1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux users :D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phil, 23 Oct 2001.

?

What flava of Linux do you prefer ?

1. Linux? pah that's for fools, I use BSD

12 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. I use various different distros

30 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Debian/GNU

23 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Slackware

27 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Redhat

37 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Suse

29 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Mandrake

37 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. smoothwall or another linux firewall system

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. I don't use Linux atm (but I've been planning to since I was 5)

28 vote(s)
    11.7%
  10. Ataraxia has Redhat Linux (urgh) on his machine but it crashes going into either KDE or Gnome and he

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  11. gentoo

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Joel

Joel What's a Dremel?

i use a mix of freeBSD/openBSD and slackware... as long as its not got m$ on it its ok

2. b_dyche

b_dyche What's a Dremel?

Mandrake 9.1... ;)

3. Scellica

Scellica What's a Dremel?

Knoppix Debian based

since this is the only version that really recognized all my hardware :D (and ofcourse hdd installed - not the stupid bootable disk thing :p )

4. bsd is hard to install.
    [​IMG]

5. digitalattrition

digitalattrition What's a Dremel?

gentoo 1.4 (stage 2 install), slack 9.1, and mandrake 9.2 are mainly what i use.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

naaaaaah it's not!!! :p

7. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

since i was feeling bored this afternoon i decided that i would create a partition on one of my drives and add a linux dual boot.

Installed redhat fine, actually it was fairly easy, though the help files at the side were pretty crap.

Having major problems getting it to pick up parts of my hardware though, it doesnt get my soundcard right, and it just seems to hate my speedtouch modem.

i went back to windows so that i could use the internet to try and get some help. Apparently i need firm ware upgrades and other stuff to get the modem working, no idea on the sound card.

Also i have a question about linux, is it possible to access other partitions and hard disks on the computer?

I keep all of my data on a hard disk with no installed programmes on its, so that if windows goes wring it doesnt affect the data, since it was independent of windows i was hoping to be able to access avi's on linux but i cant seem to get he hard disk to open.

To sum up, i'm a linux n00b, and my start didnt go to well

8. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

Yay! i can finally post in here, slackware meself.

Thanks alot RTT!

Col

9. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Sometimes recompiling the kernel can get your hardware working, but if you can update the firmware, go for it. (example of kernel recompile doing wonders, my old audio chipset would *not* work, no matter what I did on install, with RH 7.3... but if I recompiled the kernel, the chipset was right there in xconfig and it worked a charm afterword...)

Nonsense, your start is going great! I killed linux 3 times in 36 hours the first time I tried to install linux :p
    For the hard drive question, I'm going to assume you know FAT32 vs NTFS...
    Linux Kernel 2.4.x can read and write to FAT32 and read NTFS (if compiled to do so)
    Linux Kernel 2.6.x can read and write to FAT32, read NTFS, and write to NTFS IF it doesn't change the filesize of the file you're writing to NTFS (IE: you can't ADD a file to the partition, or DELETE a file from the partition, you can only change it)... although maybe (hopefully?) that will expand to include all NTFS writes later in the 2.6.x future...

10. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

I use mandrake, i'm a relative linux newbie, but i do enjoy fidleling around with it.

11. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

har har har

That was a while ago now, the crash itself was so lame it hard locked the machine - there was no accessing it via ANY method, gotta love poop gfx cards and even pooper lunix drivers. :cooldude:

I'm running Debian now too :hip:

12. TechMage

TechMage What's a Dremel?

ooh linux... its been a love n hate relationship over the year but soon as i switch off stoopid redhat... its been nice. using slackware on my old nt server running dns, httpd, nat and bitchx :naughty: (just so i can chat while playing cs on the windows comp)

13. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

well gentoo isn't up there in the poll but it'd get my vote.

and yes, i use it for an everyday desktop OS (on both my desktop and my laptop, in fact, it's the only OS on my laptop) but i also have freebsd 5.1 and win2k on my desktop.

posting this from win2k for the time being cause sketchup doesn't want to work with wine and there's not much really like it for linux/bsd.

14. Valimont

Valimont What's a Dremel?

*chants* gentoo.... *chants*

:thumb:

15. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Gentoo. For a little over 2 years now.

16. counterclockwise

counterclockwise What's a Dremel?

Debian testing avec the new installer. Ever try the "boot floppies" installer of woody/potato? this is about 10million times better, and is the easiest and quickest install of any os i've ever done. Give it a shot, you get a nice, clean, bloat free system (unlike with knoppix) and the tasksel selections for desktop system actually work! it's amazing ;)

17. katarsis

katarsis What's a Dremel?

debian its a real goo linux. j work in debian and i see haw light work in. the second is - Suse. simple light . if u furst use linux, suse for u.

18. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:eyebrow: whaaaaaaaat?
    gentoo > * anyway :p

19. counterclockwise

counterclockwise What's a Dremel?

hmmm... I can't say I agree... mostly because I don't like to compile everything i put on my system ever.

(lol, I like the way Gentoo has no votes ;)