1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: MacImposter - 06/07/04 **Large Update** (56k LOL)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Duronboy, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

I have always wanted to do a mac > pc mod but never had the time or the cash to get a case, well i managed to source one from the states and it finally arrived after some stalling by customs in the UK (£21 tax :eeek: ).

Well enough of the chatting, here is the case in its glory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its brand spanking new with a couple scratches on it (from transport i think).

The motherboard going in for the moment is a gigabyte GA-7ZMM with a duron 750 chip, this may change depending on my cash situation but for the moment i just want to get it working rather than a power machine!

I've test fitted the ATX psu in it and it fits perfectly with no modification at all which is always nice.

Next up will be the motherboard which i have 'test' fitted by screwing in a pci card and it seems to line up fine with the slots so ill have to construct some sort of new I/O panel for the back, but for now i will gloat as i've been looking for a G3/G4 case for over 2 years now!!! :D:D:D

Also, some name suggestions would be nice :)

Last edited: 10 Jul 2004
  2. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

hmm maybe "the rotten apple" ? :D

i'm really interested how this will turn out

i actually never saw such a case live (heh there are little less than 0 macs in hungary :D )

3. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

I think the whole 'rotten apple' 'poisoned apple' thing has been rinsed far too much.

I thought about PowerPC (hence the names in the pics) but then again, its not really the most powerful pc lol.

4. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

alreayd been done :rolleyes:

5. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

Win-G3?

I want to see how this one goes.

6. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

Just test fitted the motherboard again, this time with a I/O panel from one of my old cases. Seems to fit in fine so it looks like i should be able to mod the original one to add in this ATX I/O panel without too much hassle :)

Oblig pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(excuse the cloth, its to stop the apple mobo pins from damaging the motherboard ;))

7. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

with a horrible backwards ejecting CD tray. It was Mr Handly and it's in issue 2 of custom PC (as well as in the forums somewhere, or at hexus). I hate to say it but it wasn't very clean. Hopefully our man Duronboy will do us proud. Huge respect for his many mod projects however!

Do it properly please! :)

8. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

Gord's mod was on a G4 and is a little tricker to mod, this one shouldn't be 'too' much of a headache but im not gonna sing my praises before ive even really started!

9. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Why's a G4 trickier? (not being arsey, really wonder what the differences are)

10. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

Wow, that's a great startup case. I like how it seems to be going, keep us updated.

11. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

What is it?

After realising that there is no where to mount the hard drives or the cd-roms, i found something at the bottom of the case:eyebrow: :

[​IMG]

Now those two panels have screws holding them down so i unscrewed them:

[​IMG]

After both of these metal panels were unscrewed i was left with 2 panels and what seems like some sort of bracket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i presume this is something to hold either the hard drives or the cd-rom but as ive never even seen inside a mac case before let alone built one from scratch i actually have no idea!

Does anyone have any ideas? is there like a manual online i can follow to see what parts of the case do what?

As for the G4 case i dont really know, i just think it looks harder than the G3 :worried:

12. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Look at the bottom of your Hard Drive, see the holes? They will line up perfectly to the Hard-Drive Trays (yes, that is what they are!). :D

Also, what about making the rear I/O shield out of Plexi, and the frosting it. Would look excellent, and you could make it fit the stock openeing much better.

13. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

Ah i see, so what is that little bracket for?

Also does that mean i have no cd-rom cage? :(

Perspex? hhmm... maybe, we'll have to see!

14. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

From what I see, your case did not come with the 5.25 cages...see if you can get them off of ebay, otherwise you'll have to fab them youself...

Here, an example...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Jun 2004
  15. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

**** holes, it shouldnt be too hard should it? Infact, could i use a drive cage from an old case?

16. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

Just a quick one before i go to sleep, added a nice coolermaster bl00 LED fan to the PSU so it has a nice glow and is a little bit quieter :)

[​IMG]

17. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

Ive destroyed one of my old projects in order to get a drive cage for this one, so now i have a bunch of pop rivet heads stuck on my drill bit :hehe:

[​IMG]

But on the plus side, i have a drive cage!

[​IMG]

18. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Bad Apple Project log http://www.gordyhand.co.uk/main.php?page=badapple :)

It wasnt possible to use the normal cd bay, none of the g4 conversions have used it as its not possible :(

The only other solution was to raise the cd drive to the top of the case , thats what the guy who did rotten apple a while ago, personally I prefered to retain the orginal look of the front panel :)

Spoon
    Sorry didnt manage to post this sooner , been snowed under.

http://www.applemacparts.com/

If you had told me you needed one a few months back I could have given you then one from my g4 , but I had a clear out b4 xmas when I moved house :(

Last edited: 29 Jun 2004
  19. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

I found that site yesterday but i couldnt find anythign regarding a drive cage, i think ill email them and ask them.

Cheers buddy :)

20. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Fair enough! Looking at your pics I think maybe my "not clean" comment was a little OTT, it's just that Custom included a really nasty picture of your I/O ports bit. Think you should give them a bit of a slap. ;)