1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ideas for my matrix-themed mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by robotguy9000, 19 Jun 2004.

1. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

A little note about laser beams....

In a real laser beam you can not see the actual beam and the photons are moving so fast you only see where they hit. It takes some kind of scattering of the beam to make it show an actual beam. An led and a spot on the other side of the case would be a good symbol for a laser beam. The physist talking in me :hehe: :hehe:

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yes and yes. Appliques can't be in color though. Etches can kinda have a monochrome/greyscale look though.
    http://polygfx.com/customart.html - custom skins
    just find a place that does appliques and they can do a custom one. that window place does cutsom etches as well. I would recommend decalhappy for appliques but they're kinda down right now.

my58vw... yes that's very true (except in green lasers I've heard) but the sentinel lasers don't act like real lasers do :duh: It just wouldn't have made a good movie effect. Who wants to see a dot cutting through six inches of metal when you can have a full beam?

3. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

kewl, but im thinking for the appliques of printing them out on sticky transparencies then applying it to the window, because i dont want other people to do it for 2 reasons- Im too poor and i'd like as much of it as possible to be real.

Im gonna think of a nice cut i can do on the other non-window side

thanks

4. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

:rolleyes: You are no fun dude... :eyebrow:

5. robotguy9000

lol, but what about EL wire? that would work.... i hope :sigh:

6. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Thats what I suggested..either that or a strand of optic fibre.

7. robotguy9000

optic fiber does that make it a continuos beam? where'dya get it?

8. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Optic fibre should light up down its length with whatever colour you place at the end. The light reflects internally through the fibre. You've seen those UFO Lamps ?

[​IMG]

You can get this stuff from a number of places:

1) Find someone with a UFO Lamp and nick a couple of strands :D
    2) Buy an optical digital audio cable
    3) Probably find it my the metre at electronics stores.

9. robotguy9000

lol, target! im gonna go yoink a coupla strands. hmm... but those things are kinda thin... gonna look 4 some thinker one

10. Firehed

I have one of those lamps. the idea behind fibre optics is that most of the light goes out the ends... it's just kinda ineffecient about it so some comes out the sides. when i first saw one (before I owned it) i thought there were lots of tiny colored light bulbs at the ends.... since thats where most of the light comes from. EL wire would be a lot better for the effect you want... FO is better for making light go around corners without mirrors, so to speak (just not much light)

11. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

i was thinkin once of doin a matrix theme and an idea given to me was to carefully dremel out tonnes of you know the matrix code stuff on the side of the case and to get a green cathode on a like motor so it looks as if the code is scrolling ie the cathode reaches the top and switchwes on and travells down the inside of the panel wwen reaches bottomit resets back to top and starts over.

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I reckon you should have a standard (but good-looking case) being ripped open by the sentinel. is that model you showed (in the first post) posable?

not true actually. it should only show light at the end. but you can try roughing up the 'sides' to get light to diffuse through.

I on the other hand would like to see a laser-pen hacked. you might need some smoke to get it to show up though. a plastic line is just going to look cheap.

13. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

My UFO lamp does :D But you are right, its really not sposed to.

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I personally h8 the matrix for its terrible acting (trinity is perhaps the worst acted character in film history) and for the facts is very very unoriginal ripping from various films mainly DarkCity. But hey everyone is entilited to their opinion right.

Anyway, a matrix based mod is still a nice idea...personally the sentinel on top would look great, even if it had nout todo with the matrix it would look good....i suggest u take a look at the hl2 mod's keyboard and make a smahed ripped up bit for the sentinel.

15. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

16. robotguy9000

if you want poor acting, watch star wars :lol:

anyways, i think i might do some sort of keyboard like that, with scorch marks on it or maybe some more gooooo... :D

17. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

after looking around that Cards + Collectables site I had an :idea: this might tickle your fancy.

Build a PC thats also a scene from the movie.

get one of the sentinals ripping a hole in the top of the case, and one of the A.P.U models and put it inside the case with a window, then mod/paint/scultpt/etc the inside of the case to look like machinery from the inside of the big underground dome. The A.P.U could look like its firing up at the hole.

*This post was brought to you after a long weekend of too much beer and too little sleep* :D

18. Firehed

Good idea with the APU... but good luck fitting a motherboard in there with all that stuff :wallbash: Or maybe you should just skip the computer part lol

Yes that was the screensaver I had before :) Still not quite as good as the linux one but very close (the lead falling character highlighting is better in the linux one, as are the options). Thanks for the link though :thumb:

19. robotguy9000

yeah, exactly, just skip the computer part :lol:

i think making it a movie scenarion would look good, especially in an acrylic case. However, im going to skip the sculpting beyond the level of bondo, im not that great of an artist.

*thinking*

I have a bunch of this stuff- the silver tubing

[​IMG]

some rusting and red paint could make it very machine-city like.

20. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky What's a Dremel?

If you need any help with techniques/materials or ideas for your Matrix themed mod shoot me an e-mail and I'll be glad to give you some pointers-

-cheers