1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Cooling the 9800 pro card !!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bamze, 18 Jun 2004.

1. Bamze

Bamze What's a Dremel?

I'm back with a new thread !
    I hope that moderators won't mind that because this one has no connection with my latest one

so, I have the gigabyte 9800 pro 128mb/256 bits and I wish to apply an additional heatsink on the back of the card
    the only problem is that I don't know if I can damage the card (what I want to say is that on the front side it's easy to install because the heatsink can be glued on the core itself - that black thing under the cooler - but that black thing doesn't exist on the rear side of the card, so is it safe to glue the heatsink directly on the circuits of the card ???)
    I hope that you understood what my poor english wants to say...:))

after telling me if this operation is safe, please tell me if it's necessary to apply some heatsink siliconic compound on the back side of the card too, or using only glue would do just fine ??
    and by-the-way, what kind of glue should I use (anykind is good?)??

thanks again for your help and waiting for some advices !!!

2. pzr

pzr Banned

glue isn't a TIM and most is water based, therfore will short your card out, putting any sort of heatsink on the back of card will short it out, only thing you would be safe putting on the back is ram heat sinks, (the long black things :p ) but they will only get u about a 3mhz extra clock on the ram

im guessing u want to glue a heatsink on the opposite side of card where the core is, just pointless tbh,,,, it doesn't even get that hot, will short your card out, if u want to cool the back of the card, just have a fan blowing on it

3. Bamze

Bamze What's a Dremel?

from this pictures I understand that it's very important that the heatsink mounted on the back side shouldn't touch the circuits

it seems that the heatsink stays at very short distance from the video card and it's kept this way by that steel pin that makes the connection between the heatsink from the front and the heatsink from the back

http://www.bit-tech.net/review/293/

check it out and tell me your opinion !

4. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

The heatsink on the back side in that example though has no connection to the rear of the card, the heatpipe carries heat from the frontside to the backside where the extra surface area is used to dissapate the heat.

5. Bamze

Bamze What's a Dremel?

aham, and how can I improvize a way to put a heatsink on the back side of the card without burning it?
    should I use a dielectrical paste to tight the heatsink over the circuits + some normal glue (bison, superglue, poxipol) ?
    do you think this might work or should I create a system like that one in those pictures ?

6. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Putting a heatsink on the back of the card is a bad idea, heatpipes are much more complex than you want to get into, and anything coming into contact with the pcb is gonna break your card.

7. Spy246

Spy246 What's a Dremel?

y don't you look into a zalman ZM80C-HP fanless heatsink. They work really good.

Tags: