1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project F40

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by lamcdonald, 14 Mar 2004.

1. mcglen

mcglen What's a Dremel?

ok maybe i missed this bit but, what are you gonna be running on the tacho?? it would make a cool cpu fan speed guage, or is it just gonna be running at 8250 constant...??

oh yeah, i only know one famous aussie bloke, (steve irwin) and his words seem appropriate, (no not "jeez i think we made im a bit angry, time to back off",) but......

BEEYYYOOOTIFUL!!!!! :D :D :clap: :clap:

2. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate :D

Haven't decided yet on the tacho application. I may try to sync it with the gearchange sound, so it redlines when changing gears :D

I have heaps of pics to post, but I'll wait until I get my new host set up before I post all of them. (should be online by Tuesday hopefully)

In the meantime, a question:

[​IMG]

Would that look OK for a right-hand detail window? [the windows at the bottom] :confused: I'm trying to decide whether to do it that way or not... [edit2: Changed pic. I think it would look better with the F40 logo as well]

The LHS one will be a Ferrari badge/emblem of some sort. Or maybe just a dremel cutout of the horse :D

edit: Something like this...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Jun 2004
  3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

These..

are AMAZING!

:rock: :rock:

4. hercule

hercule What's a Dremel?

Im not too sure about that window for the right hand side. It just doesn't look right to me) Maybe it would look better if you only had the F40 logo. (but then again, thats my opinion... :worried: anyone else?)

And syncing the tacko with the gearstick would look awesome :thumb:

5. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Mmm, drop that design for the right side panel.... The car is not so realistic and to me it seems totally out of place. Keep the F40 logo if you want.

Just my opinion..

Good job up to now.

6. splinter_cell

splinter_cell What's a Dremel?

truly amazing.

*subscribed

7. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

hmm i'm waiting as to how the front will look when done but it's turning out great :)

imo the car on the sidepanel is kinda out of place mainly because of those holes on the side of the case.

keep on moddin :dremel:

8. lamcdonald

Thanks for the feedback :)

Yep, I'll keep the F40 logo and forget about the car windows. I've just spent half an hour cutting out the paper template for the horse window. The scissors were the old bare metal sort, and now my right middle finger is numb :waah:

I've got a pic of it, but can't upload because the stupid FTP server is dead AGAIN!! :miffed: This is like the 15th time this month (no joke!) Can't wait to move everything to my new host...

9. lunix_user

lunix_user What's a Dremel?

what os are you using?
    what provider?

FreeBSd for servers,
    linux for desktop
    :rock:

10. lamcdonald

Unfortunately it's not my server :( It's my ISPs 10MB hosting server. I'd set up my own server, but it's not allowed :(

11. Alienhead

Alienhead What's a Dremel?

What an absolutly bizzar mod. But I guess that is the idea behind what a mod is. I never thought of putting wheels on a case before. Putting larged anti grav thrusters to make it hover 3 inches off the ground, yes. But not wheels, (Plus anti grav thrusters are still a little pricy). I like how you made painted/etched (whatever) the car on the side cover to make it look like a tiny race car. And yes, I think the "F40" would make for a nice window, maybe a little bigger so you could see inside more.

12. ErrOnReq

ErrOnReq What's a Dremel?

I like the horse, but you already made your decision :p The F40 looks good as well though.

About the holes, are you going to fill those in or leave them as is?

13. lamcdonald

OK, it looks as if I was a bit unclear :D

I will be using BOTH: Horse window on the left panel, and F40 logo on the right (probably a vinyl sticker; cutting it as a window would be a bit tricky), without the car windows at the bottom :)

Unfortunately the holes are basically impossible to fill :( so they'll be staying. I thought about using bondo, but it would eventually crack/fall out, knowing my luck :blush:

14. ErrOnReq

Maybe I just misread your posts.

Have you thought about fiberglass?

15. lamcdonald

Just finished tracing the horse onto the panel. :)

[​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought about fibreglass. However, a couple of problems. Fibreglass is horrendously expensive around here :waah: Also, I'm allergic to bondo, and I've heard 'glass is worse :(

But anyway, I've resigned myself to the fact the holes will probably be staying.

By the way, here's a pic I forgot to post earlier.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/lamdesign/ProjectF40/Concept1_3.jpg

If I can find a way to keep the centre bits attached, I'll make it a window. Otherwise it will have to be a sticker. I want to avoid gluing metal bits onto the window if possible...

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

OI! Don't get carried away man! I've got a killer idea for both windows ;)

First, trace a large square on each side, medium hard rounded corners leaving about 1" of metal all arround (obviously going about a half inch above the bottom wheels, still keeping it square though). From there, just inlay a bit of dark tinted plexi. Then for the designs (keep the horse and the F40 bit as you've got it now), either get vinyl stickers, or etch them on ;) Then just put some luxeons or ccd's in there (umm, red? don't know, too tired to think. Hell, white would also work) so that when the computer's on, you can allmost see through the side windows. Do it man, you know you want to ;)

17. ErrOnReq

Allergic to Bondo? OUCH! Maybe duct tape will cover the holes :D

After the panel is done and painted, the holes probably won't even matter anyway.

Looking forward to see how the cuts come out :)

18. lamcdonald

Sorry Malfoleo, it's done already :blush:

Yeah I get dizzy just from the smell of bondo :/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the first time I've ever cut something so detailed :blush: I think it turned out OK IMO :D

I was expecting to take several hours and use all my remaining cutting disks, but it took approx 45 mins and I only used 5 disks! (non-reinforced) :cooldude: Somehow I managed to keep the centre in one piece too. :rock:

The steel in this case is extremely thin, weak and soft. Not good for durability, but makes it very easy to work on... :hehe:

Project Stats

Date: Sat 19 June 2004
    Cost to date: $230.35
    Working Time: 108hrs
    Dremel disks used: Approx 40
    Dremels killed: 0.98
    Parts discarded: 3
    Parts destroyed: 0
    Next: Finish horse window
    Looking for: Nothing at the moment...
    Next update expected: Mon 21 June 2004

19. y_N_e_M_a

y_N_e_M_a What's a Dremel?

sweet dremal skills :dremel: :thumb:

pity u couldnt have done an ozzie car though.....but ferarri is acceptable.

im looking forward to the finished case :D

20. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

Wow

You have completely outdone yourself this time! Cannot wait for you to be done so we can all take it for a spin! :D