1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod-Off Competition - Interested?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Elmo, 23 Jun 2004.

1. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

Myself and [t0rc], the owner of www.moditory.com , are putting together plans for a large modding competition. The competiton will take place somewhere on the continental United States, with the exact location to still be determined. We will try to keep the location as close to as many people that sign up as possible, so get your friends to sign up too! We are also considering making plans for a UK version, so you English types won't feel left out :)

However, ideas are all good, but ideas can often be ignored. What we need is for people to show their support for the competition by taking a few seconds out of their busy modding schedules to show their support of our idea.

The Mod-Off, we hope, will have some sponsors such as Home Depot and some modding supply stores such as Xoxide, SVC and hardware stores like Newegg. We plan to enhance the modding industry by bringing awareness to the artistic and technological mastery that is inherent within the modding community and show it off to the world. The competition will include both individual and team-based rounds, which we feel will bring a new challenge to the competition.

So, we are asking you to fill out a quick form with your name, handle (nick name), email and whether or not you are interested in the idea and if you are willing to travel to this competition. Please note that your information will NOT be sent to any companies, we just need the information to keep you in the loop as to how the Mod-Off is progressing. The form can be found at the following address:

http://www.moditory.com/content.php?content.46

It takes about 20 seconds to fill it out and send it, and thats all! All we plan to do with this is show companies like Home Depot that we are serious about this.

Thank you for your support, and we hope that we will see you at the Mod-Off! E-mail me with any questions at elmo_and_friends@hotmail.com

-Elmo

2. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Info Update

Hey everyone, it would be greatly appreciated if you mentioned where you live/ are located at in the Comments text box. It would help us figure out where we should try and locate this competition. We appreciate everyones support. Remember, anyone can register for this thing as long as you are seriously interested. No spam please. :rock: Peace everyone :rock:

3. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

what kind of time limit are you thinking for it, because a lot of good mods take a lot of time

4. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

i live in the netherlands
    is it possible to join the compo with some photographes of my mod?
    maby The_resetter also can join the compo with his dragon and plexicus illuminati and maby when its done his QbiX

5. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

<response>

<KAMIKAZE-FREAK> If you can get to the competition, your in. Just make sure you sign up so we know your interested.

<theagent> Well with team based moddage, you will be able to get a lot done in a shorter time period. To answer your question, at the moment, but it's not official time limit as of yet, we're looking at about a week.

6. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

theagent - the idea with a team based mod is for the mod to take somewhere around a week (5-7 days). The idea being that there is some challenge to the mod. Theres money and time to worry about, so we are trying to see what modders can do with a limited budget and a short time frame. Hope it will lead to some interesting results!

KAMIKAZE-FREAK - Well, we are seriously considering a European Mod-Off, so there will be an opportunity for you to enter, but unless you can travel to the US for the competition, I don't know about entering. But I think that we should try and get as many people involved as we can, so if we start collecting pictures and biographies of modders and their mods, that would be great!

7. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

i would be up for it if it was in europe.. :) though i would possibly be able to travel to the US, do you mean something along the lines of scrapyard challenge but with a PC.. building custom pcs..

8. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

That would be fun, I like that a lot, but it takes me some serious time to do mods like this, but in seven days? :hehe:

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Personally [t0rc], I think that the competition will go much more smoothly with a two week time frame; It takes a lot of time to make cuts in the materials, a lot of time to design the systems, and it also takes time for the system components to arrive from wherever they were ordered. It would seem to me that it would make more sense to double the length of what is currently under consideration for those reasons. :)

10. RClivin

RClivin What's a Dremel?

I think you have it just as you would need,
    If you have the parts there which they will need it would be sweet!
    Forced creativity,
    Everyone has the Same case to work with,
    Everyone in the same room (like a school gym during the summer)
    Man this could be sweet,

see, the pressure to complete it in this short of a time period would cause some of us to collapse but some AWESOME creations.

you chouldnt tell what kind of case it is either, but the people should be able to bring a plan of what they want to do,

and Cuts dont take too long to make, they could do it,

11. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

we are hoping to have some mod suppliers on location. the idea being that the modders have a limited budget to spend on materials. work log competitions can take months, and mostly because people work and live a life and mod on the side. The idea here is to condense that all. It adds challenge to modding, and hopefully lead to some drama to attract TV companies to make a show of it (for example junk yard wars) but thats a bonus (big one too) we simply just want to have a large modding convention.

as for hardware, for a mod you really dont need anything except for a PSU, however i think we can have people bring in some hardware, doesnt need to be top of the line. we were considering either supplying the same case to everyone, or having two heats - one would be using a generic case, and the other is building a new case from scratch.

but as i've said, this whole thing is still in the very early stages of planning, so any input is greatly appreciated!

12. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Where in the US would you hold this? I live in NY.

13. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, dude, but have you ever heard of a paragraph?

14. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Centralizing Info Update

In an effort to centralize everyone to the same forum/thread to be able to converse about this contest/event, I have given the Mod-Off it's own section in The Moditory's newly created forums. We will now post the updates of info there. You can also find the original message with the registration information there. Mod-Off Thread We'd appreciate the moderators leaving this thread up so that members may still register for the contest. We may still post major updates here, but we will be able to respond to everyones suggestions and questions at it's official thread much easier. We hope to see you sign up for this contest and show your support for the modding industry. Thanks.