1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Orac³ - Part 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jun 2004.

1. Jonas79

Jonas79 What's a Dremel?

Great job and stunning quality :thumb: I like the way the cables turned out.

Not trying to degrade your work or anything, but I find one small deatail a little disturbing :worried: The mobo is easily spotted from the right side of the case if you look below the PSU. I know it's not a big deal, but with all the work you have spent hiding EVERYTHING, it feels out of place. It really just needs a sheet of something (the mesh you used for the front fan and the RAM maybe? :idea: ) hiding the mobo :) I know you will have to take the whole thing apart to do this and that you probably don't feel like modding the ORAC3 anymore, but comparing to the amount of work you've spent on it so far, I think it deserves it :cooldude:

Love your work :D mod on :dremel:

2. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

w00t dude..haha you finally did it. Welll must say does look the buts or as some people say teh dogs pfft;)

well....damn sweet..little packed in here heh:p

good job mate.

3. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

Most Excellent!

One question though... Do you have to use a forklift to move that thing around? It has to have the mass of a rhino! All that chrome and metal and not to mention the water sloshing around in there. Can't imagine you moving it very often or taking it out on the town.

Again excellent work.

4. Carbon

Carbon Banned

I agree with r-gator, it must weigh alot but i dont suppose you'll move it too much. Also what about the initial temps?

Its a great mod, truley a unique case which there will be many many copies im sure of it, but only one will be the original. In my personal opinion the 'stealthing' of the motherboard and the addon cards is genius! the best part of the whole mod.

I had started to lose hope in actually seeing this case completed and wasnt sure if something might of happened to you, but obviously your ok and the case is finito! hurrah :D

time for you to get out the cubans i think :hip:

/me hands G-gnome a cigar

:thumb:

5. Chief752

Chief752 What's a Dremel?

As with everyone else that's been admiring your work so lovingly, I just wanted to add my congratulations and admiration to you on completing such a detailed and beautiful mod. :thumb: :jawdrop:

I, however, do have one question. Do you plan to do anything to hide the top of the motherboard that you can see from the top on the right side view (as shown in this picture)?

[​IMG]

6. TMM

TMM Modder

OMFG! Impressive stuff there G-gnome!.

not my cup of tea, a bit busy looking :). but still very impressive none the less :eeek:

any chance of seeing this at a lan in Melbourne? :D (or are you in QLD? i forget since you changed your location to 1s and 0s.

7. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Is it too cheesy to use someone else's computer mod as a desktop background?

Amazing job gnome. Tell the Mrs. we appreciate her patience and understanding as I'm sure you have transformed your house to suite the mod even more than simply stealing the broomhandles and sheets.

8. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

Absolutely stunning :jawdrop:

I'm at a loss for words.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

9. diode

diode What's a Dremel?

WOW! I must say this is a beautiful finish to the orac project. I'm simply stunned with the creativity and ingenuity involved in this mod. Excellent work there G-gnome. Can't wait to see your next project.

One question.... Have you, or are you going to mod the motherboard blanking plate on the back of orac? The one picture you showed while talking about the rear fan showed the stock blanking plate. In one of your earlier updates, you removed the monitor outputs because of the video card, so now there are holes present. Have you modded this and forgotten to post the pic or is it still "stock"?

I must say it again... excellent job.

10. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

OMFG :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: G-Gnome the work you ve done on this is absolutely astonishing :eeek:

Ones in my neigbourhood says that it is really excellent modding performance but that they don't really like the charged wires look... but to my mind you gave birth to the BEST MOD I EVER SEEN !!!

consider that it is your first MOD, I do not hide my impatience to discover the next one :)

I don't know what to say more... you rocks man :thumb:

11. atv_freak

atv_freak What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Wow! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    Great job! :clap:

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Stunning mate- very nice indeed! I spent lunchtime going to all the IT rooms to try and get on a pc to look at this! I wasn't dissappointed. Thought it was cluttered at first, but my arrogance soon changed to appreciation of the complexity and quality of the pc. Can't wait for 'real-world' photos :D.

PS- did you want me to pay by Paypal or Nochex? I'll pay for P+P.

13. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

I saved the whole article to my disk when I checked it out this morning, I am fairly suprised the site held up so well actually. Then again, slashdot hasnt posted yet has it?

Good luck hehe :D

I have an 8.68 mb self extracting RAR ready to be put on my server if the need arises! :D

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Dear God... That is the most incredible computer I have ever seen! :rock: I knew that this PC was going to be special in its own right. I was however, worried that this case wouldnt have the same majesty that it had when the first articles were released; I am quite happy to say I was wrong :D This case blew my mind away! :jawdrop: Thinking that this is your first mod is a truly mind blowing concept! I do have a few quips (Im so anal :p) This case in my opinion would look better with some more green perspex behind the motherboard tray; I dont know how shiny it is, but compared with the mish mosh of cables throughout the case, and all of its gorgeous design, it seems almost empty. Now, as for the top of the enclosure, PUT SOMETHING UP THERE! That architect's mesh would allow for the components to still breathe, but it would also hide those cables. Congratulations on a spectacular work of art, G-gnome! Now sell it on ebay and become rich :D

15. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

G-gnome you are a very talented man and have built a great case

I dont know what to think relly. One side of me sees the great attention to detail, the great workmenship, the professional apperance, good asthetics etc etc.

The other side of me just says 'So whats the point in all that then?'

slater..

(build something more functional next time) :)

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Does it need to have a point? :)

That is one outstanding mod... I won't bore you by going into hyperbole or saying what everyone else has already said plenty (I think people sorta like it... :) ). It is a perfect realisation of an original concept. Great going, wee man! :rock:

What I like most, besides its pictures travelling around the world and making modders everywhere sit up and talk to each other, and it having raised attention to modding in the "outside" world, is that it has definitely raised the bar of modding everywhere (not to mention, of photography of the same!).

I certainly have started to tweak my ideas and designs, and started to push things a bit further. It has encouraged us to, well, just try a little more, and go a little further. In that regard, it has proved an inspiration.

So mod on, l33t master! I'm impressed. And I'm not easily impressed.

Just for the record, I would like to mention that Scopedog deserves credit for discovering the Pi-Thon hoseclamps and showing me first. Ideas for the hose separators, however, are indeed mine, all mine! :D

17. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Well, the case looks really impressive, but there are to many wires ^^
    I would prefer it to look at the hardware and not at wires :hehe:

But you did a very great job :thumb:

18. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Errmm... Think about that for a second. Its a computer case. Its function is to contain a computer. With facilities for switching it on and off...and maybe some added cooling.

Those criteria in hand....I think it performs its desired function perfectly. What else is it sposed to do..fly ?

19. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

★★★★★

Last edited: 14 Jun 2004
  20. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

G-gnome, wow. Absolutely wow. The wait was 100% worth it!!! I love the detailing, and the motherboard cover is stunning. Plus, the pic from the side showing the completed case looks like a swarm of sentinels from Matrix with all the silve5r cabling. I love it. I'am about halfway through reading the article now, but I couldn't help posting. I love the cylinder with the logo. I love it all. :rock: :hip: :jawdrop: :clap:

*dances a jig for G-gnome

Tags: Add Tags