1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide The Smallest Jumper Switch Ever

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Malvolio, 19 Jun 2004.

1. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Please read the last sentence in my last post, the one that says "Can this whole thing be dropped yet?"

Why did I say that I didn't think that was a joke, maybe because I didn't think that was a joke, or something I would have said as a joke. Also I'd like to point out the "in my opinion" (you know, everyone has different opinions...).

I'm not even going to ask why you would make such a waste of a post, I can tell your just trying to rub in the "your an idiot" effect.

L J

2. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

This is a fascinating thread, and possibly fuelled by some sort of drugs...

Anyway, without wanting to sound 'arrogant' :worried: ;) , now that you have put up sharper pics, my switch doesn't look like the one in the guide anymore and seems to have stopped working...:duh: :sigh:

Oh well, back to the 'ol drawing board. :)

/ignores Colonel Sanders

3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Yes, please. Lead by example Sanders :thumb:

4. toand

toand What's a Dremel?

This must be the funniest thread ever :D
    Good idea about the switch too, I'll have to make me one of those some day :)

5. zebra

zebra What's a Dremel?

ROFL, this thread is indeed pretty funny!

just to stay on-topic a bit, i ripped a couple of those cases that have a little pcb with switches and leds together to connect to the frontpanel and use that with my caseless pc's (most of them..).

6. Guido

Guido What's a Dremel?

This is great! I can't figure out what I've enjoyed the most, the humour (c, i can spell), or the idiocy being displayed by Col Mustard, opps, Col Sanders.

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Oh sorry. Post count threw me off :blush:

8. Colonel Sanders

Hey, f*** you. I only said I thought G-gnomes pics were rude. I don't think it's right to disguise something thats rude by calling it a joke. I was a bit surprised when Mal said he didn't care about G-gnome pics, but still I only said that I thought what G-gnome posted was rude.

If it weren't for pathetic posts like yours, this whole mess would be over, but no, even after me saying to drop it twice, and several others (including a moderator) you have to continue. That is what I consider idiocy.

And TekMonkey, I mostly read, but yes, at this forum my post count is growing unusually slow.

9. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Enough already. let's stop this right now. Comment about the mod, not about the sarcasm/irony/americanism/englishism.

Anything insulting beyond this post will result in a 7 day ban, no questions.

10. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Great mod Mal, the damned useful but simple ideas are the best.

BTW, what is that board above the switch in your pic Mal? The one with all the jumpers.

11. Colonel Sanders

It is a nice idea, but I think it'd be nice to re-locate your multiplier swiches or some other settings. I wonder if I could do this to easily clear my C-MOS...(I think it might be 3 pin).

I think that board in his pic with all the jumpers is an old display that would show off the incredibly fast speeds of the old Pentiums. :)

L J

12. AL3X

AL3X What's a Dremel?

Nice guide there! I think I'll have to make one of those, since I'm sick of having to open up the case everytime I need to reset CMOS *sigh*

And people, calm down!! No need to fight in a forum..jeez.
    Now let's all shake hands and be friends :)

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yes, he is quite right. Heres a better shot of the computer next to a apple....

[​IMG]
    You can see the board beside the CPU fan. Simply put, it is a manualy controlled LED read-out that displays my CPU speed (66 in this case lol). But under it I've attached a buzzer as the system speaker. It's actualy interstingly done, what I did was take the +5v from the speaker line, run it up to the speaker, jumped it over onto the LED display, and then ran a +0v line back down to the mobo from the LED display, and as well a separate line for the buzzer (as the buzzer switches via +0v). It's an intersting setup to say the least, if you want to check it out more then follow the link in my sig :D. And make sure to post in it, as nobody has for a while :worried:

14. DAWG

DAWG What's a Dremel?

Holy crap! I was just reading this thread, and fell over this:

[​IMG]

Is this yours, Sanders? :waah:

Great little switch, mind you, and this thread just keeps getting better :thumb:

15. Colonel Sanders

MAL, I stumbeled acros a manually controlled LCD that looks exactly like yours. :) I think it'd be nice to display the GHz of my PC (1.53) and I believe this thing has decimal points. Could you provide any information on powering or setting this thing? I simply have no idea how to power it, fom there I could mess around enough till I find out how to set it.

L J

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Sure, no prob.

[​IMG]
    sorry about pic, couldn't get anything better off it

Allright, first you must realise that only some of them can actualy display the decimal point, even though they are usualy equiped with the LED to light it up (go figure). The one in that picture will do the decimal points, but I'm not 100% sure (I've never tried lol). [EDIT]I've just tried mine, and it does not have the option to light up the decimal points, but again, just play with it. It won't bite you ;)[/EDIT]

The bottom row is where you would hook up power, the turbo switch, and have the optional output (IE if you need a 5v supply for something else). The input will allmost allways be 5v, and it will typicaly be on the headers closest to the resistor. On the one in the picture the + would be the pin closest to the resistor, and the - the second one from the right. The three center pins on the lower row are for the turbo switch (as in a DPDT), and finaly the left most two pins are the 5v output. Left most pin in the two group is ground, while the second one from the left is +.

The group of pins in the center and top control the numbers on the face. At this point it's more a matter of just playing with the jumper settings and finding which parts light up, and which don't. Enjoy!

17. Colonel Sanders

Well, upon seeing that image and comparing it to the back side of mine, they are in no way the same... :( Oh while. Must have tried every pin on there till I came to the last two and those were the magical pins. :) Now the downside, the thing has butt-ugly orange leds, I was hoping for green.

Question, is it normal for these displays to get incredibly hot in about 10-sec.?(Could that be a sign the polarity for the power is wrong?) I really don't know a whole lot about electronics (I can identify most everything on a PCB but as far as building a circuit, better let someone else do that), next question- would it be a good/bad idea to randomly prod the pairs of pins to "try to see how she works" while leaving the power to the display on?

L J

18. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

sounds like too much power's going to the LEDs. i've heard that green LEDs can shift color to orange when overpowered. this would also explain your heat issues (LEDs do generate some heat but shouldn't be getting too hot to handle by any means)

19. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Malfolio ... good idea! , no, wait ... great idea!

... you know, your buddies rib you the hardest when you do something funny

EDIT: ...For content ... sorry about this post ...

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  20. Colonel Sanders

EDIT: No real need for this post anymore.

L J

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
Tags: