1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Help with powercables...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NoRemorse, 27 Jun 2004.

1. NoRemorse

NoRemorse What's a Dremel?

This is my first post here at this great forum. Hello to you all, I have been looking at your mods for quite some time. Before I begin I think you ought to know a few things:
    -Untill now I dont have any experience in moding computers or anything else.
    -Im from Norway, so dont comment my grammar...
    -I dont currently have any equipment, Ill buy stuff as I go along.

Ok, now for my problem.
    I had this vision:idea: about connecting all my powercables(monitor, speakers etc.) straight into my pc. If this is possible I would have removed the need of carrying a "padde"(the thing where you plug all your power cables into, dunno what you call it in England) when moving your computer. All the cables would have gone straight to the pc and then a single powercable would go from the cabinet(PSU) to the closest wall-outlet.

Think about it, beeing able to plug in your pc in one single walloutlet. :thumb:
    Now, would it work?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2004
  2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

"Padde" = power strip. At least that's what it's called in the states.

Should be simple enough. All you really need to do is take a power strip and affix it to the back of your case so the outlets stick out. Then hack off the end of the 3 prong connector, and attach the right leads in the PSU's mains connector. Only things you'd need to watch out for are using thick enough wire to handle all of the current (burning plastic = bad), making sure any solder joints you make don't get too close to each other (arcing = bad), and ensuring that there's enough space between the outlets on the strip and the case (putting AC through your case = bad). There might be a couple I'm not thinking of, so don't go solely on my advice.

3. NoRemorse

If I do like you proposed could I use any amount of powerstrips, as long as it didnt generate to much heat? Or is there something more to it?

4. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Nice to see another Norwegian on the forums :)

Like whypick said, you have to pay attention to how much current the equipment you plug in use. The thicker a wire is, the more current it can handle.

I don't think there's going to be any more heat, but theres going to be alot of current going through these wires with a monitor, PC and such, so don't use the thinnest wires you can find ;)

Good luck. Careful when you're doing stuff to the PSU, you can get quite a shock from the capacitors, even when the power has been turned off.

5. NoRemorse

Actually im not just another Norwegian, Im another Norwegian from the Kristiansand district (Vennesla to be precise) :D And about the size of that cable... to be on the safe side I think ill use a ... hmm... 5cm cable? Or is that a little thin? :hehe: Honestly I think about using something like that of a real Powerstrip, maybe even thicker :thumb: