1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forums too strict?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yakpimp, 21 Jun 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup. You cant just expression in text easily.

I'll have to read all your posts as sarcastic in future then ;)

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

One of the reasons I like this forum is the level of intelligent moderation.
    I cant be arsed reading through a string of posts by adolescent 12 year olds before I get something that makes sense.
    If you want to act like a nob-head go to the [H] or do it on msn, also remember that this is a forum open to all ages, and the content should reflect that.

No ones stopping you from having fun with your post and comments, just do it in a more intelligent manner, you will earn more respect than saying "Your mom is a fat whore too."

Just my thoughts.

3. Yakpimp

Yakpimp What's a Dremel?

Well, many good points, and I guess some of them help to change my opinion a bit, but I still don't totally agree.

Also the mom is a whore thing would probably never actually be said, it was just an overblown example.

I in no way said this forum was bad, or that the moderating made it suck. I too do not like to see every line being spam in a thread, but i still feel some times it helps with a little chuckle. Doesn't have to be vulgar, or demeaning (sp?).

As for sarcasm in text form, I don't think i it is as hard to pick out as you say, obviously if you say something that is way out there, no person in their right might would think it was totally serious.

Because I am from America, and have not met many UK people, maybe there is a big difference between us. That difference is not maturity. It is just a different way of looking at and dealing with life.

Personally I like to take the lighter side of everything. If someone breaks their leg in a car accident. I don't feel like damn man, you are not gonna be able to walk for weeks. Instead I am always the optemist. ya know, hey man, you are lucky it was just your leg. Imagine if you lost some teeth too, or hurt your self permanently.

I dont know.. anyway, good conversation.

4. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

So how do you manage to read *any* of the threads? :D

Sam

5. penski

penski BodMod

I love these forums. I love the community. I love the way it is moderated. I love Rich (but only in that special way).

The way I see it, the moderation here is perfect.

*n

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Yep, not everly strict, yet not too lazy.

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi Yakpimp

well.. I think ur just jumping a bit fast too conclusions. Seeing that have only been here for a month. U just need to get used to the way this forum works.

This is the first forum that I joined, but since the day that I joined , I have also joined several other forums and this is by far the best forum for me.

I can't thank of any other way to make this forum better. And I've seen it grow over the last 2 years. This is truly a remarkable place.

The moderators are the glue that keep this forum toghether. They keep peace and order here.

L

Oh , and another note on the sarcasm. Not everybody of this forum is native-enlgish speaking. (Like me! I'm dutch) So its hard enough sometimes to understand and help eachother, so there is really no need for 'fresh-talk'. And its a UK-native forum, so if ANY other talk then standard english, it should be uk-talk then.. lol

So I will agree with previous points being made that half of the people wouldn't understand the 'sarcams' and might aswell be offended by the 'joke'.

I find that this forum has grown on me.. :dremel:

8. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

To be fair, there has been the occasional time when I've felt the mods were a little harsh- but this is only to be expected and I'm prepared to let it slide because I've seen the hellholes that are unmoderated forums!

Sam

9. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Speaking as a fellow American, it does take a little while to get used to the differences across the pond. Even now, I still see/hear something that throws me for a loop every once in a while. It just takes some time to get used to. But you can still have a lot of fun here. I've gotten dirty looks from co-workers and arse-chewings by the boss for laughing too loud in the office reading some of the stuff here, and I know I'm not the only one.

10. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

I got it! I got it! Oh wait, I'm just an American. :naughty: :hehe:
    (But I grew up on Brit humour!)

But seriously, I've hardly ever noticed a mod doing his "thing". Guess I hang out in the more civil threads. I just love this place!

11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Most of what I was going to say has already been said, so I won't bother repeating.

About the bit about posting a thread that already exists (ex: laptop screens): we usually tell them to search b/c what the'yre asking (usually: is it possible to ...) has already been answered. If its new information or a question that hasn't been answered, the moderators don't close it, so I don't know where you saw that happen.

And as for being American and not looking at things the same way: I'm an American and while there may be some tidbits I don't understand (british humor, mainly ;)), it's mainly the content and not the expressions, style of writing, jokes, etc. that are confusing (ex: Euro 2004, I have no clue.... :D).

BTW, Yakpimp: I think this is just you being upset about a mod removing one of your posts and not the general moderation of this forum :rolleyes:.

12. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

Code:

+--------------------------------+
                    | *     WEIGHT LOSS CLINIC     * |
                    +--------------------------------+

ENTRANCE                 EXIT
                  __________________        __________
                 | ________________ |      | ________ |
                 ||                ||      ||        ||
                 ||              O ||      ||      O ||

Who says were not funny. bah

13. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

When I do sarcasm i usually '</sarcam>' it if it is light sarcasm

If it is really heavy I hope it is explanitory like:
    "Man that is some wicked art there dude, what program did you use to make it."

*takes hat off*
    I take my hat off to the moderators here

*throws it at them*
    They do a bang up job dealing with all sorts of idiosts on a daily basis, I do the same at work as do most of them but they choose to do it in their free time, lets respect that and try to be as un-idiotic as we can be...

14. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

I have to disagree with the original poster. I think one of the greatest "features" of Bit-Tech is how it is moderated. Sure, you may give up the freedom to say what you REALLY want sometimes, but the forums as a whole benefit from this. If you feel the need to cuss at other members over the design of their case window, go to some ot[H]er forum. If you want intelligent discussion, come to Bit-Tech. :thumb:

Regarding Americans and sarcasm: It's true that some of the sarcastic humor here is not picked up on by American readers. Often times a harmless joke is taken as a rude insult. I think it would be helpful for all us Americans to remember that when we visit Bit-Tech, we are guests in a foreign country. As such, we should act like guests and understand that although we share the same language, the cultures are different and similar words and phrases take on different meanings. For example, a slang term for a cigarette in England is a derogatory term for a homosexual person in the US. That's just one example out of many...

EDIT: 69th post!!!! :naughty:

Last edited: 21 Jun 2004
  15. LayZeh

LayZeh What's a Dremel?

The pure fact this thread needed to be posted says enough, you stupid little geeks care too much, a forum is a forum there's plenty more with a similar subject that are moderated differently, my advice join a few that way when you're feeling mature and helpful or immature and aggressive you can go and post on the appropriate forum.

16. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

bit-tech rules...

only annoying thing that has been getting at me for a while is the lack of really original mods going around a lot of people are like

"omfg w00t i am so 1337 i bought a cold cathode!!!!!!!!onefourseventhree"

apart from that i think the moderators are actually a good laugh and are fair for the most part... :D

17. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

if you want childish unmoderated forums then I refer you to the steam forums over at www.steampowered.com :)

18. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

I agree with all of the above and only serves to prove that if your going to get bitchey with the mods your just going to get burnt. They do such a good job for very little in return they deserve respect and its just plain disrespectful to criticise the people that make this forum great.

Just my 2p

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What the hell do you mean?? Jesus Christ Sam you're always bitchin and moaning you jelous scottish.. bleh..

:worried: :hehe: ;);)

(tehehehehe ;))

20. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

nah, http://www.afrotechmods.com/ thats unmoderated.

anway, i think the mods to a great job, just maybe theres too many so you get confilcts in interest, what is acceptable to one mod isnt to another and visa versa.

ive been a member of foums in the past and theyve closed due to excessive flaming, was fun at first but then it got silly and out of hand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.