1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another toy from OCZ

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Highland3r, 16 Jun 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

A charred/melted/fragmented/missing DIMM socket isn't an obvious way? Or the exploded modules on the ram? "Oh, my heat spreader melted off... it wasn't my fault though" :duh:

Looks like fun for overclockers though.

2. TMM

TMM Modder

bleh, i think modding the board yourself is MUCH more fun :)

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Nah, this is brilliant for people like me who never get round to doing stuff. I've been procrastinating over doing volt mods for weeks now. Ive got all the stuff, just not the time.

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Yes, because everyone knows that overvolting components makes them blow up :eyebrow: ;)

I wonder exactly how this is going to work. Will it still be taking voltage from the 3.3v line, meaning that users will still need to mod their PSUs for most boards? Or is it going to be supplying from the 5v line directly into the socket...would love more info on the mechanics of this.

5. olv

olv he's so bright

it uses the 5v or 12v line and uses a pass through connector from your main ATX power plug according to the OCZ representative on xtremesystems. they're currently working on an Althon64 version, it'd be so great if the could avert killing the onboard memory controller, may BH-5 live on :D

6. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

might need to invest in one of them, will allow me get higher then 2.8 vdimm :rock:

7. SlackeR

SlackeR What's a Dremel?

It sends a voltage down thrugh the dimm.. it gets stopped at the Mosfet. So ALL the modules get the vdimm this one sets.
    But as for the A64 i guess it will get the same voltage. i posted on extreme, if you want details.
    YES i am a lazy *******! :D

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've seen it happen...

It'll take power from +5/+12... it takes power from two molex connectors.

9. SlackeR

SlackeR What's a Dremel?

actually, no.. on the first page on extreme he mentions it using the ATX-plug ;)
    but i agree.. it is molex plugs on the unit for sure.. if they do not use 5/12v i hope they will change the plugs on the unit, so no one gets cunfused..

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Has anyone heard any more about this? when can I get one etc etc?

11. TheForumMonkey

TheForumMonkey What's a Dremel?

On ebuyer... here

12. Carbon

Carbon Banned

or overclockers.co.uk

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

has anyone got one?

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Not personally, still mixed reviews about them atm. Have a wonder over the overclockers.com forums, theres a few threads in the memory section, and theres some threads here @ XS forums

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yes and it didnt help in the slightest, the problem I have is that my mobo wont allow more than 1.7v vdd (northbridge) so no matter what voltage I supply to the RAM it doesnt matter a jot.

I tried upto 3.7v on the RAM without luck, no further overclock than when on 2.9v.
    I was able to check the voltage incease in the BIOS and in Windows, so it did in fact do what it said on the tin.

I'm running an NF7-S.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

much as I was expecting yoda... that plus a pencil mod might be interesting ;)

17. mushky

mushky gimme snails

to be honest thats what I was thinking. my NF7-S cant seem to go above 215 due to the northbridge. I've got a dfi infinity in a box here but I just can't be arsed with it.

18. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Interesting... It fits the board ok yea? Did you do a vtt mod (or are they not required for the NF7)

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

vtt = vbt = half DDR voltage?

If so, there is a mod for it and it's supposed to help a lot.... however the problem is that you have to set vbt to the same voltage as the northy, so vbt = vdd = 1/2 vDIMM... 3.4v vDIMM = 1.7v vDD, which could prove a problem. :blah:

20. olv

olv he's so bright

fancy posting some pics yoda? i'm gonna get one when i've sorted the rest of my water rig out. and plan on doing the pencil VTT mod with the ocz booster, should work a treat. whats your current max fsb?