1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ideas for my matrix-themed mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by robotguy9000, 19 Jun 2004.

1. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

I've done about 4 modded cases, and thought it was time to move onto a themed one. Given my radical matrix-fanboyism, i decided to make it matrix-themed.

Some ideas i have-

On top- have one of these sentinels tearing off pieces of the top, ya no?

Side- a window with either etched or applique'd matrix code, backlit by come green leds.

BUT... i need some ideas for the front. :sigh:

Any ideas, please post. thanx!

2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

The top torn up, displaying the stuff inside, would be awesome. Very much look forward to seeing that :jawdrop:

3. blurredvision

blurredvision What's a Dremel?

YES! That would be pretty awesome. I'd suggest cutting slits in the top of the case, then bending them back, and hopefully the figure you showed is a little bendable, as you can attach it's tentacles to the bent back pieces.

Also, maybe think of a way to mount one of those laser leds into the figure to kinda simulate it's red laser beam :D.

4. LucSkyywalker

LucSkyywalker What's a Dremel?

My favorite trillogy, turned into a great idea, turned into what is going to be a increadible mod. Have you seen any of the other matrix mods? I cannot remember the links, will look them up if you haven't. :D

5. robotguy9000

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/Matrix Pics/rebirth_1.html

^^^matrix rebirth 8.0 mod...

but i think the sentinel ripping back the metal is awesome. That was what i was thinking of doing, butting slits and bending them back. The model is fully posable, and all joints are articulated. As for the laser, i thought getting a small plexi rod and attaching a lazer led to the end, illuminating the whole thing.

I got an idea for the front- use bondo and red- translucent paint and LOTS OF GLOSS to make it look like the pod fluid, ya know how its red? :hip:

kinda like the green stuff here-
    http://thebestcasescenario.com/toxic/toxic1.html

Last edited: 19 Jun 2004
  6. Spy246

Spy246 What's a Dremel?

7. robotguy9000

anyone know how to make that "slimy" stuff on the matrix rebirth 8.0?

8. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Read mashie's Y2K bug project regarding the slimyness... that was one excellent mod... loved the organic influence in it...

9. Spy246

Spy246 What's a Dremel?

SLimy stuff what r you talking about, in the egg? or his watercooling tubing? Or his design stuff. Why don't you look for his worklog.

10. robotguy9000

ahah!!! resin! isnt that stuff hard to apply though?

-confuzzled :lol:

11. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Optic fibre or EL wire should be able to simulate that pretty good.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Head over to thepcmodshop.com for the window... they can do a laser etch of matrix code or for that matter anything you want. I'm getting that exact one actually :)
    [​IMG] They're not even excessively expensive either :)

I like that sentinel.... are you making that or buying it or what? That'd fit on my desk nicely... it's full of useless crap but at least it would be kinda eye-candyish :duh:

Are you aiming or something matrix-themed or like actually a part of the matrix? If you watch the end of revolutions where the Hammer pops up above the clouds for a second... that'd be cool to have somewhere. Better yet... take a screenshot of it, convert it to black and white, and have thepcmodshop etch it :eeek: They can also do these backlit bezel things and the matrix font is an option.

FYI... you're going to HAVE to use redhat 9.0 for this (or maybe other linux distrib's).... it has a matrix screensaver that's absolutely identical to what's in the movie (unlike the crappy windows ones). It can even do the phone number tracing thing (to a number of your choice). It's about the only thing that'll run on the old P3/300MHz laptop I have it on :sigh: but it's still fun to watch.

I think this will really come out nicely.... there are so many possibilities!

13. halo21

halo21 What's a Dremel?

well, you can go the route of making it look like the ship Nebikinezer(sp?) and have the characters inside. Make the Sentinals ripping into the ship. OR you could make it look like the Squidys are trying to stop your PC so make it look like it has battle damage. Or you could make it look techno-grunge like the inside of the Neb.

14. robotguy9000

lol thanks ALOT dude... this is a really quick post, brb later

i have an EXCELLENT screensaver, i know most of them are crappy but this one flat out rocks.... just a sec, gtg eat dinner (i feel like im on AIM)

EDIT (3 mins later) K im back from dinner, :lol:

RAHT ON!!! nice that matrix code is actually one of their stock designs!!! Does it cost more to have a custom one?

