1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

////\Project Spidy/\\\\ - Dremel O.C`ing + blazing eyes(update 15/7).

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by alianyn, 20 Feb 2004.

1. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

and it`s tingeling right my friend! though i ain`t givin` my dremel 380Vac - i will be giving spidy some eye candy (pun intended)!

so once my dremel was working i quickly finished cutting the eyes in the back layer of the front panel. used some files to smooth it and took a scrap piece of plexi and mounted it behind the grill - just to get and idea of the space i had to work with (i measured it all in the planning stage - but you can never really tell - these things move on you sometimes - you guys know what i mean? :worried: ).
    [​IMG]

after some careful measuring i went to the kitchen to bring my, now trusty, aluminum foil - quality reynolds` brand ;P
    marked them eyes on it, got my slicer (project knife) and carefully and extremely slowly cut the foil. it`s very sensitive - every fast move you make - you WILL pay for, as the foil will tear!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

i then returned to the plexi straightening it out and cutting it using my trusty o.c`d dremel to size. and thus began the boring procedure of plexi sanding (which if you are following this - i hate, yet seem to be cursed with eventually having to do it over and over again - also see the end of this post...) until i got it just at the texture i wanted it.
    i put it all together and for your viewing pleasure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are the shots everyone seems to give me a long face about - i don`t know why? i tried from every angle @ every lighting i could think of but it doesn`t really capture the beauty of it - not to mention in one of them because of the flash it looks scratched - well it`s not - trust me (you can also check out the other picture).

so to relax everybody i show them the eyes in action - connected to the computer it give off blue light when power is on :
    [​IMG]

and on ide activity the eyes go red (boy was this hard to capture just right - yet still...)
    [​IMG]

these images look better but still do this no justice - i guess i have to tune up my cam skillz and get a decent tripod... but i promise you -i can`t stop staring at it - i think they are calling to me whsipering in their spider tongue :naughty:

not totally finished with it as buttons still need to be relocated and as the mighty Resetter suggested to me i`ll also incorporate a switch between the 2 modes (mode1 - red=power on, blue=ide. mode2 - blue=power on, red=ide).
    but i had to stay away from the beautiful lights, so i went ahead and sanded down the old cd some more until it was totally smooth and i primered it so it`s nice and good for the kitbashing and installation of the rheobox in it.
    [​IMG]
    it took forever to sand it and my hands were already sore (it`s a curse i tell`ya) when i remembered the rheobox was supposed to fit in a drive bay and so is a cd drive box - so they are the same size - so the rheobox is going to have to shrink (again with the sanding??? :jawdrop: ) so now i can`t feel my arms nor move them - the rheobox still needs about an hour more of sanding though it looks amazing (but i can`t move my arms and take a picture), and i`m still finding my self staring @ those beautiful bright spidy`s eyes!

*** almost forgot to thank The Resetter - my friend you rock! - thanks for the mental support and the solid advice ;)
    *** bahhh antoher edit - i`ve been thinking of putting some more lights to light the grill itself and give contrast to the eyes. it has also been suggested to me by others, that i use something other than alluminum (like painted paper for example (painted with red/black/blue).

would love to hear any opinions you guys might have.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2004
  2. hercule

hercule What's a Dremel?

wOOt! i love the blue eyes! If it looks better in real life than in the pics, it must be awesome.

3. DeadTeddy

DeadTeddy What's a Dremel?

amazing work. I think you shouldn't add more lights though. if you do the eyes won't stand out so much, which is probably what makes them so beautiful.

4. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

HOLY #&$*(@#...that is awesome dude!!! :rock:

5. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

i was going to make a case with a spydy consept so i haft to come up whit a other ide :D
    but great work man :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

6. grandmasterp

grandmasterp What's a Dremel?

Looks great, keep up the work :thumb:

7. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

wow! first of all it look soooo great!"!! And the fact that they change when the computer is working is awsome!!! love it man... I just love it :D

8. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

whoa - thanks you guys.
    really - getting so much positive feedback really is a drive.
    got up off my lazy arse and threw some studies away (i can always get prepped for surgeory later :eyebrow: )
    and decided to finish the rheobus once and for all...
    so i think you`re really gonna like it if you liked the spidy`s eyes, i kinda combined the lights/color/3d texture theme and threw the rheobox and cd logo cut together - i`m now making 90 degree metal bends to put it all together so i hope to have something to show by tomrrow.

thanks again for the complements, really. glad you guys like it.

9. NoodleNogin

NoodleNogin What's a Dremel?

I'm confused :confused: where did you stick the foil eye cut-outs? On the back of the plexi then light up the plexi?

Oh and how come your number of posts never increases...are you real?

10. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

the aluminum foil was placed between the plexi and the front panel - the front panel`s color is black (colour if you`re a u.k`er) so it would show through the plexy, so i used the aluminum foil to both mask it and reflect any light that escapes into that area.
    it`s the part of the plexi that seems white (the digicam has trouble getting the silvery color through the plexi just right)...

as for your second question - lol - not sure if it`s a complement - but of course i`m real, or at least last time i checked (how do you check exactly :worried: )
    as for my post count - it`s like everyone`s post count - once you post - all of your posts will be updated to display your current postcount - so if before my postcount was 75 - just look @ all my posts now - they will be 76 (way 2 go me :thumb: )

as for the rheobox - i`m sorry i have not updated yet - work HAS progressed i`m just stuck in an endless shift @ the hospital - so i haven`t had the time yet to access the server upload pictures etc...
    so - here`s hoping i can do that this night or tomorrow...

11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Nice, I like the eyes.

You should sand off "Push to Open" too ;)

12. alianyn

alianyn What's a Dremel?

:D ofcourse i`s not gonna be there.
    that whople panel is going out - i`m leaving it for now so it doesn`t collect dust, but it will be replaced with some very nicely tinted plexi, and it will have a frame of blue light. that when opened will change to red or white to iluminate the front connectors...
    it`s still in planning and experimenting stages so i haven`t said anything - but you got it out of me ...

13. NoodleNogin

NoodleNogin What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I realised the posts all go up at the same time after I posted that question. Silly me, I'm still new on this block. Wasn't a compliment, wasn't an insult, just a question. Spiderdude looks cool. Xcelent work. :thumb:

14. Bobpa!

Bobpa! What's a Dremel?

As a big spiderman fan, I love this design! :clap: I'll will watch the progress with very much interest. Man, this is a great inspiration for me :naughty:

15. RClivin

RClivin What's a Dremel?

WOW this is amazing!~
    I am subscribing!
    Thanks for the Inspiration w/ the electronics