1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cold cathodes @ maplin?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ciipher, 27 Mar 2002.

1. ciipher

ciipher What's a Dremel?

Have seen a lot of people getting cold cathodes from Maplin, but when I enter the stock code on the site it comes up as Discontinued - what gives?!

2. benje

benje Minimodder

Last time I went into my local maplins ( last saturday ) they were selling single cold cathode tubes for £4.99 each, they had loads of em but unfortunatly none in blooo :/
    You will prolly have to have a look in the depths of the electronics section where th [H]ardc0re geeks hang oot but its worth the find :)

3. ciipher

ciipher What's a Dremel?

No local Maplins unfortunately :miffed:

So surely some people on here are ordering online, whats the secret!!!!

4. ChriX

ChriX ^

Yeah, you gotta go to a store now :( I got my current ones in the post ages ago when they were first discovered at mappers. Now I need more and the nearest store is like 1.5hrs away :(

5. FeebleUK

FeebleUK What's a Dremel?

Gah, in my local maplins they have one or two, they are all orange though :cries:

6. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

order them online!

mine got here fine, and dandy... :D

7. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

OI, there can only be one __CyPHeR__

how dare you impersonate me

GRRRRR

8. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

Just ask the dopey ppl in maplin to order the colours you want from their warehouse. They have the technology! they can order them.

I got em to bring in 2 blue CCs for me only took 2 days! Picked em up this morning.

Blue ahh, burnt my retena's stairing at them! Hypnotic??

ride

9. FeebleUK

FeebleUK What's a Dremel?

How much are the blue ones? are they small or pretty long?

10. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

they're pretty long

mine came in this protective tube, which i cut to fit the wires, and mounted em in that ;), and the PSU box, i cut the lid off, taped it together and then wrapped it in an anti-static bag and just sellotaped to side ;) everythings fine... good old mappers :D

11. therider

Do you reply to the forum idiot??

The 12 inch Cold cathodes are suprisingly 12 inches :D

FL@MeS: Mate be carefull if your using a metalic anti-static bag. The legs of PCB can pierce it! :eeek: I recommend Maplin code FK73Q nice little project box ideal for two inverters.

You used the CC packaging as a protective case! Thats my idea. :D

Did you drill ventilation holes along it? And use tin foil as a reflective backing?

CC mod work in progress

ride

12. davidtan

davidtan What's a Dremel?

before I buy one, where can I find a guide on how to wire the Cathodes PSU to a molex connector?

13. therider

Molex connector...

Red Black Black Yellow
    +5v -5v -12v +12v

Plugs are in maplin JW64U Male molex with pins

The cathodes are pre wired to a plug which fits the inverter. The inverter comes with a wire with un-terminated ends, solder/crimp these to the molex plug it is easy I assure you!

rider

14. FL@MeS

FL@MeS What's a Dremel?

i only used one common 0v throughout my hole case... lol ;) and it runs fine...

the end that connects to the power had no end, so just cut the wires from the molex (female), and the wire black to black and red to yellow (thats from the PSU)... for housing the ones from mappers i cut the lid off the box and then sellotaped it 2gether, next i put the PSU in the box, but some antistatic bag to fit around it and taped it to the side, no probs ;)

hope this helped

15. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

Concerning the CCFLs at Maplins, Yes they are still current (most colours anyway) but no you can't get them from the website because they're notoriously brittle (see here to get an idea and to also see mine on fire :eeek: )

Unfortunately you'll have to take a trip to your local store to get one. I'd reccommend you give them a call before hand and make sure that;
    A) They have them in stock.
    B) They are in one piece (I recently retrieved a yellow CCFL from the store room only to find a tube full of dust and two wires hanging out either end :eyebrow:)
    C)Make sure they have the inverters!!

.. and if they don't? Request them to be specially ordered for you:baby:

Hope that clears up some queries...

Oh and therider...
    Thats not a very nice comment..

You'll find that the majority of Maplins technical assistants have an underlying interest in the products they sell;
    I certainly am no dope and I can safely say none of my colleagues are either (even our cashier knows Ohms Law :D) I've yet to come across an establishment that will take the time to stand there and explain to you the pros and cons of component Xi against component Y for a £0.79 sale :rolleyes:
    A far cry from the retail robots in your average PcWorld, Dixons, Currys, etc etc

Ok thats my Maploid rant over with now :D

=======
    Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.
    Chinese Proverb

Last edited: 29 Mar 2002
  16. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Ahem...Not very nice at all

/me hovers his hand over the big red button...

17. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

The omnipresent MrFly always there to step in :D

Push it fly, PUSH IT :p

18. ChenZen

ChenZen Minimodder

i wouldnt say they are dopey at maplins, i'd say they are lazy , very LAZY, when i was gettin my cathodes i was there with them arguing that vellemens told me that they still supply maplin with cathodes, it took 10 mins of discussion b4 i asked for the manager, all he done was check which stores in uk had them, and then got them sent from that store to my local store (Nottingham) ... hey presto one week later i got 4 blooo and 2 black !!!!

just make sure u dont get a lazy fat assistant, get a nice energetic assistant full of zeal <-- i know its only a fantasy, never will happen

19. ChenZen

ChenZen Minimodder

another thing, dont u ppl ever read other threads b4 begining a new one, THIS ONE has been done like 4-5 times in the past month. SORT IT OUT LINEAR !!!! hehe

happy moddin.

20. Randland

Randland What's a Dremel?

Cummon you guys, do you want this forum to end up like [H] forums. Stop flaming people. I swear I was just in a post that was all about how nice we all were and stuff, but this doesn't prove it.

By the way, just to let every one know that I am a newbie that has never been to a Mapplins store, as I live in the good old US of A. But if my suspicions are correct they are just like Radio Shack. Trust me, RS has their share of lazy/stupid/sleazy employees, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are all like that, just as I would assume Mapplins has some less than shining personalities working for them. Still just the fact that there are several Very active, Very knowledgeable, and Very helpful people in this forum that work for Mapplins, you should know that they aren't all as bad as you would like to belive. Please don't judge.

:sigh: Sorry, I guess I am now flaming flamers so I will just go now.:)