1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: QbiX Water Cooled \o/ (aluminium cube)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Resetter, 28 Mar 2004.

1. diablito

diablito What's a Dremel?

realy nice work man ;)

2. Gedron

Gedron What's a Dremel?

UPDATE I SAY!!!

How's it coming along?

3. DjmUK

DjmUK What's a Dremel?

I've gotta' say that the ideas on this forum (and thread) amazes me. I haven't seen half of these things before, and some are so simple:
    - LED in Eheim pump;
    - Lazer LED's for Resorvoir.

I can't wait to start my own mod (already planning), but gotta' save up for the parts (and tools). I really like the LED/Res - I might use that as a basis for my own mod, but unknown at this time.

Keep up the good work, and please show a pic of everything together (that should be interesting) ;)

4. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

Your wish is my command.

It took me some time, I was so bummed with a problem the motherboard backplate dint fit the first time, I kinda got pissed and was like f#ck it ill play with it later, well I did after a week or so. But I succeeded I did have to offer 2 PCI slots but I’m not using them anyway :)

Right so measuring the holes with an old motherboard.

[​IMG]
    Still getting in the mobostandoff’s in their proved to be a larger problem, point being that its not a metrical thread, and a correct tap would cost me like 30 euro, witch is a bit to much for my liking, so I began some logical thinking (who me rofl, no serious I did :p) the “core” of the thread was 3.2mm, and the thread is 3,5mm, so drilled it with a small 3.2mm drill, then got me a thumbscrew and kinda tapped the threads with that screw, after that I could just screw the standoff’s in \o/ another problem solved.
    And a nice little tutorial even ;).

The backplate.
    [​IMG]

Right the lighting, I’ve been experimenting with some colours and already began to mesh some cables with UV red mesh from AC-Ryan, but to call it red is an understatement its UV pink :wallbash: ow well it will do, in the end it turned up alright with the normal red lights on (no I’m not a whore :p)

My sponsor ct-systemen has been so friendly to give me some of the needed lighting, I’ll be using 2 UV ccfl’s and 2 Meteorlight’s red, you’ll also notice 2 red ccfl’s but those aren’t deep red for my likings more like pink/white so off they go so I made my own red LEDbar, ill just swap those 2 red ccfl’s for some UV tubes.

Since the wires of cclfs arent that long the invertors are kinda in sight, so that ugly blue like colour has to go ASAP.:naughty:

Before.
    [​IMG]

After.
    [​IMG]

And the meshed cables, yes I know I used a bit to large heatshrink but I already replaced that with a smaller size.
    [​IMG]

Yes I even fixed that lose piece. :p
    [​IMG]

And an overvieuw.
    [​IMG]

And Resetter how does that look like when u feed them some juice ?

Well……. Like this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bling Bling innit ;)

5. DjmUK

DjmUK What's a Dremel?

Those boxes connected to the "Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamps" (yeah, I looked up what CCFL means). Are those boxes the invertors..? (because they're all of different sizes, unless they provide different functiions...hmm).

Strange question, but what does this invertor do and why is it a requirement..?

(I'm still in the learning process of modding) ;)

6. Go4t

Go4t i

the cathode tubes run on AC which is why the inverter is necessary
    they look like 3 different brands which would explain the difference in shape

EDIT: half asleep thinking of different kind of inverter

Last edited: 27 Jun 2004
  7. The_Resetter

Wrong, its not 3 different brands :p all lights are from SunBeam.

What an inverter actually does is crank op the power, cathodes are a simple tube of glass, the tube is filled with gas, and the white coating is a phosphor coating thats what gives the tube colour, now on each side theirs an electrode since it has a gas it needs to ignite that, so what an invertors does is crankup the volts, so that the tube lignite’s aka begins to emit light, you can compare it with normal TL lighting, so your basic invertors runs @ about 400 to 800 volts.

8. RaZoRbLaDe

RaZoRbLaDe What's a Dremel?

Ziet er erg goed uit ;)

It really looks good. I'm curious to see how this case will be when it's finished. Keep us informed coz i'm watching this one very closely :thumb: .

9. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: *subscribed* :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

10. Taylon

Taylon What's a Dremel?

This is just a helpful post to those that think that they have to post in the thread to subscribe to one. When you are reading a thread that you like up at the top right is a link "Thread Tools". If you click on that the bottom option is "Subscribe to this Thread". If you click that then you will be able to choose how you want to subscribe to the thread.

Not trying to be jerk just trying to be helpful so we don't have to many of those posts that are used just to subscribe to the thread. I've seen this on several threads I'm subscribed to so I thought I would finally say something.

11. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Woozza! very nice work!!

:thumb:

DDK

12. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Must say man, this is lovley work you're doing!! :eeek:

13. DjmUK

DjmUK What's a Dremel?

Thank you,
    I see, because the 12V from the yellow wire (eg, Floppy Power Connector) isn't enough, the invertor increases the voltage to 400-800V to produce the bright light. Much like a transformer (I think).

And with the different shapes, they might have different voltages, models and/or functions.

14. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

damn man nice lights..clean i have 2 say. Very clean! Good job!

15. The_Resetter

Correct

Only 2 different shapes :p 2 long ones are inverters, that other box is for the Meteorlight

16. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Maaaaan I love youre cube, and the sleeving look sweet! :rock:
    A picture og the case with the light would be good, just to see how it glows from the outside :naughty:

17. richtea78

richtea78 Guest

Some really nice mods on here - they inspired me to attack my case :D

18. The_Resetter

Go for it ;) pounce theiy case with theiy dremel.

Its uuuuupdate time, the case is almost done I’m just waiting for some stuff a couple IC’s and a DangerDen chipset waterblok.

So afters some brushing I finished the backpanel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And teh fan hole’s aren’t they pwetty ;) :p :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Detail [​IMG]

Right the panel’s the insides where given a coat of paint.
    Back panel.
    [​IMG]

Radiator panel.
    [​IMG]

As some of u might know from experience that red ccfls are everything except red, its more like white/orange, so what does the better casemodder….. correct he makes his own light in the darkness ;)

I made a 10LEDBar, I used 10 4000mcd red LED’s.:dremel:

[​IMG]

So who much light do they emit??..... A LOT!
    [​IMG]

Plastic crates under my bed.
    [​IMG]

And my old case. :blush:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  19. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

ohhhh, bright :eeek:
    Looking good, cant wait to see it put together!

20. The_Resetter

Only one reply :waah: