1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOTR First Mod (Caran Rûn) [many updates]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hacker2B, 10 May 2004.

?

Project Name Caran Rûn

Poll closed 2 Jul 2004.
  1. Like

38 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. Dislike

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Hacker2B

Hacker2B What's a Dremel?

I just used a Dremel (Ultra Multispeed i think?) with a bit like this one. I put the reverse printed design underneath the plexi and, very slowly and carefully, lightly engraved above it.

Yeah, i think your right.

2. Hacker2B

Well, I'm leaving for Florida tommorow morning around 5:30 AM ugh! I'll try to keep posting and I might even buy some supplies online while I'm there so I have something to look forward to when I come home. I'm thinking of making a Glowpad and I might mod my cordless phone with some LEDs just for fun (the battery puts out 3.5 volts :naughty: ).

Switching to NetZero...Now!

3. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

Say Hi to Mickey for me

don't mod on vacation....the sand really messes up the paint!!! LOL :D
    have a safe trip....see ya when ya get back....will look up pete jacksons e-mail so you can sell your mod to him for 1000's

4. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

sorry :duh:

5. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

Hehe no problem mate ;)

6. Hacker2B

Yippeee!

I'm in Florida after a really long flight but everything went great. I've borrowed a wireless repeater and am now connected to somebody's DSL :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: It's clocked at 413.2 Kbps but goes in and out. Nothing new yet. Gotta get some sleep. Good to see the name ratings going up. :thumb:

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Others have said it, and so shall I...the top-window etching looks really great. The picture is a tad blurry, bt no so much that I can't see the quality of work. Out of curiosity, how long did that take?

I added my vote for the name to the "like" category. I think it fits very well.

Maybe its just a case of misinterpretation, but what you said above sounds suspiciously like "wardriving." I sure hope that by "somebody's DSL" you mean "somebody I know" and not "some stranger who doesn't know I'm using his connection." Remember, tapping into someone elses wireless connection without consent is against the law :nono:. Moreover, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, you are breaking a Federal law :worried:. I don't mean to sound like a grumpy old man, but I'd hate to see a fellow Bit-Tech member get hauled off to prison, leaving an unfinished mod behind. Especially when said mod is turning out so well!

-monkey

8. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Such altruism ;)

9. Hacker2B

My Uncle has wireless at his house. :D

I'm using netzero right now, I'm connected at 21.6 kbps ughh!

Isn't it only wardriving if you "drive" around searching for wirless networks? Does it count if you turn on your computer in the rental where you're staying adn it says "There are one or more wireless networks available" and it isn't encrypted, and they didn't change the router password from the default (like the manual said to in bold print), and they aren't using it??? Note: that's a, er... hypothetical situation. I heard about someone somewhere who had that happen.

10. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

dunno about in the US but here in the UK I don't think it is illegal, as long as the connection is unencrypted abd operating over public channels - correct me if i'm wrong...

11. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Nice job on that etch, looks cool, keep it coming.

12. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Coming out nicely!

13. DjmUK

DjmUK What's a Dremel?

Nice etching, I haven't read all the posts because I'm drawn to the pictures :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you're using a Dremel to etch that design, do does anyone know where I can get a "Glass Engraver Dremel Add-On Kit" for the UK..?

Thanks in advance.

14. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

That is looking sweet! Top fan grill idea is great
    good name too

Just a note on small Dremel bits ... read somewere about asking your Dentist for old bits ... small , have to be replaced often , probably has plenty he doesn't know what to do with
    DB

15. Stigma

Stigma Banned

How do you make an etch?

I was just wondering: How does one make an etch, like for instance the one this guy has done? :duh:

16. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Quote: Hacker2B ...
    "I just used a Dremel (Ultra Multispeed i think?) with a bit like this one. I put the reverse printed design underneath the plexi and, very slowly and carefully, lightly engraved above it."

He used a small bit , high speed , carefull , ( I bet with practice before starting on window )
    look at his post , count 15 up and click on his link ... "this" to see very small bit , has small teeth on ball at tip

DB

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Yep, that's me...always looking out for the fellow modder ;)

In that case, quit lallygaggin' around and get back to work on your case!

Seriously, though, This is shaping up to be one of the better LotR-inspired mods I've seen. I've never thought about asking a dentist for used bits. I wonder fi they would work very well after being used on so many teeth? One of my best friends is about to graduate from dental school; I wonder if he would have any laying around.

I just skimmed back over the thread and I was wondering if you came to any definite conclusion about the keyboard paint job? Or am I completely blind

-monkey

18. Stigma

Stigma Banned

How did you make this etch? Did you use a dremel or did you use UV light and chemicals and stuff?
    [​IMG]

19. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

:read:

Dont be lazy, he said what used only a little bit up from here. A dremel.

20. Hacker2B

Hello everybody!

It's been a long time but I do have a lot of updates for you. And pictures! So, where do I begin?

[​IMG]
    I bought some Cold Cathodes from Xoxide.com. And after getting the wrong color they sent the right one free of charge. Great company. Anyway, I now have a blue CCFL and nothing to use it on but hey, no complaints. You can see the red (for dragon) and white (for moria gate). The red is a bit pink so I've tried a permanent marker and I might paint it a little too.

[​IMG]
    I also got a gold paint pen and messed around with it a little. This was my practice of smaug, not the real thing.

[​IMG]
    I finally got my lazy self to get up and cut the final hole in the case so that I could paint it. The hole is on the other side, it's for the moria gate.

Speaking of moria gate, I'm almost finished etching it. I just have the big writing to do. I'll post a picture when I finish but i don't think I'll do it today.

[​IMG]
    The paint came out nice and glossy.

[​IMG]
    And I tried to get a picture of the ring script lit with the red cathode. A little wobbly but it kinda worked.

[​IMG]
    And here's my power supply hopefully draining its capasitors prior to painting. I think I'll paint it red. Does anyone have any tips on PSU safety? I've read to unplug it and try to turn it on and/or let it sit for over an hour. I also shorted the 12v and 5v after doing that.

I am now waiting for the caulking to dry on two of the three windows. Hopefully I can clean it up after it dries. My advice, don't try to use caulking if it your first time. It's really scary when you squish it all down and realise the window is in backwards. :wallbash:

Last edited: 3 Feb 2005