I'm going to start experimenting with resin/bondo/red paint to make the front goey.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2004
  15. robotguy9000

Nebuchadnezzar DUH!!! lol jk :lol: :lol:

yeah, i thought of making it look like that but i want to keep it looking like a computer so people will recognize it and say WTF DID YOU DO TO THAT COMPUTER!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I was also contemplating making some tesla coils and attaching them to my computer to look like the pads on the Neb... NOT!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!! while looking for pics of the Neb, look what i found!!! CHeck out the detail on the inside!!! look!

Ok back on topic :lol:

New idea- Water cool with red liquid, probably just water dyed red...

:idea: :idea: :idea: GENIUS IDEA!!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:

I dunno if this would work well, if at all, but its stll an idea. Make te front bezel hollow and clear to allow for the red liquid to flow through it as part of the WC'in process!!!!!! that would be uber-1337!!!!!

however, i'm not that advaced.. :waah:

hehe, i love da smileys! :thumb:

16. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

A custom reservoir that is the front bezel, maybe.

It'd be tricky, and maybe not as spectacular as it sounds. I can't imagine a reservoir is all that exciting... you'd probably want bubbles or similarly interesting movement in it, which definitely wouldn't be good for a WC system.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ooooh... send it to me. I found one that was close but ever since my RAID array crashed I kinda lost it...

Yes, I think they can do custom ones for like $15 more or so. Well I know they can, not sure on the price. It's not bad though.

Best res idea! Those pink goo things that people are grown in! And it would be probably an identical color to what you would get with water wetter. :idea: :idea: Not so great for flow rate but having something like that sticking out the top or whatnot would just be awesome! Good luck making one though.

I'm gunna go watch the matrix... I'll alt-tab out and let you know if I come up with some good ideas. If you want, you can even feel like I'm watching it for you (I'm not... that would be kinda wierd lol... I just really like the movie)

18. Fenriswulf

Fenriswulf What's a Dremel?

Very nice idea! I almost choked as it is very close to an idea I am having for my first big work, but now I have read what you are intending, I am a bit more relieved. My plans will take me in a whole different direction....

Check out e-bay for auctions of the sentinels if you don't already have one. I recently got mine for $12.88 :D and $45 shipping.... :wallbash: Damn international shipping rates...

As for what to have on the front.... Hmmm. Perhaps have a small LCD screen on it which does the whole matrix thing as ZapWizard described when making his Ammo Case PC? The LCD screen either scrolls the matrix code, or roughly shows the into to one of the movies I think. Something to think about.

You've gotta include a red and blue pill in there somewhere too :) One for starting, and the other to restart perhaps? Could be easy enough to have them designed into buttons if you know how to do resin moulding.

Trying to think of other idea's, but can't think of any others to do with the front of the case. I'm deliberately staying away from looking to into how the Matrix 8.0 casewas made, lest when I unveil my work I get accused of ripping off his (which I won't be doing in the slightest).

Keep going with this, I am definately interested in your choices!

Fenriswulf

Last edited: 20 Jun 2004
  19. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

just for reference, the xmatrix screensaver is part of X windows in general and not specific to any linux distro (or unix variant, for that matter, some of the guys at work run it on their sun boxes running solaris).

anywho, this looks to be an interesting mod, hopefully you can get started and show pictures soon :)

20. robotguy9000

alright, its like 12:30 here in AZ so i have to keep i short...

Is is possible to make your own window appliques? In color? I watched Revolutions and got some awesome ideas-

Something like this on the right (mobo) side- either painted or a big sticker! (think- casewrap)

[​IMG]

On the window side, either one of these in black and white-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and on the front, the red goo... except i think i might go for a machine-city-like look, since im only getting stuff from revolutions.

and of course, on top, the incredle sentinel

QUESTIONS!!!!!

Can you make your own case wraps?
    Can you make window appliques... actually i KNOW you can, i jsut dont know how

THanks people!

Mebe ill include the bittech logo somewhere in there

This is gonna be SCHAWEEEET!!! :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: