMPS before) offered to fix it.
    He went ahead, and a few minutes later, he took the SMPS out of the PC, then proceeded to open it.
    He first saw a blown fuse (he said, "Oh, yeah, just a blown fuse."), which was a 5A slow-blow. He then replaced it with a regular 5A, only to find that the new fuse blew when he connected the power.
    The really funny part came when he took the board out, then proceeded to probe it with a cheap meter.
    POP! :eeek: :eeek:
    The meter was destroyed, and the probes had a good chunk blown out of them.
    He gave up, not wanting to get hurt.
    Christina Mahoney (the SMPS expert) then took a christmas tree bulb out of her purse, and safely discharged the big capacitors with it (the bulb lit up quite brightly for a few seconds).
    Then she replaced the fuse with a proper 5A slow-blow, and the SMPS worked on the first try!
    The PC was put back together, and it booted up fine!
    Kevin got laughed at for getting beaten (or should I say outsmarted) by a girl. :hehe: :hehe:

BTW, a common trick for repair is to use a bench PSU with an adjustable current limit, and set the current just below the fuse rating (4.8A for a 5A fuse). No blown fuses!

8. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

ok guys you are gods...thats what it was doesnt look like a fuse but it was a fuse....but what it did is its the power board for the soundcard in the built in speakers....and the power to the monitor goes through that...so what i did is i hooked up the plug to the monitor...basically bypassing the soundcard(they are the exact same conections)its a strait through power supply once it gets past the fuse....no i got the monitors light to turn on and the led goes green and the screen is bright but not image is displayed....(probably what cause the fuse to go)(i think somone might have hooked up more than 12v to it) and after a few seconds the led will switch to amber and the screen will go off. then it starts slowly flashing on/off
    any ideas?

im using 12v car battery that should be enough of an amperage for the monitor right. its running through a 7 amp fuse.
    and on the monitor board imediately after the power there is another green fuse

9. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

Pictures would be very useful here. Try uploadit.org. Get a free account and then upload the pictures to there and post links. An obvious question first but just to get it out of the way, is there an image source (like a computer or TV) hooked up to the monitor? It sounds like the monitor is going into a power save mode because there is nothing to display. If you do have an image source hooked up to it, check to make sure it is connected properly (not to the sound board that is not working).

10. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

ya 2 different vid sources....ill go get that acct....also there is no menu when u press the menu button
    thnx

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

No magic, the -~- gives it away, it's (near enough) the standard circuit symbol for a fuse. ;)

12. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

ya ive seen the symbol before but never knew what it meant
    and i did a search for lf5a and nothing just a bunch of weird sites about operations and stuff
    i do appreciate alll your guyzes help

13. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

so what kinda fuse do you sugest i put in it? glass fuse or blade style or something? can i put any 5a fuse in?

14. malodin

malodin What's a Dremel?

ok i got the pictures of the display

i got the pix of the display on plugged into a vid source, pic with it off, pick of the led when the display is on the led is green then when off it is amber...just like my other lcd....when i change anything on the desktop the screen flickers as if its changing but nothing is output to the monitor http://home.earthlink.net/~malodin/
    this is the website the pix are on please look, and tell me what u think
    alex